Alpha Video Training

Thread: SQL Query error since update

Real Name
    John Walsh

Default SQL Query error since update

Good morning all -

We use MSSQL filestream FileTables as part of a document management application. This has been up and running for several years. A hiearchyID type field 'Path_Locator' is the primary key field. Since updating to version 5487 the query returns an error that the data type cannot be converted. I've tried re-working it to expressly convert it to text but still no go. I don't know if this is a bug with the new version or if this is a change in the method to be used to send queries - in which case I'll have to convert all of my functions to use an intermediate table to pass processing back to SQL server. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

John

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Rich Fulham

Default Re: SQL Query error since update

Are you running the web server on same computer as before? Is the database server same server as before?

I think I recall some Alpha installs try to install sql client drivers. I would suspect something has changed with the sql data drivers.

Usually the solution to data type compatibility issues is to download the "Native Client Drivers for SQL" from Microsoft and install them - probably on the web server and the database server.
    MS has been making it difficult to find those drivers. They have not been updating them, but last time I looked the support pages said to use them anyway on the newer versions of sql server.

Real Name
    John Walsh

Rich,

Thanks for responding. At first I thought the same thing. We did just replace one of our servers. When I switched over the application server, I did a full install of the latest version of Alpha and at the same time updated all of our workstations so that they were running the same version. The old server was using an older version as we don't update that unless there is a compelling reason to do so. So, when this problem developed, I assumed that it was the new server configuration, drivers, etc.

However, It seems to be the current build of Alpha. I tested it on my laptop - publishing to the local web-root - with the 'new' build and the same result(i.e. error). I then uninstalled and reinstalled with the old version and it works fine. I then installed the patch on the old server (which worked fine before) to the current build and the error was reproduced. I've also tried to use native SQL but still the same problem. I can run the select statement using SSMS even remotely and it returns the records as it should. So it seems to be a data conversion problem with Alpha. I guess I will work on a stored procedure over the weekend to replace the query. Have a nice weekend.

John

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Rich Fulham

Unless you actually try installing the MS SQL Server Native Client 2012 (regardless of having a new version of SQL) AFTER you have installed (patched, or updated) Alpha then you cannot really be sure it is an Alpha bug.

Get the driver from here and install on the machine that is trying to talk to sql engine:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=50402

If you have installed "sqlncli.msi" (after having installed or updated Alpha Developer and/or Server) and you get the error then please submit the issue to alpha.

Real Name
    John Walsh

Rich,

I will give it a try. Thanks for the link.

John

Real Name
    John Walsh

Rich,

I updated the SQL native drivers as well as the SQL ODBC client drivers (actually I'm using SQL 2014) but still no go. Alpha reports an un-handled exception error and the log shows that "data error.. path_locator could not be converted". It seems that SQL FileTables and Filestream are not widely used so probably (and understandably) not a priory for Alpha. I have since converted my functions to use a stored procedure that does not require the return of the path_locator column and it seems to be working okay.

However, it turns out that it was worthwhile updating the drivers because it eliminated another error message in the SQL logs on a separate process that I had been ignoring - as it was still 'working'. Thanks again for your suggestion.

John