Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Strange list behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange list behavior

I have a mobile app that has been working great for a while. I've been doing other development and have been updating the server as we go along and the original app has continued to function.

The other day I made a small change to it (for validation and nothing to do with the lists) and suddenly a parent list won't show as dirty even though a child list shows as dirty. The child list is made dirty using the list.updateTableRow() function. I've taken out the syncing to verify that the child list does indeed show dirty. If you edit the list using the detail view (for some other fields), then it also marks the child as dirty and the parent shows as dirty as well.

I'm wondering if I stumbled on a change that I am not aware of to the parent/child list functionality or what.

Bottom line is that suddenly the programmatic update to the child list is not propagating to the parent list for the dirty status.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I've been troubleshooting this for the past day with no success, but just further isolating the behavior to try and figure out what is going on.

Re: Strange list behavior

An update. I am able to get it working, but the only way is to add in list.UpdateListFromUXControls() after the loop that programmatically updates the list. When I do that, then the parent list properly shows as dirty and the save will work properly.

I'm at a loss for why this is. I'm going to try to reproduce it with a simple test and submit it to Alpha if what appears to be happening is accurate. Wasn't expecting this and it is making me rethink keeping our server on the latest production build. We are making use of many of the newer features, so we would probably have to be here anyway, but it concerns me now after spending this amount of time tracking through an area that was completely untouched and previously working properly.

Comment

It's unclear what Alpha build you're working with... and if you've been changing builds. Has the Alpha build changed from when you first created your App?

Comment

This was listed as a bug in the pre-release

UX Component - .UpdateTableRow() Method - Fixes an issue when using this method on a child List. The parent List was not getting marked as dirty.

Comment

I am on the latest production build and I have tried for the past year to remain on the latest production build. I don't use pre-release since it is stated clearly "not for production".

I'm not on a pre-release. Are you saying it is broken in production, but fixed in a pre-release?

Comment

build 5667_5254 is the production build I am on.

Comment

Originally posted by ddprlewis View Post
              Are you saying it is broken in production, but fixed in a pre-release?
              The pre-release says if fixes this bug. It is unclear when this bug was first introduced, but I assumed that yes, it was fixing a bug in the production release.

Comment

So, what is the concensus on putting a pre-release into production? I've done a work around, but took a heck of a long time to:
                - Track down the actual cause
                - Find a work around
                - Put everything back in place again and make sure it was functioning properly

I'm concerned that a pre-release will introduce to many potential unknowns that a production build should not produce (thus the warning NOT to use it in production right on the pre-release site). That's why I have tried to stay current on production builds. But now I am thinking production isn't necessarily the way to go. What do people who don't have their own server do in this situation? Seems like that would be a big deal if you are doing AlphaCloud and something like this basic functionality broke your app when you went to do a simple update to it.

Comment

There is no difference between an "Official Release" and a "Pre-release". If developers do not test features and report pre-release bugs... those bugs flow directly into an official release.

An official release is just a "we think this looks pretty good" release. Look at the last 2 official releases. Build 5663 Feb 14 followed by 5667 Feb 16 because 5663 was so broken. 5667 was followed immediately by a pre-release fixing issues in 5667.

Because pre-releases are not tested, or tested properly, it is inevitable that bugs will be introduced into official releases. And these bugs are not limited to new features, but can, and do, affect any aspect of Alpha.

Official releases are also not tested prior to release, which results in pre-releases... and round and round we go.

The only way to handle this (since Alpha will not test properly) is to have your own production and development servers. When you want to move to a new official or pre release then test your application on your development server to ensure your app will continue functioning as expected under the release you're using. If there's a bug, report it, and put in the pre-release that fixes it... and then start testing again. Repeat this process until your application functions and stay with that official or pre release.

Unfortunately, this thread will probably get locked or deleted because Alpha does not like being reminded that they need to implement a testing protocol.

Comment

We are on version 5647. We use updateTableRow on child lists and I cannot say that I have seen the bug yet. If you do not feel good about a pre-release in production, possibly try reverting back to a previous production release and see if you get the bug. Like Davidk says, I suppose you could also try the pre-release in production as long as you test in thoroughly and make sure no other new bugs were introduced.

Comment

David,

Thanks for the sage wisdom. I will definitely look at doing that long term as I was not aware of what you laid out.

Rusty,

It seems like it happened after 5647 and for us at least, only appeared when I updated the app. It worked fine or I would have noticed it right away when we upgraded to 5667. How do you "downgrade" to an older version? Do you keep copies of them or are they available somewhere?

Comment

How do you "downgrade" to an older version? Do you keep copies of them or are they available somewhere?
                        Run a prior upgrade to "downgrade" to an older version.

While they are available at this time, having your own copy of each version is a good practice for when they are no longer available.

I think of having both a belt and suspenders as a good idea.
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD
                        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

David,How do you "downgrade" to an older version? Do you keep copies of them or are they available somewhere?
                          For both the server (IIS) and the client, we always just install a new version in its own directory (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\a5V12_5647). Therefore, if we ever have to revert, simply open up the project in the older version, recalculate all controls, publish to the older version on the server (assuming you still have the old publishing profile), and then when you put out a new PhoneGap build (we use Instant Update), simply change the URL for AJAX callback to point at your old publishing profile.

Comment

Just a note: The Alpha Cloud addresses a lot of these issues in terms of testing between versions. We have used it both internally and for external clients and have a few other developers on it as well. I would recommend a cloud account, or if it's too expensive, you can try one of our sub accounts.

Comment

So, how does Alpha address this issue differently than they do for updates to the "rest of the tribe"? If the Cloud is on the last production version, then the cloud would exhibit the exact same issue with the app that I am currently having with it due to the error that is contained in the current production version breaking the current methodology. Obviously, like me, it would only become apparent if you had to update the application during the advent of the bug, but I think it is disingenuous to suggest that someone not on cloud is causing the issue. Unless you are putting updates on the cloud version that you are not making available to everyone else, which I hope you are not suggesting, I see no reason to make a statement like that when I keep our system up to the latest production version. Unfortunately, that is actually why I have the issue in the first place. If I didn't keep it up to date, I wouldn't have had the issue. I wouldn't have been able to use some of the new features either, but would not have been introduced to the unfortunate side effect of it breaking a core functionality that is referenced, and addressed, in the pre-release builds.

Comment

Working...
                              X