Alpha Video Training

Thread: List responsive Column

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Default List responsive Column

I am trying to use the Responsive Column property of the list layout to hide a column as the window gets narrower. It does not work if the column is defined with a fixed width, i.e. 90px. Change that column to a flex width and it works. Is this normal?

I tried to trick it with a width of flex(1,90px,90px) but that totally screwed up the column alignment.

Bill.

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Default Re: List responsive Column

I downloaded the component attached to Selwyn's responsive column video, and a column does hide after I change it to fixed width, so there must be something else going on. That component has some custom CSS and javascript that is a bit past me.

Bill.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

You say "as the window gets narrower". What window... the browser window? In the sample UX, the List is sitting inside a Container. The container width is being changed to the value of the slider control... it's being change by the slider control OnChange event. Then the List control gets resized and refreshed.

The List Control Javascript and CSS have nothing to do with all this. They are just leftovers from a Kanban sample. You can delete them and the responsive sample will work as it's built.

You must place your List Control inside a Container of some type. E.g. Inside a PanelCard, the PanelCard automatically calls .onResize() if the browser window changes size. The List Control must be set to Fill Container.

If your List is inside a Container type of "none" then you must call .onResize() when the Container changes width.

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

My list is inside a panel card and it is the browser window that gets more narrow. Can't do this in working preview because I can't get the window narrow enough, so the UX is launched in a browser window.

I was launching in IE. Went back and it does work correctly in Chrome and FireFox. Imagine that! Not sure what to do about IE.

Bill.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Works fine in Edge and IE 11.

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

And Selwyn's component does for me as well. Just not mine, which is quite vanilla at this point. Guess I'll start from scratch and see if I can tell where it goes sideways.

One odd thing - when I was changing layout column widths from flex to fixed, it seemed I had to save the list after each column change, or the change did not "stick". We'll see how that goes on the rebuild.

Bill.

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Working so far in IE with only a panel card. List settings are very persnickety though. Still must set one fixed col width, save, open list again. Some other settings sometimes get mixed up and must be reset.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

I just created a new UX, added a PanelNavigator, PanelCard, and a List Control. I set a couple of columns to 300px each, with the rest Flex(1). Then I set Responsive column amounts (e.g. 1000, 900, 800) on all the columns except 1. No issues under any browser... it all works as expected.

The issue you're seeing with your changes not "sticking" is that wretched new property editor. It has a will of it's own. I was changing the Column width in the sample UX and one change propagated to several other fields. If you're not very careful about making a change... and then moving off that property... you may get crazy results. Sometimes the change you make doesn't take. Sometimes the change you make is also made to other fields. Sometimes, if there are a lot of properties and you scroll up or down, that property you just changed scrolls with you... and will adversely affect other properties. You must make very slow, deliberate changes, and click off each property into another property... or else. It's nuts... but there you go.

If you add a button to your UX and then change the Button text, after you enter the button text and hit enter... the change will take, but the Button text dialog will sometimes open up again... and it's so random. All this has sure taken the "rapid" out of rapid development. I've made quick changes to a property... which either never took, or inherited other property values... than have take me up to 30 minutes to find. I'm very, very cautious now.

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Thanks David.
    That sure explains my experience. I am new to this, so having to deal with the hard lessons. But having some confirmation is comforting.

Bill.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

You're lucky in that you're just now having to deal with this property editor... and not had to live through it's buggy progression. It's about the only thing in Alpha you cannot trust... so... go slow... and be careful.

Alpha Software Employee Beta Spark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Parker View Post
    And Selwyn's component does for me as well. Just not mine, which is quite vanilla at this point. Guess I'll start from scratch and see if I can tell where it goes sideways.

One odd thing - when I was changing layout column widths from flex to fixed, it seemed I had to save the list after each column change, or the change did not "stick". We'll see how that goes on the rebuild.

Bill.
    Hi Bill,

Can you describe specifically the steps to reproduce the issue where the column changes did not "stick"? If you can, I can report it to the team for you.
    Sarah Mitchell

Looking for answers? Try our documentation.
    If you can't find something, let us know!

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Sarah,

In the "columns in list" I would click on a column, in properties change width from flex(1) to 75px. Then I would click on click on another field name, back to properties and change from flex(1) to 75px, etc. If I click back on a previously set column, the value may or may not be what I set. If I click OK to exit the property editor, then open the list again, the first column I set is likely the only change that remains.

I think what David is saying is to make width change, then put focus on another property for that column before changing to a different column.

I'll maybe do a video - after I deal with the other current crisis I am working on! :-)

Bill.

"Certified" Alphaholic peteconway's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Conway

What David has stated is correct, you need to dirty a property mostly unrelated to your need for it to stick in my experience.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by peteconway View Post
    What David has stated is correct, you need to dirty a property mostly unrelated to your need for it to stick in my experience.
    I'll second that (or third it?)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

What I find amazing is that there are a good number of people working with Alpha... inside Alpha. They must see these issues... they'd have to. Do they just live with them?

Real Name
    Kenneth

After seven years of adding feature after feature to a one component we are in a situation that what ever they add or modify will break something somewhere or maybe not.

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Following Sarah's suggestion, I did a video of the issue and sent to her and bugs.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Thanks Bill.