Alpha Video Training

Thread: Can I convert old desktop reports to web project (.a5rpt) reports?

Real Name
    Brad Steinfeldt

Default Can I convert old desktop reports to web project (.a5rpt) reports?

I'm trying to convert my desktop app to a web based sql app. I have several reports that I'd like to convert to web .a5rpt reports. Once transferred, it would be nice to be able to just change the fields and some structure instead of re-creating from scratch.

This is what I've tried:
    1. I've got the desktop app running on one incidence of Alpha and the web app running on another.
    2. I right click a report and select export layout.
    3. Alpha creates an .a4pkg file
    4. I go to the web app and right click in the reports tab of the control panel.
    5. I select the file of and Alpha asks if I want to overwrite or rename the file. There's no files on the web app, so I'm wondering what's up.
    6. I give it a different name. It doesn't import. Instead, I notice a second copy on the desktop app.
    7. I shut down the desktop app, and I still get the same issue, a copy on the desktop app.

Is this a bug created because I have had two incidences of Alpha running at once? More importantly, are these the steps I should be taking, or is there a better way?

Thanks,
    Brad
    Brad Steinfeldt

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

Default Re: Can I convert old desktop reports to web project (.a5rpt) reports?

Was your old desktop app based on an SQL database? Mine was based on dB files and all had to be re-created once I switched to SQL.

Real Name
    Brad Steinfeldt

Default Re: Can I convert old desktop reports to web project (.a5rpt) reports?

It's based on dbf. So, I assume I'll have to re-create all my reports. Thanks for letting me know I'm screwed. ha, ha.
    I tried to cut and past from one editor to the other. That sort of works, but it's probably more work than it's worth.

Not that it matters to me, but do you know the reason for the other issue, why it will import the report back to the same dbf that I just exported it from? If I were going from dbf to a different dbf, seems it would be pretty worthless. It must either be a bug or something I don't understand.
    Brad Steinfeldt