Alpha Video Training

Thread: How to make repeating sections the same height

Real Name
    John Berry

Default How to make repeating sections the same height

Hello all,

I have a UX with 2 repeating sections next to each other. Repeating section 1 (R1) has one field that is a dropdown. Repeating section 2 (R2) has two fields both textboxes. When they display next to each other the height in R1 is longer than R2.

NotLiningUp.jpg

If I change the dropdown to a lookup and use "Stored value is different than display value", then R1 and R2 are almost the same but not quite. I know I could just laugh it off as, "it's close enough for government work", but one of the folks I work with noticed it immediately so I don't think I can ignore it. Any advice?

NotLiningUp2.jpg

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: How to make repeating sections the same height

A simple, very manual, solution is to change the css class... however, this would affect all controls of that class. E.g. you're using the GrBlue style... is that right?

For me a GrBlue Dropdown has an offsetHeight (that's the one you want to check) of 27px. The Class Name is GrBlueEdit. The Local CSS definitions property would be...

Code:
    .GrBlueEdit {
        height: 27px;
    }
    But, this would affect ALL GrBlueEdit controls. By the way, there is a 2px difference between a dropdown (27px) control and a textbox (25px) control.

If you didn't want to do this then, after render, you could go get the offsetHeight of one of the largest controls (dropdown) and then loop through each of the 2nd repeating sections... changing the height to match.

rs_size.PNG

"Certified" Alphaholic mikeallenbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Brown

You could also just make the height property of the order & objective text controls 27px...assuming this is GrBlue and category is a drop down control.

Ashampoo_Snap_Friday, April 19, 2019_09h20m35s_001_.png
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant

Real Name
    John Berry

Hi guys, thanks for replying.

It's actually the MobBlue style but I changed it to GrBlue and adjusted the size of the dropdown to 27px (see the result) and it is good. Now my question is, how/where did you find those text control heights or 25/27 px? If I know where they are I can go back to MobBlue and use the same method.

I've only just moved to V12, lots of neat features but I'm sure I'll have more questions

Thanks

-JohnLiningUp27px.jpg

Real Name
    Mike Brown

Chrome debugger is what I use. Go to working preview, open the chrome debugger (it's an option at the bottom of working preview), go to the elements tab in the debugger. Now you can use your mouse to select specific elements. You can also use the pointer to select elements on the screen. Getting comfortable using debugging tools is important for development work.

Ashampoo_Snap_Friday, April 19, 2019_09h42m30s_003_.png

Short video: Click Me
    Last edited by mikeallenbrown; 04-19-2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added video l ink
    Mike Brown - Contact Me

Real Name
    John Berry

Thanks again Mike,

I followed the instructions but I don't see the height in pixels unless I specifically enter .27px into the field. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Debug1.jpg

Real Name
    John Berry

Hi guys,

Here's yet another issue. I must be doing something wrong. I didn't think this was going to take so long to get things lined up.....Ignoring the above issue, I did a live preview of the screen and it's a little off but looks okay for now.

LivePreview1.jpg

Then I click on the Google Chrome button to see how it looks in the browser and it doesn't look okay at all. I'm at a loss having not used a UX before. What I want to have is the 2 top repeating sections at least start out the same width and height. I know once a user clicks the + to enter a new category it will go off but at least if there are the same amount in each repeating section I'd like it to look good and line up. For the 3rd repeating section below I'd like that to line up also. It's very close in Live Preview but goes haywire in the browser. How do I accomplish this?

LivePreviewInBrowser.jpg

Thanks (again)

-John

Alignment.jpg

Real Name
    Mike Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Jberry View Post
    Thanks again Mike,

I followed the instructions but I don't see the height in pixels unless I specifically enter .27px into the field. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Debug1.jpg
    The height in pixels is there in your screen shot: 448 x 25.
    Mike Brown - Contact Me

Real Name
    John Berry

DOH!

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

You're using a TextBox control set up as a Lookup, Edit-Compbo. Using this control involves a lot more CSS... and as your attachments show, the textbox is actually wrapped in a Table. This adds 2 more pixels to the height.

If Height is not specifically set, then height does not show when inspecting HTML. If you choose the Select arrow (next to Elements in the toolbar, while inspecting) then you can hover your cursor over the Textbox, and it's height will be displayed. Now hover in the blue area just outside the Textbox and you'll see it's height. It's this overall height you want.

Can you change to a Dropdown control - it's easier to muck around with. If so, then using MobBlue you'll see it's height is 33px. Then you can change your Textobx control (not a Lookup) height to 33px.

Real Name
    John Berry

Hi David, I changed it to a dropdown, changed height etc. all okay.

I also removed any formatting on the frames, ie: removed the frame widths. If I put a width for that 3rd repeating section and make it scrollable it splits the repeating section in half and puts a scroll bar in the middle, so I removed its width.

Scrollable2.jpg

I changed all the repeating sections to scrollable but now when opening they are all at the bottom of the repeating section which is ugly and just plain wrong.

Scrollable.jpg

All I'm trying to do is something like this. I wouldn't have thought it would be this difficult so it has to be something I'm doing or not doing but what, I just don't know :(

screen.jpg

Thanks

-John

Real Name
    John Berry

o-k-a-y, I gave up. Two days going on 3 isn't worth it. I reverted back to non-scrolling and added a spacer between the 2 top repeating sections.

I'd love to know how to get it to work like I wanted though if someone can point me towards a solution.

Thanks

-John

screen2.jpg