Alpha Video Training

Thread: File Upload To S3

Real Name
    Steven

Default File Upload To S3

I have several File Upload to S3 actions that work when in Google Chrome web browser but in my PhoneGap app, it doesnt work. When the button is clicked that is tied to the File Uploads to S3, nothing happens. This use to work but it isnt now and I havent made any changes but to upgrade to the latest release. Any ideas why the File Upload to S3 isnt working?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: File Upload To S3

It's probably because of the iOS 12.2 update. I believe the File Upload - Amazon S3 used to work as well. I've confirmed that it still works in Android.

Real Name
    Steven

So this is something Alpha is going have to fix in its next release?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Just to confirm... you are using the Action "File Upload - Amazon S3 Storage or Alpha Anywhere Server". If so, I get the same results... nothing happens. This is the only "File Upload" action that allowed multiple file selection from the device library AND S3.

It's not an Alpha problem... in a sense. iOS and Android have been going through major security changes... and, as a result, a bucket of stuff is getting messed up.

You say you upgraded to the latest release... of what? iOS or Alpha?

Real Name
    Steven

Yes, it is File Upload - Amazon S3 Storage or Alpha Anywhere Server. I upgraded to latest release of Alpha and IOS (12.2). What is the remedy here, another Alpha release to address the issue?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

The remedy is to report it to Alpha. I've confirmed that this action worked in iOS 12.1.4.

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

There are several issues that happened due to IOS 12.2 update. Pain in the arse! You may need to devise an alternate method in your app that goes around the problem altogether. I would definitely report it though, and maybe Alpha can fix. Also, PhoneGap has build 8.1 but Alpha only has 8.0. Could be that Alpha just needs to update the PhoneGap builder to include the newest PhoneGap build.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

You can change the CLI version used in the config.xml file... you don't need to wait until Alpha adds it... just click Save and then the link to edit the config.xml file. I've asked that field be a input and dropdown so that we can easily use what we want... but that's not going to happen.

Real Name
    Steven

I tried to change the config.xml file to 8.1.0 but Phonegap is saying 8.1.0 isnt supported?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

The cli version is 8.1.1.

Overall, I doubt this is going to help you. iOS and PhoneGap Build are moving targets of changes and issues. Not so much iOS... usually... but... 12.2 has really messed up a lot of stuff for PhoneGap Build... and the way Alpha does stuff.

One of the big problems is iOS moving away from UIWebView... the default webview used by PGB. iOS has deprecated it... and although it's still there... there are issues with it and iOS 12.2. Further, iOS will drop UIWebView... soon. Alpha has to make major changes to WKWebView to get it to play nice with Alpha.

You can try to get Alpha to fix the issues... I don't think they are big.

Real Name
    Steven

Changing the version to 8.1.1 didnt work. It was mentioned that there is an alternate method to go around the problem altogether. What is that alternate method?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

I didn't think it would work. This issue comes from a change in iOS 12.2 What Alpha is doing to launch the process no longer works under iOS 12.2. You should report it to them.

I'd like to know the alternate method mentioned as well.