Alpha Video Training

Thread: How do I create a report which groups and summarizes selected fields

Real Name
    robert muzik

Default How do I create a report which groups and summarizes selected fields

I am a coin collector. I have my coins stored in books. I also have a v8 table which lists all the coins I have and other information about them. The important fields here are the book number and coin value. What I would like to do is create a simple report which lists the total value of all coins in a given book. It would look something like this-

Book Total Value
    1 50
    2 100
    etc.

So, I need to know how to get A5 to find all coins in a single book and there values and to calcualte the total value for only that book. Then, how to create a report in which the book number is only listed once along with the total value.

Any help would be appreciated.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: How do I create a report which groups and summarizes selected fields

Begin by selecting the Reports tab of the controlpanel.
    Use the New toolbar button above the tab.
    Select the table in which your records are stored.

Right click on the Top of the Detail band and choose Insert Group.
    Set the Break on Change In to book.
    Drag-Drop the book field into the newly created Detail Header, specify first (or value in the field if book is numeric).
    Drag-Drop the coinvalue field into the Detail header, specify total.
    In the top menu bar, select Report, Properties, Report Properties, uncheck Has Detail section.
    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 09-18-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    robert muzik

Default Re: How do I create a report which groups and summarizes selected fields

Stan- you're the man. I can't believe you're still here after 18 years. I doubt if you remember me but, I used to routinely help out in this forum. Then, I more or less went full time in another forum and tapered off regular participation here. I celebrated 10 years in that forum a couple of weeks ago but then retired from it because I was being abused by another user and the moderator has, so far, refrained from doing anything about it. In the interim, I didn't do much with A5 so, now I'm back looking for help.

I tried what you said and, after some modification of text and repositioning text, I got almost what I wanted.

The name of the fields are repeated going from book to book. For instance, I see this-

Book Total Value

1 X

Book Total Value

2 X

I've tried to upload a screenshot but have but unsuccessful.

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

This is a report based on a single table? I don't see how anything could get repeated.

records.pngdesign.pngpreview.png

To upload a screenshot or other attachment use the Go Advanced button, scroll down to Manage attachments.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    robert muzik

Yes, it's a single table.

The problem I'm having with Manage attachments is that, when I drag and drop a file, it displays the file content and there's no way to access the options for posting or inserting it into the thread.

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Email it to me.

mathews841@insightbb.com
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    robert muzik

I figured out how to upload a file. Missed the button for Add Files.

Here's how it looks-
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Put/move the field labels in the report header, just the fields go in the group header.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    robert muzik

Just for some clarification, this is what the report set up looks like before I edit and move the text for alignment purposes. I also identified it to not use a Detail section. Note that the actual field name for the book is "Where" instead of "Book", just so you don't get confused by the screenshot-

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

So the two labels, above the fields they name and in bold, move those to the report header. Anything in the group header is repeated every time the group changes. You only want the field contents.

When a field and label are dropped into a report they are usually automatically grouped together. In that case, right click on each pair in turn and choose Ungroup. Then the labels can be moved to the report header.
    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 09-19-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    robert muzik

Hi Stan-

Thanks very much for your help. I've been using Alpha since v1 for DOS (way back in 1990, I think) and had created many tables and reports. Can't believe how much I've forgotten but, I haven't created anything new in 10 years.

Finally got it completed after following your instructions. Gussied it up a little and it's good to go.

Thanks again.