Alpha Video Training

Thread: Screen Layout Design

Real Name
    Bob M

Default Screen Layout Design

This is a pretty mundane question, I think. But, I am curious for a reason.

When designing forms and their positioning on a computer screen, do most people leave the calling form open or close it, thus avoiding a multitude of open forms on the screen.

Along with that, I am also curious about those making a living with Alpha application design, what is the typical computer (not mobile) monitor size encountered?

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Default Re: Screen Layout Design

I think the most common is 1024X768 BUT you will need to think about your users to really answer that. I think the best approach is to use a UX and a list control. You can use responsive layouts for the UX itself and multiple layouts for the list control. For me this seems to be the best approach because you can account for nearly all screen sizes as well as portrait and landscape making your application work on almost any device. I posted some responsive layout settings in another thread should be easy to search and find here if your interested. If you design for both from the get go - you'll save yourself a ton of work in the future if you ever decide you want to make it responsive!
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

"Certified" Alphaholic glenschild's Avatar
    Real Name
    Glen Schild

Glen Schild

My Blog

Real Name
    Bob M

WOW

Other certainly seems to be the growing resolution.

Real Name
    Bob M

So, when calling forms, and taking into consideration a good user experience, what do most Alpha Designers do?

Do the leave open, minimize, or close forms when calling? Is there any thing that suggests end users have one preference over another? Larger screen resolution numbers certainly give more options for leaving multiple screens open on the screen. Wouldn't that tend to have a total screen layout looking like a jigsaw puzzle? And I guess leaving them all open would possibly necessitate smaller font resolutions so us old folks have get right next to the screen.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Since this was posted in desktop. UX is not a normally used solution, Most of my clients use 19" to 22" monitors, so I test all applications on a 17" laptop and feel the client will be compfortable.

I make a lot of apps and/or repair same.

I generally do not worry about whether past forms are closed except where a client has limited memory/diskspace.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Bob M

Thanks Dave.

Do you leave them open on screen or minimize when deactivated and let the end user "find" them while minimized to reactivate them?

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I leave the little tabs open at the bottom on most apps so user can click to go from one to another, mostly
    Last edited by DaveM; 03-10-2019 at 08:35 PM.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Robin

I only leave the calling form open if it is a form mostly used for searching and displaying data. If the user wants to edit the selected record, I use a pop up form that the user must close when finished to return to the calling form. Navigation is usually restricted on the pop up form. In the case where I have a basic form that calls a more detailed view, then when the detail is opened I close the calling form if it is using the same table.

I also have a toolbar that I dock on the right side of the screen to show the open window list instead of using the window bar tabs at the bottom. And I do not use maximized forms ever, instead my windowed forms are sizeable.

But then I am a Quickbooks fan and like their UI for the desktop and have tried to mimic some of their features - however QB leaves everything open so the user must specifically close a form.

As for resolution, I favor smaller forms with larger fonts between 10-12 pts. But it all really depends on the type of application you are developing.

This is how my Payroll app looks when first opened:

mydesktop.jpg
    Last edited by MoGrace; 03-14-2019 at 12:45 AM.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford