Alpha Video Training

Thread: SomeComponent_v1,v2,v3..........

Real Name
    Bob Senski

Default SomeComponent_v1,v2,v3..........

Anybody do this as they are developing a component? Ever intensely work a component for a few hours and then watch Alpha vapor lock? not responding
    Reminds me of the 80s after typing a term paper with Word perfect on the due date only to watch it through blood shot eyes di-pixelize in the abyss between your RAM and Hard Drive . Generally this problem has been solved haven't lost a document in a decade. How could it be solved in Alpha Developer as we advance our components? Better yet how could we time machine our work in developer?

Be cool if you could go back to some moment in time on a project. It would make backing up your work obsolete.
    Last edited by bob9145; 12-20-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: SomeComponent_v1,v2,v3..........

I guess you could use version control, like Github. But even then, it would require you to push the update to the cloud every so often. Sometimes I don't push up stuff for days. I guess it's like a discipline thing. But by the same token you could just use Alpha's backup. Just backup every hour or so if you feel it's necessary. Not as fast as using a repository as Github, but similar in effect, sort of.

Real Name
    Bruce Jonson

Are you talking Web components?
    As you can go restore back to any of the last saves they are all there. I LIVE by this feature. I don't know how many times I have made a changes that the component has toasted itself and no matter if you reverse what you just did, it is still toast. So I just go back and restore it from a previous save ... which is often as I work, save, publish, see result... do all over again.RestoreBackup.JPG

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

I agree that's a useful feature. The only problem for someone as paranoid as me is, I save seemingly every minute so I end up with 100's of iterations. It ends up being which which is which?

Real Name
    Bob Senski

never used it thanks even though I stared at it a zillion times. Handy! Wow how did I miss that one. Woke up thinking this would be a piontless post. Just goes to show there are no dumb questions!
    Last edited by bob9145; 12-21-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Real Name
    Kenneth

But maybe dump question is Edge asking to be your default browser.

Real Name
    Bruce Jonson

Nope, no dumb questions... that is what I always tell myself before I post on this message board :)

Real Name
    Bruce Jonson

Quote Originally Posted by kkfin View Post
    But maybe dump question is Edge asking to be your default browser.

Real Name
    Bruce Jonson

Quote Originally Posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    I agree that's a useful feature. The only problem for someone as paranoid as me is, I save seemingly every minute so I end up with 100's of iterations. It ends up being which which is which?
    Yeah an't that true!!! I wish there was a way of seeing the save number when you save it without having to close it and open the save list. I have spent many hours working my back through the save list to find a version that isn't busted...
    When working on big components that are a little touchy I will often write down time stamps on a notepad when I am making changes... especially lists in old components.

I see in the pre-relese they are now allowing you to set a limit as to how many backup you keep.

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Along this lines, I was using a pre-release last week. I was using the reorder feature to drag a row up and down and it stopped working at one point. I went back into my database to find out when it was working last then went back in to restore the working component at the time. Sure enough the code was the same, then I realized I had installed a pre-release around that same time. So I went back to the last official release - it now works as expected. I haven't tested out the latest pre-release so not sure if they fixed it or not as I didn't report it since they have since released new "pre-releases" but the moral of the story is those backups are awesome. I am concerned though about that new feature, what if I don't work on a component for 30 days? do I lose all my backups?
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Gregg Schmidt

Once I have something working the way I think I want, I typically saveAs later edits using a slightly different name.

Real Name
    Doron

Post Re: SomeComponent_v1,v2,v3..........

Hello There,

On top of the above, I will use Acronis True Image to rum incremental back up of the HD you have into a NAS unit like Sinology or any other device.

Regards,

Doron
    The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Main Web Site: https://www.dFarber.com

Avis Car Rental Software
    MS SQL Blog: https://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog/