Alpha Video Training

Thread: PhoneGap Image Upload to S3 Cordova Bug

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Default PhoneGap Image Upload to S3 Cordova Bug

Hi Everyone,

I have a PhoneGap app (7.0.1) that is having issues with the image upload to S3. When I choose the setting "HTML5" it works and the image is upload to S3, but when I choose the setting "Cordova" then the upload to S3 does not work.

Has anyone had any luck in getting a PhoneGap app to upload to S3 with the cordova setting?

Below is a screen shot of my current settings:

PhoneGapSetting.PNG

As an FYI, the reason I need this to work is that currently my PhoneGap app works on iOS devices with the HTML5 setting, but in the new iOS beta iOS 12.2 public beta 3 the choose photo button stops working altogether. It works fine with "Cordova" but then the photo is not uploaded to S3.

Thanks,

Scott

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Default Re: PhoneGap Image Upload to S3 Cordova Bug

Further Update.

I have built a stripped down PhoneGap app with just an image upload feature to S3. It works fine with HTML5 but not Cordova.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

I can confirm the Image Upload action to S3 using Cordova does not work (again) using the last official beta build or the current pre-release. As well, the Alpha PhoneGap Build Builder annoyingly shoves in the Camera with Exif plugin no matter what. If I uncheck it and check the Camera plugin I get an error that they are both checked... which is not the case and then I just get taken back to the builder. If I then uncheck the re-checked Camera with Exif, the plugin info is still shoved into the config.xml file. I'm shaking my head. I wish Alpha would finish up their beta and have a real release.
    Last edited by Davidk; 02-28-2019 at 11:14 PM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

An Action that isn't broken yet is "File Upload - Amazon S3 Storage or Alpha Anywhere. When invoked on the device, this action gives you the choice using the camera or the photo library, it allows multiple file uploads, and will display progress.

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

I'm not sure about s3 at the moment, I'll check that later. BUT....using the normal server for image storage (after updating to the latest build and IOS updated to 12.2) we had to use PhoneGapPreferred and the regular Camera plugin in PhoneGap. The HTML5 method totally stopped working. The end result was that it worked but we had to select an image from the device and could no longer capture an image immediately. I'm curious to test s3 because we have several apps using it currently (but haven't been updated yet). This is a big issue.

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Hi Sean,

I can give you a bit more of an update, at least from my end.

So with IOS 12.2 as I mentioned the photo upload button stopped working when set to HTML5 in PhoneGap. Apple made a decision to disable it. But the Cordova setting did work in that it allowed you to pick a photo but it never made it to S3.

With the help of Davidk we identified that there was a bug with Alpha and the image was not being sent to S3 properly when set to Cordova. We contacted Bob Moore at Alpha at the end of March and he fixed the problem and the fix is in the pre-release. I am not sure if this fixes the normal server image storage but I suspect it might.

So I was still in trouble because I needed this fix but its only in the pre-release, and anytime I installed the pre-release something else broke ( since it is a pre-release ).

My solution and "hack" and this is a big disclaimer if you want to try it at your own risk, was that I figured the bug was in how the phonegap app was compiled in Alpha, so I compiled and submitted the app in Alpha to phonegap in the prerelease, but kept my servers on my current Alpha release (november 2018).

Anyway this worked, if you are desperate for the fix and can't wait for the official release it might be an option worth trying if you don't want to upgrade your production Alpha servers to a pre-release....

Cheers,

Scott

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Hi Scott and David,

Thanks for the update on this. I have done that before (used the prerelease for the phonegap) with success a long time ago. Totally forgot about that as an option though this go around. Thank you for the reminder! I wonder when they (Alpha) are going to do an official release....it's needed.