Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Pre-release 5460 Nov 14 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-release 5460 Nov 14 2018

Could someone have a quick look at this release and see if it completely breaks the UX?
    I installed it as an update to 5458.

Alpha_5460.PNG

Re: Pre-release 5460 Nov 14 2018

Yep it does, nothing renders in the previews of on the server, reported the bug earlier

Comment

Why is it so hard for Alpha to perform a simple test on their releases???

Comment

Selwyn has confirmed a JavaScript bug was introduced and has apologised for the inconvenience

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
          Why is it so hard for Alpha to perform a simple test on their releases???
          David, I have noticed you express this sentiment regarding pre-releases more than once recently, so I would like make sure you are aware of how pre-releases work. As explained in red text at the top of the pre-release notes, these are our nightly builds and they are shared with subscribers to give you an opportunity to test functionality and evaluate new features in advance of an official release. These are NOT tested builds, and these are NOT intended to be used in production. Using a pre-release carries the risk that something very well may be broken.

Trust me when I say that the development team at Alpha finds bugs in Alpha Anywhere to be even more disappointing than you do. That said, it sounds as if pre-releases do not meet your expectations and as such you may be best served by avoiding using any of our pre-releases and instead waiting for an official release to be issued. While it would be impossible to guarantee that every official release is 100% perfect, these releases are more carefully vetted before being made available in order to ensure a higher level of reliability.

Lenny Forziati
          Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
          Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Lenny, if you released fixes for the official release without mixing in new features then I wouldn't have to deal with untested pre-releases. But you don't. You release bug fixes for the official release, untested... and new features, untested... all in one pre-release... and then absolve yourself of any responsibility for the bugs introduced.

No one expects every official release to be 100% perfect... but you should test the pre-releases, and test official release bug fixes... to ensure that they at least run.

Comment

Alphas Pre Release Build is an unique feature of Alpha. We all know how it works. Alpha brings new features to developers NOW not next year. In every pre release build these new features become more stable and Alpha adds something new or change something. Then is time for Official release. AND If you find a critical problem that has to be solved you know if you report it to Alpha then Alpha will release a special build (just to solve your problem) next day. But of cource you do not have to use this pre release build which will solve your problem, that sure. You can always wait for next official version...

I use also ColdFusion. Lets compare. In Coldfusion after initial version you get updates for two years and then new official version. Updates do not have any new features. Alpha has in same period about same number of official releases than ColdFusion gets updates but Alpha has a lot of new features also. Alpha ALSO brings available about 200 (100 per year) pre releases at same time period.

Alphas decision to put pre release builds available is a big advantage to us developers. Now some put official (2-3 per year) and pre release builds (100) in same line. They have identical requirements for both. These developers misuse pre release builds and message board and seem like they want in any cost to stop this Alphas development cycle.
              Last edited by kkfin; 11-15-2018, 03:07 AM.

Comment

I actually think the overall modus operandi is fantastic in so much as it gives us access to new features very early. My only criticism, which I hope is taken in the constructive way it is intended, is what happens immediately after a new production release. It is inevitable that even with production releases there will be some bugs as is the case with the latest release. For me the list control pagination bug is the one that prevents me from updating many applications as this is used everywhere on those applications. Now I know that it has been fixed in a pre release BUT that pre release also includes yet more new features and evidently that has created another issue. For me I would rather that for a period of time after a production release focus be given to fixing any bugs that quickly become evident and that the pre release refrains from new features until they are sorted. Because Alpha is normally so quick to solve these issues that would give a short period of time to consolidate production releases without jeopardising the ongoing advances in the product.

So in summary a week after the last production release from what I can see 8 bugs have been identified and fixed which is fantastic news BUT a new feature has been added to the pre release and this appears to have introduced another bug as mentioned on the Q&A webinar yesterday.

So would a sensible approach be to place a moratorium on new features be put prevent such features appearing for say a couple of weeks? That way production releases can get the maximum usage from the subscribers.
                Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Glen... those are my sentiments exactly... something I've been trying to get Alpha to understand for quite some time... unsuccessfully. I wouldn't even want to see a temporary stop to new features releases but rather put official bug fixes into a separate track. Release an update build containing only bug fixes for the official build. I can't fix an official install with a pre-release... it's too dangerous... and not recommended by Alpha.

For a new features pre-release... at least run it through an install and quick test before release. All that effort went into List Page Navigation... and it's really excellent... but failed 100% upon release. Why wouldn't Alpha want to go through an internal install and test just to ensure it would work?

Anyway... the culture at Alpha is set. We've heard the same message from several people at Alpha... so... nothing will change.

Comment

Originally posted by glenschild View Post
                    For me I would rather that for a period of time after a production release focus be given to fixing any bugs that quickly become evident and that the pre release refrains from new features until they are sorted. Because Alpha is normally so quick to solve these issues that would give a short period of time to consolidate production releases without jeopardising the ongoing advances in the product.

So would a sensible approach be to place a moratorium on new features be put prevent such features appearing for say a couple of weeks? That way production releases can get the maximum usage from the subscribers.
                    Yes, I agree with this 100% Glen. This would help avoid the problematic infinite loop of there's a bug in the "Official Release" and you need to use the "Pre-Release" to fix it .. but the caveat is don't use pre-releases in a production environment. It's a real dilemma unless you have an exact duplicate development environment to test it first (which we don't have).

I also think David is correct that there should be a separate bug fix only track for Official Releases.
                    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Originally posted by iRadiate View Post
                      Yes, I agree with this 100% Glen. This would help avoid the problematic infinite loop of there's a bug in the "Official Release" and you need to use the "Pre-Release" to fix it .. but the caveat is don't use pre-releases in a production environment. It's a real dilemma unless you have an exact duplicate development environment to test it first (which we don't have).

I also think David is correct that there should be a separate bug fix only track for Official Releases.
                      The one thing I did not make clear is that I think that it is not possible to assume that all found bugs can be fixed in one pre release but if the only items in a pre release for a period time after a production release are bug fixes then after that period of time a fresh production release is issued and then back to new developments. It is the mixture of bug fixes with new development work that causes me issues.
                      Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Maybe just an updated "official release" and onward with the pre-releases! I love them!
                        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

For developer it is naive to think that there really is error free software release. I remember one Alpha developer did with poker face suggest that Alpha should publish pre release in afternoon and spend morning testing. This would solve problem.

This all brings in my mind an other software I use where new version is now about a year late. During this time the current version has been getting just error fixes. In Incident reports I can see that current version has have 89 new errors (63 sirous 26 minor) Normally in release lifetime records shows error amount about 30 (20-10). This just tells that errors are found all the time when times go by. The Company still has reputation of good quality code and I have feeling it is now the most error free software after classic ASP.

Lets just face the fact that we Alpha developers are in good position. When we found an error Alpha will fix it immediately and you get brand new pre release version. Now it is your choice to decide and wonder is this so mandatory error that I have to take pre release version in production or do I wait for next official version. We have this option others do not.

But just as life goes on it is sure that error hunting goes on like chicken hunting for dinner.

Comment

Does anyone know how to get info on the hotfixes that Alpha has released? Should we apply them only if we have a certain problem? Should we deploy them in production? Should they be installed on the server and on the client? There seems to be little information on what they actually do.

Comment

Well Ive been really happy with the alpha pre-release / main release cycle.

I always give at least a week before rolling a release to live. Some stuff breaks, but enough new stuff is added to more than make up for it.

Coming from a Microsoft .NET/Visual Studio release cycle Alpha is like warp speed when it comes to bug fixes and new features.

Comment

Working...
                              X