Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sending Email from a Gmail account silently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sending Email from a Gmail account silently

Gene,https://documentation.alphasoftware....20Function.xml lists the contents of the dot variable.

Once it contains what you require you can
    Code:
    email_profile_save("profile name", dot variable)
    Last edited by armasoft; 12-03-2018, 05:02 AM. Reason: missed closing bracket (I'm English)

Comment

Originally posted by armasoft View Post
      Gene,https://documentation.alphasoftware....20Function.xml lists the contents of the dot variable.

Once it contains what you require you can
      Code:
      email_profile_save("profile name", dot variable)
      Jon

That function updates an existing email profile.

I think Gene is looking for adding a new profile.

email_profile_add()
      Last edited by Al Buchholz; 12-03-2018, 11:19 AM.
      Al Buchholz
      Bookwood Systems, LTD
      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Look for this in the Help for V11 Gene.

[email_profile_add() Function] type in all of this including "Function"

Shows a few tricks.
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Thanks Alan. I WAS looking for a way to CREATE a new profile with Xbasic. Email_Profile_Add() looks more appropriate.

Ted. Thanks too. I do know that there is a lot of information in the help but I find that it is often hard to eek out.

Regards,

Gene

Comment

Hello again.

This adds a profile OK but it's name is "default". Why is it's name not "System_Backup"??

newPname = "System_Backup"
            Dim pEmail2 as P

email_profile_add(pEmail2,newPname)
            pEmail2.sendusing = S1
            pEmail2.attach_path = S2
            pEmail2.check_interval = S3
            pEmail2.client_alias = S4
            pEmail2.client_hostname = S5
            pEmail2.client_identity = S6
            pEmail2.client_password = S7
            pEmail2.client_username = S8
            pEmail2.formatted_send_option = S9
            pEmail2.inbox = S10
            pEmail2.mail_hostname = S11
            pEmail2.mark_read = S12
            pEmail2.name = S13
            pEmail2.nSMTPAuthSelection = S14
            pEmail2.outbox = S15
            pEmail2.pop_first = S16
            pEmail2.pop_port = S17
            pEmail2.POPSecureConnectionType = S18
            pEmail2.receive_autodelete = S19
            pEmail2.receive_limit = S20
            pEmail2.smtp_password = S21
            pEmail2.smtp_port = S22
            pEmail2.smtp_username = S23
            pEmail2.SMTPSecureConnectionType = S24
            pEmail2.TimeoutSeconds = S25
            pEmail2.xmailer = S26

email_profile_save(newPname,pEmail2)

Comment

Originally posted by Gene FitzPatrick View Post
              Hello again.

This adds a profile OK but it's name is "default". Why is it's name not "System_Backup"??

newPname = "System_Backup"
              Dim pEmail2 as P

email_profile_add(pEmail2,newPname)
              pEmail2.sendusing = S1
              pEmail2.attach_path = S2
              pEmail2.check_interval = S3
              pEmail2.client_alias = S4
              pEmail2.client_hostname = S5
              pEmail2.client_identity = S6
              pEmail2.client_password = S7
              pEmail2.client_username = S8
              pEmail2.formatted_send_option = S9
              pEmail2.inbox = S10
              pEmail2.mail_hostname = S11
              pEmail2.mark_read = S12
              pEmail2.name = S13
              pEmail2.nSMTPAuthSelection = S14
              pEmail2.outbox = S15
              pEmail2.pop_first = S16
              pEmail2.pop_port = S17
              pEmail2.POPSecureConnectionType = S18
              pEmail2.receive_autodelete = S19
              pEmail2.receive_limit = S20
              pEmail2.smtp_password = S21
              pEmail2.smtp_port = S22
              pEmail2.smtp_username = S23
              pEmail2.SMTPSecureConnectionType = S24
              pEmail2.TimeoutSeconds = S25
              pEmail2.xmailer = S26

email_profile_save(newPname,pEmail2)
              You need to include more code since I copied this and it can't resolve some variables. ie S##
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

I'd have thought you build the pointer variable first then run email_profile_add

Comment

Hi Jon and Al.

I guess I am void in my understanding of what building a pointer variable means. I thought that dimming it before using it was all that was needed. Based on your comment, I question my understanding. Please clarify that for me.

Al, the Sx variables just contain the data, character, numeric, or logical, as the case may be, that populate the respective fields. I define those by copying the data that exists in the default profile. In this case, the default profile is based on Comcast and runs just fine. My approach is to present each field to the user, on one form, and allow them to change ONLY the ones that may need to be changed to fit their profile requirements. The next step would be to test their changes and when all goes well, save the data in a DBF under the name of their choice then provide them the choice of making the new profile their default.

Typing these thoughts out makes me question if A5 always saves a profile to 'default' and what I am missing is that I need to first delete the existing default before saving a new one. Is my thinking stinking?

Thanks for your help guys.

Gene

Comment

Gene

I ran your code in v10.5 and v11 and it built the email profile named System_Backup.

Not sure what happened with your system.

What is the flow?
                    build a profile
                    ask the user
                    save new data

Wouldn't you ask the user, then add the profile with the user data unless the user cancels?
                    Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Al.

I am not sure what happened either. I guess I'll have to play with it a bit.

My reason for building before asking is to address the possibility that there may be some email providers that need more information than others. If you know that would not be the case and the list of possible changes can be finitely defined, I would be glad to shift gears and just ask the user for a limited set of data. My goal is to make this whole thing painless for the users and a part of my installation procedure.

Do you believe that is doable? To date, I have had many potential users give up at the start because they could not get the email to work without great pains. Most people are not interested in the details so I want to remove the hassle.

Thanks for your help in this endeavor. I am sure that the many people following our conversation would also find it helpful.

So, the question at this point is which fields represent the complete list of possible changes?

Gene

Comment

Question.
                        Gene, please describe what you would like to hapoen.
                        Forget email profiles, what needs to be done.
                        If it is dependent on email fine, if not, there may be other possibilities.

Comment

Hi Ted.

I have developed a point-of-sale and client record system over the past 7 years that handles everything a natural health facilitator does in our day-to-day business. I say our because I too am a natural health care facilitator. Been so for over 30 years. Anyway, several of the tools I have in this toolkit include mass emailing and providing the clients a copy of specific records at their request via email. Also the sending of receipts is required in some circumstances. So, yes, I need emailing functionality.

Many people are computer-illiterate and I respect their need to use today's technology but find it unfair to expect them to learn how to set it up. When I was the product manager for the US for a product that was developed in the UK, I learned that generally speaking, the folks on your side of the pond like to tinker and make things their own. However, the US market place does not like to take the time to do so. They want everything to function out-of-the-box. This is what I am addressing by doing everything I can for them in a way that is transparent to the user.

I hope this sums it up and provides some insight for the readers.

Regards,

Gene

Comment

Thanks Ted.

Comment

Don't know if you resolved this Gene, but one way would be to insist on a Gmail account so you only have one type of account to mess with.

Comment

Working...
                              X