Alpha Video Training

Thread: Memo Database

"Certified" Alphaholic Charles Hoens's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Hoens

Default Memo Database

Hello all!

When I worked in a government computer environment (about 100 years ago) we had, in the computer room, an on-line file we called "OPSTAT". It was a large memo type file in which all the information and routines were placed by the operators on an ongoing basis. So, for example, if I made a change to the system configuration or installed something new or whatever, I logged it into the Opstat log file. At the end of each month the file was archived and a new one was begun. Now this was done using DEC and DCL (Dec command language), but the upthrust was that anyone authorized could view the file and be brought up to date with what was going on in the computer systems area. In fact, we made it required reading for all operators coming on shift, so they couldn't say that they were not aware of some problem or other. It was also searchable, so that if I were looking for a particular user name or system, etc. it would locate the "hit's" for me.

OK. My question is developmental. How can I do this in A5? I'm concerned that the memo fields are not robust enough to withstand constant opening and closing and I'm not sure how they can be searched anyway. Has anyone else encountered this problem and/or does anyone have an idea of how to address this problem? Should I use a Word file, or a searchable PDF file perhaps? I was thinking of logging the note into a memo field and then writing that memo field to a Word file.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Charlie

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: Memo Database

Hi Charles,

I'm not sure memo fields are an issue - provided that users are prohibited form navigating when they are open in any way. If you put the memo in a modal form so edits are isolated from navigation and users are forced to save or cancel any edits, you'll probably be safe from memo corruption. Lots of backups can't hurt either.

I believe memo fields are searchable, but I don't use dbf any more unless for an old client.

I don't know your needs, of course, but I would consider searchable category fields rather than stuff a whole bunch on info in a single memo field. But maybe that's not a good solution for you?

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Oh, you're in web ( I thought it was desktop). Memo fields should be safe, but I guess it depends on how Alpha handles read/writes in web-dbf.

But if your in web, you should seriously consider a SQl backend.

"Certified" Alphaholic Ted Giles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ted Giles

Memo fields can be auto saved when navigating away from the field. That's how I handled the problem.
    Another way is a set with small succint 250k fields spawned off the header. Then you can capture the viewer as well by insisting that the field was opened full size to create an activity.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

http://ec12.example-software.com//
    See our site for Alpha Support, Conversion and Upgrade.