Alpha Video Training

Thread: Adding data to an unbound list control

Real Name
    David Fricke

Default Adding data to an unbound list control

Not sure if the title was a correct summation of what I want to do. Here goes.

I have a POS system that adds products to a list control using the addTableRow method. The list is bound to a SQL table with a filter for the current sale. What I'm thinking is happening is when the component is loaded, the list control filters the list based on the SaleID which takes time to do. IS there a way to add rows to the list control WITHOUT the list going through all the records to filter first. So basically it's a dummy list control until I do a Synchronize and save the data to the SQL table.

Possible? Just trying to speed things up a bit.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: Adding data to an unbound list control

Is it a Server-side filter or a Client-side filter? Is it the SQL Statement feeding the List Control that does the filtering?

One trick is to turn on the List property "Delay render till explicit refresh". The List Control is rendered, but without data. You can then add rows and sync and no other rows will populate the List until you perform a refresh on the List data.

Real Name
    David Fricke

It's a Server-Side. The filter is in the SQL Statement. I will try the delay. Makes sense.

The list would not show any data when loaded because the SaleID is brand new. I know it can sift through millions of records, but just trying to plan ahead.

One other strange thing is happening. I have many fields in the UX component obviously. The list control has a Detail view. When I click on fields that are not related to the list, there is a slight delay, kinda like it's thinking and processing something. The delay is about 1 second. If I take out the Detail view, everything is fine. The other strange thing is, it only has a delay on a slow computer. My i7 Windows computer is fine, but the slow POS machines have the delay. Again, only when the Detail section is added. I've gone through every Javascript and Xbasic function that I have and can't find anything that would be conflicting with something. Don't expect anyone to automatically figure this one out without samples, but shot in the dark that someone may have come across this.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

The configuration of your "slow POS machines" is important to know.

If your server and database indexes are configured properly, then a server-side filter returning no records should be very fast. What SQL Back end are you using?

The key to your issue may be "many fields in the UX"... how many?

Real Name
    David Fricke

This is the computer: AMD E2 with 4GB Ram
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...?skuId=6196006

Running SQL 2016 Express 14.0.2002.14

200+ fields/buttons/things.

If I de-select "Detail View" in the list control, there is no delay at all. It's only when there's a Detail View on the list control do I get this delay when clicking in a field. I have a few watermarked fields is how I noticed it. Or even while typing in something long I will get a pause on the render of the characters.
    Again, take away the Detail View and it's speedy as all can be.

I've been running this UX with a Repeating Section for the longest time, and once we get 15 or so lines in the repeating section, it starts to take forever to render the lookup. So I figured I would switch to a List Control which I've been meaning to do for a while now because of the more features it offers.

I'm not complaining about the speed of the computer, however, with my i7 development computer there is no delay. Might just be that it's a faster computer. But if there's something wrong somewhere, I'd like to fix it.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

I'd say the 4GB Ram is most likely killing this machine. If you can, put in 8... at least in one machine for a test. Do you have the Dell running on the same network as your i7 machine... as a test?

Giving the List Control edit and update ability would certainly increase it's drain... it's a very fat control.

Real Name
    David Fricke

So I disabled edit and update on the list properties in the Detail view tab, since I'm doing it via addTableRow, etc. and it didn't make a difference.
    And yes, they're on the same network. I'll make a video when I get back home and see if I can show you what's happening.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Specifically, adding the Detail View to a List controls makes it really fat. Disabling functionality within the Detail View wouldn't make much difference... if any at all. Enabling Detail View is giving the List edit and update ability.