Alpha Video Training

Thread: Travel Agency Software

Real Name
    Jack Lim

Default Travel Agency Software

Good day everyone...

It is possible to use AlphaFive Development Tools to build Travel Agency Software for Front End Operation and Back End Accounting Function?

Anyone has done this before?

Regards

Jack Lim
    Many Thanks.

Jack Lim

Real Name
    Garry M Flanigan

Default Re: Travel Agency Software

No doubt it is possible, it is just a matter of budget!
    In years gone by with desktop apps I used existing commercially available accounting packages but I would be interested to know whether anyone has used a "shrinked wrapped" web based accounting package and tied it into a bespoke Alpha application that uses SQL tables.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Andy Gill

Usually, a commercially available package works out best if your requirements are "typical". If the package doesn't have an accounting module, it would then offer sync with Quickbooks or whatever. If you have unique requirements, then Alpha is certainly an option. It is serious business designing, building and maintaining a real-time, mission-critical system so my advice is don't jump in unless you are highly committed.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Gaby Hernandez

Jack:
    It is more than possible. I have done it on the desktop and currently in the process of converting it to web based with mysql back end. Not only Alpha allows you to do it, but also to do it much better than commercially available packages for travel agencies. As a matter of fact I recently attended (out of curiosity) a demo of Travcom (very similar to TRAMS). While attendees were amazed at the features (from my point of view and knowing Alpha, nothing spectacular), each time the guy was demoing a feature I kept thinking to myself "Oh ya, I can do that in A5 no problem, I can do this and better with a simple script, I can do that with a simple builtin action javascript". The only advantage they have is that their system is directly tied to the reservation system of your choice (Galileo, Sabre, Amadeus...). As an individual travel agency you can't afford the huge cost they charge to be able to do the same, software companies can. So you are left with no other choice than reentering the passengers names, price, PNRs, etc... in Alpha. The advantage you have with Alpha is you can built a more flexible and more feature rich system.
    Also if you are not an accountant or at least intimately know how the data criss cross, it will be a monumental task:
    - Just building a simple (but complete) accounting system is not straightforward.
    - Accounting system for travel agencies has a twist of its own. Sales and Purchases models in the majority of cases are independent of each other. In a TA these 2 events are intimately linked: a sale does not happen without a purchase, and vice versa (except for the Service Fee they charge).

If having accounting integrated with front office is overwhelming for you, the other alternative is to build a front office/Invoicing and a General Ledger separate, and organize your data output in the front office in such way that you manually make a single accounting entry every month in the gen ledger.

Andy:
    You seem to understand the limitation (which translates into a serious dilemma for companies) of commercially available packages.

My own intake on this whole thing is: if you understand the accounting process and are moderately skilled with Alpha, you can build really amazing stuff way beyond any off the shelf packages available on the market today and tomorrow.

Real Name
    Jack Lim

Thank you everyone for your feedback...
    Many Thanks.

Jack Lim

Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

Quote Originally Posted by gaby_h View Post
    Jack:
    ...The only advantage they have is that their system is directly tied to the reservation system of your choice (Galileo, Sabre, Amadeus...). As an individual travel agency you can't afford the huge cost they charge to be able to do the same, software companies can. So you are left with no other choice than reentering the passengers names, price, PNRs, etc...
    Gaby
    I know from experience developing xml interfaces that Sabre, Amadeus and Worldspan ( i guess Galileo too but i didn't write a connection to them ) offer XML Web Services interfacing to their system, and this can be implemented really easy in A5

Jaime

Real Name
    Deepak

Quote Originally Posted by gaby_h View Post
    Jack:
    It is more than possible. I have done it on the desktop and currently in the process of converting it to web based with mysql back end. Not only Alpha allows you to do it, but also to do it much better than commercially available packages for travel agencies. As a matter of fact I recently attended (out of curiosity) a demo of Travcom (very similar to TRAMS). While attendees were amazed at the features (from my point of view and knowing Alpha, nothing spectacular), each time the guy was demoing a feature I kept thinking to myself "Oh ya, I can do that in A5 no problem, I can do this and better with a simple script, I can do that with a simple builtin action javascript". The only advantage they have is that their system is directly tied to the reservation system of your choice (Galileo, Sabre, Amadeus...). As an individual travel agency you can't afford the huge cost they charge to be able to do the same, software companies can. So you are left with no other choice than reentering the passengers names, price, PNRs, etc... in Alpha. The advantage you have with Alpha is you can built a more flexible and more feature rich system.
    Also if you are not an accountant or at least intimately know how the data criss cross, it will be a monumental task:
    - Just building a simple (but complete) accounting system is not straightforward.
    - Accounting system for travel agencies has a twist of its own. Sales and Purchases models in the majority of cases are independent of each other. In a TA these 2 events are intimately linked: a sale does not happen without a purchase, and vice versa (except for the Service Fee they charge).

If having accounting integrated with front office is overwhelming for you, the other alternative is to build a front office/Invoicing and a General Ledger separate, and organize your data output in the front office in such way that you manually make a single accounting entry every month in the gen ledger.

Andy:
    You seem to understand the limitation (which translates into a serious dilemma for companies) of commercially available packages.

My own intake on this whole thing is: if you understand the accounting process and are moderately skilled with Alpha, you can build really amazing stuff way beyond any off the shelf packages available on the market today and tomorrow.
    Hope you have done converting proces web based with mysql. I was trying to do that but unable it as i got an error . if you have done something different let me know here.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

FYI: You're responding to a post 6-years old. I believe that gaby_h has moved on to elsewhere.