Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can I make a type of Repeating Section for the top-level table of a UX Component?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I make a type of Repeating Section for the top-level table of a UX Component?

I want to enter several records at a time, like the repeating section in a UX, but I don't want it based on a one-to-many table; I'd like it based on the top-level one-to-one table. Maybe it might be best to use an "Add records only" Grid, but a Grid doesn't give me the flexibility for easier data entry like a UX component does-- at least I don't know how to do it in a Grid if it does.

What I'm attempting to do is build a Time Sheet for payroll entry. I created a UX with the employee as the top-level and the hours entered as the one-to-many table, but I'm getting a few errors. This is where I am:

2019-02-13 Labor Hours with error.png

The User enters the default employee and pay period above, and those become the defaults for the repeating section entries. The error I got in my first attempt is shown in the top part of the image...it's an error in the a5DialogHelper_Execute_CRUD_Statements() function, which I assume is a built in function that creates the SQL INSERT statement.

I decided to start over fresh, creating a more simplified UX, but then I got a different error. That error is shown in this image:

2019-02-13 Labor Hours2 with error.png

That's when I figured I was attempting create a one-to-many in a way alpha couldn't handle. Maybe it's because I'm attempting to "append" to an existing one-to-many. I don't know... That's when I decided to go back to entry from a Grid. It works, but I don't know how to create the defaults that would make data entry easy and less prone to error.

Is there a better direction to go? Where can I look to fix these errors, if they can be fixed?
    Brad Steinfeldt

Re: Can I make a type of Repeating Section for the top-level table of a UX Component?

You can do something like this. This is an editable list control. https://www.screencast.com/t/JhOJkPHw

Comment

Re: Can I make a type of Repeating Section for the top-level table of a UX Component?

Lee, that is really good. Are you going to publish an e-book or something on these great things you have come up with? (I think the above is one you showed us on IADN.)

Comment

Lee, (I hope I'm not giving anything away by asking) when you implemented the Window Overlay that goes over a row in a LIST when the users switches the row to edit mode, did you have to use the new feature that is supposed to prevent the user from tabbing out of the popup overlay or have you tested to see if the user is confined to the popup overlay? And, did you have to specify exact control widths & heights so the list display controls and overlay controls occupy exactly the same height and width?

Comment

Rich,
          I put this together a couple of months ago before that feature and I haven't tested that. The exact widths & heights are hard coded. I've been meaning to send you that component. Let me see if I can find it and send it.

Comment

I've never done a list control and thought of using it here but was afraid of spending the time without results. You mentioning it, I feel more confident that I'll get results. Thanks so much. I assume this list control will allow me to continuously add to the list?
            Brad Steinfeldt

Comment

Have you looked at the spreadsheetInput control? That might be something that works for you.

Comment

nope. I'll look at that as well. Thanks.
                Brad Steinfeldt

Comment

Originally posted by lvasic View Post
                  Have you looked at the spreadsheetInput control? That might be something that works for you.
                  In my opinion (which isn't really worth much), the spreadsheetInput control wouldn't work for my situation. I want to have default data written each time I go to enter another row. The only way I saw that defaults could be written was during first initialization of the control. I couldn't find any way to get a default written with each new row.

I really like the list control option. It looks promising for me. I assume there is a way to dynamically filter the list based on two other controls on the UX? I'd want to filter the list based on the Employee and the Payperiod.
                  Brad Steinfeldt

Comment

It sounds like you ran into a problem much like I did.
                    I wanted a way to enter multiple bloodsugar readings and wanted the
                    benefits of a repeating section.
                    I finally figured out that I would have to skip the no-code method to make
                    it work. Took extra time to do, but it works great now.
                    It's not committed to anything public yet because I want to group the
                    reading based on being near the same time.
                    Gregg
                    https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Brad, if you want to stay with a Repeating Section, then you'll need to use unbound data controls within the Repeating Section, and handle the table inserts in XBasic. Alpha passes all rows and all data of a Repeating Section into an Ajax Callback in a couple of formats... one of which is JSON. You can parse the JSON, then loop through each row and each column preparing a SQL Insert statement.

The attached UX takes you through this process.

ux_Payroll_Time_Entry.zip

Comment

This is probably one of the ugliest posts I've done, but it is 01:45.
                        The images below show that my UX has a repeating row section and no top level section.
                        The video in the zip file shows how it preset some values in added rows yet gives you the
                        option to adjust any of the prefilled items. Finally it shows the 4 rows added really did
                        get added to the table.

I'm not sure how you do payroll, whether it's all employees on day at a time, or all days
                        worked by an employee for a given payroll period, but the options are there.

canRptSectionRowAdd
                        Code:
                        ar arn = {dialog.Object}.getRepeatingSectionActiveRow('REPEATINGSECTION_PRICKS')
                        var val1 = {dialog.Object}.getValue('NICKNAME:arn')
                        var val2 = {dialog.Object}.getValue('METERTIMESTAMP:arn') 
                        var val3 = {dialog.Object}.getValue('STRIPGLUCOSE:arn')
                        var val4 = {dialog.Object}.getValue('STRIPSUSED:arn')
                        var val5 = arn
                        var ok = false

if(val4 != '' && val3 != '' && val2 != '' && val1 != ''){
                        ok = true
                        //	if(arn > 1){
                        //		
                        //		val5 = arn -1
                        //	}
                        //	alert(val5)
                        //	alert(val2)
                        //	{dialog.Object}.setValue('METERTIMESTAMP:val5',val2)
                        }
                        return ok
                        afterRptSectionRowAdd
                        Code:
                        var arn = {dialog.Object}.getRepeatingSectionActiveRow('REPEATINGSECTION_PRICKS')
                        var val5 = arn+1
                        var val1 = {dialog.Object}.getValue('NICKNAME:arn')
                        var val2 = {dialog.Object}.getValue('METERTIMESTAMP:val5') 
                        var val3 = {dialog.Object}.getValue('STRIPGLUCOSE:arn')
                        var val4 = {dialog.Object}.getValue('STRIPSUSED:arn')
                        if(val2 != ''){
                        alert(val5)
                        alert(val2)
                        	{dialog.Object}.setValue('METERTIMESTAMP:val5',val2)
                        	{dialog.object}.setFocus('NICKNAME',val5)
                        }
                        dialogValidate
                        Code:
                        dialogValidate.hasError = .f.
                        dialogValidate.errorText = ""
                        	if e.datasubmitted.recordtype="" then
                        		e.control.recordtype = "2"
                        		e.datasubmitted.recordtype="2"
                        			if .not. contains( e.dirtycolumns,"recordtype") then
                        				e.dirtycolumns = e.dirtycolumns+crlf()+"RECORDTYPE"
                        			end if
                        	end if
                        if e.datasubmitted.metertimestamp = "" then
                        	dialogValidate.hasError = .t.
                        dialogValidate.errorText = "Prick time cannot be blank"
                        end if	
                        if e.datasubmitted.stripglucose = "" then
                        	dialogValidate.hasError = .t.
                        dialogValidate.errorText = "Blood Reading cannot be blank"
                        end if
                        afterDialogValidate
                        Code:
                        dim processThis as p
                        dim ptArgs as sql::Arguments
                        dim ptCn as sql::Connection
                        dim ptRS as sql::ResultSet
                        dim ptSQLcode as c
                        dim ohoh as c
                        dim myCounter as n = 1
                        dim itworked as l

processThis = e.datasubmitted
                        if processThis.nickName.size() > 0 then
                        ptSQLcode = <<%txt%
                        insert into meterData (NickName,SerialNumber,MeterTimeStamp,StripGlucose,StripsUsed)
                        values (:a1,:a5,:a2,:a3,:a4)
                        %txt%
                        '''debug(1)
                        itworked = ptCn.Open("::name::personal")
                        	while myCounter <= processThis.nickName.size()
                        		ptArgs.Set("a1",processThis.nickName[myCounter])
                        		ptArgs.Set("a2",time("yyyy-MM-dd 0h:0m",convert_type(processThis.meterTimeStamp[myCounter],"T")))
                        		ptArgs.Set("a3",processThis.stripGlucose[myCounter])
                        		ptArgs.Set("a4",processThis.stripsUsed[myCounter])
                        		ptArgs.Set("a5",processThis.serialNumber[myCounter])
                        		itworked = ptCn.Execute(ptSQLcode,ptArgs)
                        		ohoh = ptCn.CallResult.text
                        		myCounter = myCounter+1	
                        	end while
                        	e.javascript =  "var ele = $('pricks');" + crlf() + "{dialog.object}.closeContainerWindow(ele);"
                        ptCn.Close()
                        end if
                        2019-02-14_1-13-13.png
                        2019-02-14_1-14-08.png
                        Attached Files
                        Gregg
                        https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
                          Brad, if you want to stay with a Repeating Section, then you'll need to use unbound data controls within the Repeating Section, and handle the table inserts in XBasic. Alpha passes all rows and all data of a Repeating Section into an Ajax Callback in a couple of formats... one of which is JSON. You can parse the JSON, then loop through each row and each column preparing a SQL Insert statement.

The attached UX takes you through this process.

[ATTACH]45623[/ATTACH]
                          Thanks for putting that code together. I like that it's handled in xbasic because I come from a desktop app background. However, I'm a novice with sql, and I got an error when entering one row. I got "too few parameters." This is the sql statement the code produced:
                          INSERT INTO LaborHours (EmpID, CalendarName, EstimateID, Description, Details, StartTime, EndTime, Lunch, Hours, PayPeriod) VALUES (8,"Steinfeldt, Brad",1,"This is a test","","2019-02-14 08:13:20","2019-02-14 08:13:20",1,3,"2019-02-14")
                          I changed your field names to match my field names.
                          Also, I attempted it again by adding a second row, and I got a different error-- "Missing semicolon (;) at end of SQL statement." I don't know enough about sql to know what's causing the error. I entered this sql directly, bypassing the coding loop, and got no error:
                          "INSERT INTO LaborHours (EmpID, CalendarName, EstimateID, Description, Details, StartTime, EndTime, Lunch, Hours, PayPeriod ) VALUES (33,'Green, Isaac', 1,'this is a description', 'this is detail','2019-01-20 08:00:00', '2019-01-20 08:00:00', 1, 3, '2019-02-09' )"
                          Is it a double quote vs single quote issue?

One last thing...if I add multiple rows in the repeating section and then delete them, the REPEATINGSECTION_1.size() reflects the total that were added; it doesn't go to the number of rows displayed. For example, if I add 5 rows and delete two of them, REPEATINGSECTION_1.size() is at a count of 6 (1 original and the 5 added). I inserted an if/then statement to skip the row if it was deleted, and that fixed the problem. There's a property on the repeating section, REPEATINGSECTION_1[].__deleted, that I used to skip any that were deleted.
                          Brad Steinfeldt

Comment

Gregg,

I watched your video, and it's very similar to what I want to do. I'll go through what you've done to see if I understand it. As for the way I do payroll and how it has been done on our desktop app, we'd enter one employee individually, entering the project and how long he/she's was working on that project, entering all the projects and time for the entire pay period. Then, I had a duplicate button that would duplicate his entries for any of the other employees that worked with him. Worked slick, but converting it to web based is proving to be very complicated.
                            Brad Steinfeldt

Comment

I've changed table and fieldnames to what you're using and changed the double-quotes to single. All looks ok.
                              Also, I'm using e.dataSubmittedJSON_NoDeletedRows now, which solves the deleted rows problem.

Which SQL back end are you using? My testing is with MySQL. Also, what build of Alpha are you using? Try this UX.

ux_Payroll_Time_Entry_a.zip

Comment

Working...
                              X