Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New property sheet behaviour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New property sheet behaviour

Originally posted by Beta Spark View Post
    Hello Mike,

We very much want to hear from you on any behaviors in the new prop grid that are unexpected, including this one. There should be no difference between the new property grid and the old one (Unless it is an improvement, of course!)
    So, I did just that. It's not a bug as I suspected.

Alpha changed the way checkboxes are checked to have a bigger target area to toggle the checkbox. I honestly am indifferent to the change. Either way works for me.

I did ask Alpha to consider putting the grid lines back in and they said they'd look into it.
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

Would have been nice to know about the change in behaviour regarding the checkbox. Did you ask Alpha about property settings randomly disappearing?

Comment

No, I didn't. It didn't occur to me at the time. I still mostly use 5221 so I'm not as affected as others. I don't anticipate asking either unless I personally can duplicate the behavior...which I can't.
        Mike Brown - Contact Me
        Programmatic Technologies, LLC
        Programmatic-Technologies.com
        Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

Sarah,
          As Davaid said in post # 13, there is an example of a property sheet for a LIST in a UX not keeping in sync with the user's input. I actually see something go wrong twice near the end of that video. Here are the key times of interested that I observe:

50:24 Dave asks a new question about using a single search field on a UX to simultaneously search a parent and child LIST.

51:04 Dion starts to create the LISTCUSTOMERS LIST

51:44 Dion starts to create LISTORDERS LIST
          52:08 He selects LISTCUSTOMERS as the parent list.
          52:24 He tries to go to Working Preview and receives the error: "Script: a5web_getListHiearchicalFieldsJSON() line 122 property not found INTERMEDIATE.000000ad.v.listview.fieldsArray.fields

52:35 He gets a popup message saying "The parent List id for this component is not valid: LISTCUSTOMERS The list name has to be valid, he picked it from a dropdown list. When he goes to look at the properties for LISTORDERS it shows the correct parent id "LISTCUSTOMERS", but that ID appears twice in the dropdown list.

53:53: In a different UX he has just added Action Javascript to BUTTON_2
          54:55 He runs in W/P to find the Action Javascript is not doing anything
          55:20 He returns to the Action Javascript for BUTTON_2 and finds nothing there. He has to put the AJS back in.

Comment

I saw that ;)
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Same, embarrassing for Dion though.
              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
              Albert Einstein, (attributed)
              US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

So the checkbox behaviour isn't a bug, it's a feature!

I work on a 27 inch screen. I'll get used to it, but I wouldn't design an application that allows toggle of a checkbox when I click 10 inches away from it.

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                  Same, embarrassing for Dion though.
                  I look forward to the day we're past this kind of stuff. It's not embarrassing for anyone. It's simply an indication that's something may be random and is an issue.

Comment

Using the latest release, 5487, here's one example of an issue with the Property Grid and settings disappearing. This isn't just control settings... but wider spread as in that Q&A session. However, this scenario I can duplicate. Can someone else try this and report back if it works or doesn't work?

http://youtu.be/7vllN-Hl5xY?hd=1

To replicate this, copy a setting like text-align:left; into the clipboard. Now, open a UX, and find a TextBox control where you can apply this setting... e.g. Style. Paste the style in and then click on another control. The control you just clicked on is NOT highlighted... but rather your original control is. Now click on your 2nd control again... this time it is highlighted... and now paste the setting into Style and then click on another control. If you go back to your 2nd control, the setting got wiped out.

Comment

Thats excellent replication steps followed them on my install, same result, so hopefully they should be able to fix it. Have you submitted a bug?

Version 12.4.5.4.6 Build 5447
                      System Addins: Build 5206

Comment

If you paste into the setting, then click into it and hit the space bar it will stay. It's as though the control doesn't go "dirty" unless you actually click into it and do something, other than just paste a value.
                        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesParker View Post
                          If you paste into the setting, then click into it and hit the space bar it will stay. It's as though the control doesn't go "dirty" unless you actually click into it and do something, other than just paste a value.
                          You've already clicked into the property... that's why paste sets the value. Do you really want to have to touch a property 4 times to get a setting to stick?

What Alpha is doing is fudging the process programmatically. That's why clicking on another control doesn't work either. All you get is a lot of flickering because Alpha is mucking around with the setting making sure it sticks. But that only works once.

As I've said, it's a trade-off. We can either have Alpha blow up consistently with the old property grid, or deal with multiple quirks of the new.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Freestone View Post
                            Thats excellent replication steps followed them on my install, same result, so hopefully they should be able to fix it. Have you submitted a bug?

Version 12.4.5.4.6 Build 5447
                            System Addins: Build 5206
                            No... multiple bad experiences have turned me off the process. Plus... I was spending hours each week documenting and submitting bugs... it got to be too much... and there are too many... so I just work around them now.

Comment

You folks that discover the bugs and submit reports should be given a discounted or free subscription based on qty found. Instead of paying for the privilege to do QC on a product. I get the feeling Alpha knows they have a captive unpaid QC dept in this forum...

Comment

The new property grid now has it's lines back... and a checkbox only gets set when you actually click on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X