Alpha Video Training

Thread: App Server unresponsive after 9 pm - because of clock issue???

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Default App Server unresponsive after 9 pm - because of clock issue???

I have been pulling my hair out over this: for about the past month or so, perhaps more, users have complained that the application becomes nonresponsive after 9 pm. I experienced this last night myself. Click any link or button and it seems to freeze. Looked at Task Manager and low CPU and memory usage - does not look like very active at all. Restarting alpha instances does not help. Rebooting does not help. Same app works very well all day until 9 pm. Works fine this morning, not last night. Could this be related to the clock issue, activation server issue, or what?
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Default App Server unresponsive after 9 pm - because of clock issue???

no, it is not related. it sounds like some other task has been configured to start at 9pm. if you move your server to another machine does the same problem happen at 9pm?

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Default Re: Alpha Developer not working because of clock issue?????????

Hi Selwyn,

That's what I thoughtI, but it occurs on one of my other servers as well. Interesting thing though is that I have 2 applications on the one server - one based on DBF and the other based on MYSQL. The slow down does NOT occur with the newer, SQL based application. I am wondering if it is something to do with the DBF's but this problem seems to occur no matter how many (or few) users are currently logged in. I have been consulting with ZebraHost about this for quite some time and we cannot isolate the problem.
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Default Re: App Server unresponsive after 9 pm - because of clock issue???

"The clock issue" was a problem on the activation server where it had an incorrect clock. This cause all activation requests to fail until the clock was fixed. The clock has been kept accurate since that issue occurred, and is being actively monitored. It has not reoccurred, and if it should, Alpha staff will be notified in advance of it causing problems so it can be preemptively addressed.

The issue you have described would be entirely unrelated. I suggest closely examining the other activity on your server after 9pm. Is there an increase in traffic from somewhere? Are there backups being performed? Is the CPU being throttled for other reasons?
    Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 09-13-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

Real Name
    Rich Fulham

Are the DBF's on the same computer as the Web Server? If not, have you check the CPU usage on that computer?

My guess would be Veeam backups has attached to the computer (web server or data server) at that time and is drawing the system down.

Another guess would be the time schedule for Microsoft automatic updates or maybe MS update is stuck trying to do the same update over-and-over at 9pm because it is failing and it tries again the next day.

It could be another server at zebrahost is clogging up the network at that time. It might be worth mentioning which timzezone you are in and which one of the zebrahost facilities you are using.

Also, are your users spread across the country or are all of you from the same area (service provider network)?

Real Name
    Kenneth

There is two applications running in same server. The other one runs without problems the other one not. So the problem is not in anyway related to the Alpha server.

Real Name
    Rich Fulham

Dr. Traub,
    I would also suggest using Microsoft's Process Explorer on the involved servers to view more detailed information about the running processes and resource utilization. I'd also ask Zebrahost to run a network traffic analysis before and during the problem time.

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Thanks guys for this very good advice!
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.