Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Simple phonegap-android app becoming not-responsive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple phonegap-android app becoming not-responsive

Hi,

I am New and had configured this simple test app
    to randomly generate upto 999 records and to be
    displayed in a List-Control

Inside a UX where the UX is in one of the PANEL (1)

I also put together a timer, where these data being re-generated at time interval
    from 3 seconds to one minutes.

HERE IS MY ISSUES :

After prolonged running on timer event.
    typical one hour or more ???

I begin to noticing the Android-Tablet touch becoming very NON-RESPONSIVE.

This is especially by touching the PANEL-TAB at the bottom of the screen.
    However, having a physical button that direct it to go to say PANEL-6 and
    returning to HOME-PANEL (1) in most case do-able.

What is it that get-accumulated or loaded to a point that this behaviour
    started to effect the performance of the APP on android.

Is there somethingi should be done like clear buffers ? "SOMETHING" before re-running
    the creation of the random-data.

I appreciate your assiatnce .

Enclosed :

working-APK
    The actual UX
    TASKMGR-debug.3359410.88.ziptimer_test.a5wcmp

thanking in advance.

Nicholas

Re: Simple phonegap-android app becoming not-responsive

Has anyone tried the APK on android tablet .
    after more modifications, i remain having the same experince of a total slowed down
    after running it for 4195 times ...@ 10 seconds each sortie...
    its completely tutle slow...

however, a reboot of the app... would restore the performance to perfect..

appreciate ANY-SUGGESTIONS

Comment

I've not noticed any issues like this... but I've also not run something 4,195 times... without or without shutting down the app.

Is this process something that will be common to your app?

Does iOS suffer the same ill effects?

Comment

thanks for reply
        never tried IOS ... android is the first one ...
        yes this is suppose to be the plan to have the APP.
        making calculation against a local-stored data ...
        whihc i want/wish to have it synch to the MS-SQL at a server ...

so i plan to produce the data and feed a simple LIST-CONTROL
        to display the data , at a minimum interval every 5 minutes.

like 12 times per hour ...

it was during this over night test on three seperate APK
        i experienced a total slowed-down ...

while there is no real APP being produced ...
        and since i see this delay issues on all three APK.

i therefore decide to produce one simple one to the community
        to see if anyone out there can detect the similar problem.

I have ran it on an LG tablet ...

my real curiocity .. if there is such tools or way to determine
        what had taken-down the performance ...

I have not actually tested running LIVE-PREVIEW
        perhaps someone can help me detect the issues via debug ?

sorry its beyond me ...

Yes , I wish to see it run continuosly ....
        would accpet a REBOOT at midnight perhaps.//

meaning at least 24 hours running ...
        24 X 12 sorties of refresh(es)

thanks
        Nick

Comment

I doubt it matters, but knowing the version and build of Alpha would be helpful. Also knowing the version of Android would be good.

Also, your goal is 288 refreshs per day. I understand the concept of wanting to ensure the app works beyond its design, but 4,195 is quite a bit more.

What happens after 288 refreshes? After 100? After 10?
          Last edited by Davidk; 01-02-2019, 01:51 PM.

Comment

If you are running it on a device and it hasn't synchronized the data in small batches, then it's going to slow it down. I would work on the sync process and tweak it to get better performance. Typically, on mobile apps you are adding the records on the client side, and then synchronizing them. As you add more records locally it's using more local (in app) memory on the device...as you add more records it has to sync more...as your list grows it takes more memory to display it. If you are asking it to always refresh all the data on sync, then it will slow down for sure as the list grows. When you restart the device and app it will speed back up because it has cleared all of it's local memory and isn't synchronizing and refreshing as much data.

Comment

Thanks Sean & David ...

There is no-synch to server "ever" based on my sample ... purelt "STAND-ALONE" as it
              no sql, no new records ... just delete the static-list
              and populated with random records ......

12.45.46 built 5447
              Built 5206 ... add in

can you give me some hint on clearing the MEMORY each time/before/the random codes being generated ???
              i appreciate that IDEA

Comment

DAVID,

refresh every 5 minutes is desireable ... like getting latest news or weather to show on tablet
                is it out of specs ?

i am sure, there are users who is using such timer-query-populate method ...
                my sample is purely ... the simplest LIST-CONTROl & no server call
                no-;ocal storage that i am awared off

unless someone can point me to such unintentional setting that i a, not clear

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by webdesignshop View Post
                  if you are running it on a device and it hasn't synchronized the data in small batches, then it's going to slow it down. I would work on the sync process and tweak it to get better performance. Typically, on mobile apps you are adding the records on the client side, and then synchronizing them. As you add more records locally it's using more local (in app) memory on the device...as you add more records it has to sync more...as your list grows it takes more memory to display it. If you are asking it to always refresh all the data on sync, then it will slow down for sure as the list grows. When you restart the device and app it will speed back up because it has cleared all of it's local memory and isn't synchronizing and refreshing as much data.
                  how to clear memory without rebooting ????

Comment

I don't think there is a memory problem (see the attached screenshot of the Performance monitor representing a "refresh" every 3 seconds). Just before the 22 seconds mark, a garbage collector runs and seems to reset everything to nicer levels. I think you are getting the classic rendering lag that many SPA's are victim of.

Will you need to render a 1000 rows for the user to see and scroll through? I noticed that the list virtualization wasn't turned on. That being said, I didn't actually install the apk (can't really trust an unknown apk).
                    Seems like you explicitly refresh the list a lot.
                    I didn't go through it to see if you stop the timer or the explicit refresh as you navigate to another panel. I believe the simple fact of navigating to another panel will refresh the list... and if you are explicitly calling for some list refreshes at "the same time", well, you are going to get javascript engine to block the rendering engine a lot (the red 0 FPS periods you see in the Performance monitor screenshot).

Where it is possible, I would add the optional honorChangeEvent argument to false for the {dialog.object}.setValue() method. You seem to have some hide/show expressions that will mess with the DOM on one panel as you are perhaps refreshing the list (more heavy DOM manipulation) while navigating to another panelcard (even more DOM manipulation as, in some cases, Android will be triggering the resize event and the list will be redrawn again)...

You might want to add a little console.log() to the list's onListDraw event to see the number of times the list gets redrawn. You might be surprised.2019-01-02 11_50_09-Window.png

Comment

a very encouraging response from you
                      i thank you for that and will try my best to understand your explanation

in real live usage , i would be happy to perform this every 2 minutes ...
                      and there wont be more than 50 records to be munipulated .

for purpose of this stress-test, i found codes that would rendomly generate
                      upto 999 records ...

yes , i wont be expecting refresh every 3 seconds ...
                      trust a 120 seconds would be sufficience to menipulate a local storage (eventually)
                      where the local storage would be "refreshed" to server before the munipulation
                      to take place ... so would be more than 120 seconds per sortie

would appreciate more assiatance or suggestion .

since my simple UX is enclosed , hope someone can suggest
                      what/where codes to be added to bring this to a smoother operation @ APK

thanking in advance

Comment

When you render a list, unless it's set for virtualization, all of the list data will be loaded into app memory. App memory is limited on all devices exept for Windows (I believe), although it's larger for Android than IOS. In your case, all of the app data resides in local memory anyway. If you notice that it runs ok on a desktop, but has issues on the mobile device, that could tell you it's a memory management issue. If it runs better after you reboot the device that could tell you it's a memory management issue.

I don't know if this will help...but try it:

Make the list persist to Local Storage
                        Turn on list virtualization

Even though you are still using in app memory this way, it will separate the data from the app display and use less "browser" memory. Right now the javascript is holding all the data. With persisting to local storage it's in a json file. Try it and let me know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by WebDesignShop View Post
                          When you render a list, unless it's set for virtualization, all of the list data will be loaded into app memory. App memory is limited on all devices exept for Windows (I believe), although it's larger for Android than IOS. In your case, all of the app data resides in local memory anyway. If you notice that it runs ok on a desktop, but has issues on the mobile device, that could tell you it's a memory management issue. If it runs better after you reboot the device that could tell you it's a memory management issue.

I don't know if this will help...but try it:

Make the list persist to Local Storage
                          Turn on list virtualization

Even though you are still using in app memory this way, it will separate the data from the app display and use less "browser" memory. Right now the javascript is holding all the data. With persisting to local storage it's in a json file. Try it and let me know how it goes.
                          all implemented as suggested ... test is being run ...TASKMGR-debug.3359410.89.ziptimer_test.a5wcmp

enclosed updated ... APK & UX

thanks everyone

Comment

it has ran for 150 sorties ... no slow down so far
                            a very encouraging adjustment ... now virtualized to show 10 records on the LIST-CONTROL

Comment

I believe that once you populate the list with all that data, whether you have virtualization on or not, the list object in memory contains the data. However, if you don't turn on virtualization, not only do you have all that data in the list object, but you render the list box with possibly many thousands of new DOM nodes. I believe his app (simple for the moment) was already getting up to something like 65000 nodes. Many tablets just will not be able to get rid of and then recreate and re-render many thousands of nodes so quickly. And especially not be fast if it keeps redrawing because of explicit refreshes and additional refreshes that you might not expect. Some Android versions are firing off resizes, and therefore redraws, at the most unexpected moments. For instance, no need to even go to another panelcard to see the bad lag; simply put focus on one of the textboxes in order to fire off the virtual keyboard and you'll see at least 2 redraws of the whole app. in the Performance tab of Chrome DevTools if you launch a recording. I don't believe iOS behaves the same way if the keyboard pops up (ie. the viewport dimensions do not change because the virtual keyboard is more of an overlay rather than the case on Android where the keyboard actually keeps reducing the viewport size).

One additional test you could try would be to check the "Full Screen" option in the PhoneGap App Build dialog and compare to the version without the option. You may also want to add the Status Bar plugin and hide it while the app is open. I seem to get less resizing firing off in Android when the statusbar is hidden.

Comment

Working...
                              X