Alpha Video Training

Thread: Suggestions For Filtering and Opening Form Please

Real Name
    Bob M

Default Suggestions For Filtering and Opening Form Please

I have a set based on primary table with Insurance Customer Information. Naturally each customer can have multiple policies. So on a main page I have the customer's basic info with a Customer ID.

Also, I have an embedded browse from a 1-many link that links the customers policies to the contact through the contact id field. This browse shows each policy assigned to a given contact.

Each child link record has a unique identifier called policy_id. This field, right now, is placed on the embedded policy list browse.

What I want to do is open a 1-many child form where the data in the child form is based on the unique policy_id found on the browse or through the same field hidden on the main form. This form would show varied information, which includes all the changes that can be made to a single policy record (policy_id). In other words a single policy can have a multitude of changes and each with different information from others. So this information is setup as a child link of the policy child link

I have tried multiple methods (Using Action Scripting) to open the child form with detailed information about the policy buit to no avail. Every method of filtering to the proper policy has failed each time giving an error of "No records found in query". Simply put, I cannot figure out what is preventing the opening of the form correctly.

So maybe some smarter eyes than me can tell me what is the best way to do this using Action Scripting.

Hopefully the attached images can show what I am talking about. I know this probably confuses those who are really sharp with X-Basic but don't have a clue about what I have in my mind

I did notice in Alpha Sports there was no summary form/screens for individual customer purchases without digging through invoices.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mortie; 03-04-2019 at 06:02 PM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    John Koh

Default Re: Suggestions For Filtering and Opening Form Please

Bob,

What I want to do is open a 1-many child form where the data in the child form is based on the unique policy_id found on the browse or through the same field hidden on the main form.
    I am confusing about you issue. you said "What I want to do is open a 1-many child form ... " ---- Here, see screenshot.
    Select a customer from customer's browse then show the invoices which are belong that customer.

Every method of filtering to the proper policy has failed each time giving an error of "No records found in query".
    The A5 is searching the matching records for you and why do you want to filter it?
    You may need the "FINDER" after opened a form.

Real Name
    Bob M

Thanks John

My version of Alpha Sports does not show the browse you presented. There is only one customer related browse in my Alpha Sports database and I attached its picture. Clicking on a customer record in the browse opens nothing.

I tried setting the form to filter upon activating with records in the being opened table to matching a variable, which is set to the highlighted Policy ID when pushing a button on the other form.

The attached images show the starting form with policy ID being selected and then the form being opened and it does not show the correct policy and details that I think it should.

Also there is an image that shows the desired filter when opening the detail/child form. I hope you can see the difference where a particular policy ID is chosen in the parent form but a different ID is always opened in the child form. I surmise my setup is the problem. I just can't figure out where.

Thanks again for the response!

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    John Koh

Bob,

My version of Alpha Sports does not show the browse you presented.
    -- you can create a set with showed the SET.

Let's do a lot easy way, create simple form with SET tables, do not create the "filter property as you want" in the SET Editor

and check your form, generally open, add, edit or delete things.

I will show you how to do this ("which is set to the highlighted Policy ID when pushing a button on the other form. " ) after you understand the Set form.

Real Name
    Bob M

John

there is no filter that is established in the set editor.

I am not sure how much more simple the 2 forms shown above can be. Hence I am not sure what you want me to do in the way of creating a simple form.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    John Koh

Hi Bob,

See this example db. Open Customer Lists
    Attached Files Attached Files

Real Name
    Bob M

Thanks John

I will download and take a look