Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Five has stopped working error 41244

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Five has stopped working error 41244

Hi everyone,

I have a client who has been having issues with opening Alpha Five Runtime version 11 Build 3381, Addin build 4096. The error is "Alpha Five has stopped working" and can be seen in the screenshot attached.

First, has anyone ever run across this problem where it consistently reoccurs...I have seen this message but a few times over the years and closing and reopening Alpha has always resolved it...not this time!

The error code 41244 was obtained by running the debug from the error dialog box...whether this error is the error regarding Alpha or the debugger I do not know. Anyone know the meaning of this code?...it is not listed in the error codes I can get.

Alpha is connected to by 5 users via remote desktop to a Terminal Server.

I and one other can use Alpha with NO issues. Others can only start Alpha say 1 out of 4 times without error. Once started, if they close Alpha and then reopen, the error occurs. The best results in opening Alpha is when they log off the server and log back in and try it....but does not always work.

It seems like having QuickBooks open influences whether Alpha can open...could be coincidence. The only possible here, IMO, is that having QuickBooks open would cause less computer memory...which, at times, is fairly low (as low as 1000mb Available, 0 free--16 gb total ram). But I can open Alpha without issue when memory is this low.

Some troubleshooting aspects that have been checked out or tried:

All users have exactly the same Windows permissions.
    Alpha was installed by choosing "Run as Administrator".
    All shortcuts have been changed to "Run as Administrator"...which worked for quite a few times, but failed (error message) the next day.
    Verified that prior to trying to connect that there is only one instance of Alpha running via task manager (imagine a different error would occur from RMUF).
    Users have rebooted computers.
    Terminal Server had been restarted.

'--------------------------------------
    The line in red above seems to be the biggest lead as it worked for a short time after doing it.

Could it be a bad install of Alpha on the computers affected?
    Could it be that the Terminal Server somehow resets the permissions or ignores them?

I will add more if I try anything else.

Thanks for looking,

Mike
    Attached Files
    Mike

Re: Alpha Five has stopped working error 41244

I gave permissions in my AV firewall to allow all activity from Alpha - have you checked that?
    Do you have the EXE running from within Program Files?
    Have you tried opening Alpha Sports instead of your app?

Things you probably already know...
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

I googled the error number.
      May well be a windows issue.
      What version of windows is running?
      I have had recent issues which seem to disappear when Compact Workspace is run after windows updates and Alpha development work.
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Thanks Robin,

Exe is in My Documents...I place Alpha there or in the root of the C drive as a matter of course. Good idea though as that would have been a possible cause if on different computers---this is on a Terminal Server in which Alpha is installed one time on the server.

The antivirus should not be the issue as well as it should only be on the server...but will check this out for sure.

I did not try AlphaSports but do not believe that is part of Runtime.
        Mike

Comment

Ted,

Thanks for the information...never thought it could be a Windows issue as it sure looked to be an Alpha one from the message. It is a Terminal Server...I do not know exactly what version. Doubt it is a version issue as 2 out of 5 users can open Alpha. It sure is acting like a permissions issue but cannot find any differences of permissions between the users who can and cannot open Alpha.

I did run a Compact but forgot to mention it.

Mike
          Mike

Comment

I have a (another!) meeting with their IT guy now and maybe we can figure out something...I will post back regardless with any updates.

Thanks.
            Mike

Comment

Are you shadowing Mike?

Comment

Not shadowing.

I talked with the client's IT guys...it is still up in the air whether a Windows (server) issue or Alpha...Some things point to the server from their log files and one entry mentioned Alpha (nothing specific).

I did come up with a possible answer for them and if they cannot resolve it today I will meet on Sunday to reinstall Alpha utilizing a special Window's installation called "Install Application on Remote Desktop Server" located in the control panel...I had not heard of that before but according to a google search, there can be specific User application configuration compatibility issues with the ini file created when installing using the standard Windows installer.

Grasping at straws here. Their IT people are too! I appreciate the time thinking about this.

I will report back (probably Sunday) when more information is obtained.
                Mike

Comment

I'm working Sunday too!
                  Have you explored "Using less secure apps".
                  I had an issue with email using Alpha. Setting it to use less secure apps fixed my issue.
                  What made you decide to not use shadowing?

Comment

Seems like "Using less secure apps" is just related to email settings...There is a setting in Remote Desktop to allow any version to run but all the users can and have been using Remote Desktop to access all their programs since the get-go.

I did forget to mention that this issue only arose in the past few weeks...I was thinking some kind of update but seeing as how Alpha is only located on the server and all users use the same desktop (and therefore the same updates) just in different threads.

As the client wanted to place Alpha on their server for all to access (some only very seldom) I did not use shadowing. The ini file, to me, so far seems to be the best bet on why some users can open Alpha without ever having an issue and others can only open Alpha say maybe one time out of four. Will find out Sunday I guess.

There just is no consistency that has been found so far.
                    Mike

Comment

I remember being hauled over the coals by our Citrix admin years ago for installing Alpha without using that special install method. Ouch! One other thing to try, if you have access to the Alpha5 exe file and have admin privileges on the server, right click on the exe file, select properties, security and make sure that all users' boxes are set to allow "Full Control". That setting has solved some strange issues for us in the past.
                      Finian

Comment

Finian,
                        Thanks for chiming in. The Full Control was checked out for each user...I had the IT guy make certain that every user has the same credentials. I too have had some issues with permissions...Especially in Windows10 !!

Did your Citrix admin mention any of the issues that can arise due to not installing using that method? I only found out about the ini being one issue due to not installing using that method...but nothing that specifically stated exactly what can happen. I am only guessing and their IT guys agree that maybe it could be our issue.
                        Mike

Comment

As I recall, he said that it was the only way to ensure that each new session was allocated all the right permissions as users logged in. It seemed arbitrary to me since I knew that I and other colleagues had used the "wrong" method many times - for years, in fact - for Alpha re-installations on the servers without any apparent problems. Hopefully it will work in your case.

At the time, as I recall, we were having an issue with queries and temp files, as if the system was confused over whose files belonged to which user. I think we tried to solve it with an elaborate process of setting every instance to a specific temporary file location based on the user name during startup. Some of our TS issues were never fully resolved.

In my present position we have eliminated TS entirely and replaced it with virtual machines using HyperV, accessed by Remote Desktop. We don't have to worry about TS seats. We have about 12 active VM's with the Alpha Runtime installed and they are generally tied back to a specific workstation. We have a further 12 VM's available should they be required. All the desktops have the Alpha Runtime installed running locally with 2 desktop shortcuts, one for the local Alpha and the other for the Virtual machine.The shadows are required on machines with hardware devices (mostly scanners) attached since they have to have a physical connection. Our cameras use IP addressing so they can run on both shadow and VM. I'd say that at this point I don't miss either TX or Citrix.
                          Finian

Comment

Hi All,

The issue has been cured...but not directly. My client's IT installed a different version of Remote Desktop and everything works now. So whatever caused it was within Remote Desktop. I wish the error that was produced was more specific as it led me(and others) incorrectly to believe it could be an Alpha issue.

Thanks again for everyone's contributions. At least I learned about how an application should be installed when Remote Desktop is going to be run so not a total loss!
                            Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X