Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

List responsive Column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

List responsive Column

I am trying to use the Responsive Column property of the list layout to hide a column as the window gets narrower. It does not work if the column is defined with a fixed width, i.e. 90px. Change that column to a flex width and it works. Is this normal?

I tried to trick it with a width of flex(1,90px,90px) but that totally screwed up the column alignment.

Bill.

Re: List responsive Column

I downloaded the component attached to Selwyn's responsive column video, and a column does hide after I change it to fixed width, so there must be something else going on. That component has some custom CSS and javascript that is a bit past me.

Bill.

Comment

You say "as the window gets narrower". What window... the browser window? In the sample UX, the List is sitting inside a Container. The container width is being changed to the value of the slider control... it's being change by the slider control OnChange event. Then the List control gets resized and refreshed.

The List Control Javascript and CSS have nothing to do with all this. They are just leftovers from a Kanban sample. You can delete them and the responsive sample will work as it's built.

You must place your List Control inside a Container of some type. E.g. Inside a PanelCard, the PanelCard automatically calls .onResize() if the browser window changes size. The List Control must be set to Fill Container.

If your List is inside a Container type of "none" then you must call .onResize() when the Container changes width.

Comment

My list is inside a panel card and it is the browser window that gets more narrow. Can't do this in working preview because I can't get the window narrow enough, so the UX is launched in a browser window.

I was launching in IE. Went back and it does work correctly in Chrome and FireFox. Imagine that! Not sure what to do about IE.

Bill.

Comment

Works fine in Edge and IE 11.

Comment

And Selwyn's component does for me as well. Just not mine, which is quite vanilla at this point. Guess I'll start from scratch and see if I can tell where it goes sideways.

One odd thing - when I was changing layout column widths from flex to fixed, it seemed I had to save the list after each column change, or the change did not "stick". We'll see how that goes on the rebuild.

Bill.

Comment

Working so far in IE with only a panel card. List settings are very persnickety though. Still must set one fixed col width, save, open list again. Some other settings sometimes get mixed up and must be reset.

Comment

I just created a new UX, added a PanelNavigator, PanelCard, and a List Control. I set a couple of columns to 300px each, with the rest Flex(1). Then I set Responsive column amounts (e.g. 1000, 900, 800) on all the columns except 1. No issues under any browser... it all works as expected.

The issue you're seeing with your changes not "sticking" is that wretched new property editor. It has a will of it's own. I was changing the Column width in the sample UX and one change propagated to several other fields. If you're not very careful about making a change... and then moving off that property... you may get crazy results. Sometimes the change you make doesn't take. Sometimes the change you make is also made to other fields. Sometimes, if there are a lot of properties and you scroll up or down, that property you just changed scrolls with you... and will adversely affect other properties. You must make very slow, deliberate changes, and click off each property into another property... or else. It's nuts... but there you go.

If you add a button to your UX and then change the Button text, after you enter the button text and hit enter... the change will take, but the Button text dialog will sometimes open up again... and it's so random. All this has sure taken the "rapid" out of rapid development. I've made quick changes to a property... which either never took, or inherited other property values... than have take me up to 30 minutes to find. I'm very, very cautious now.

Comment

Thanks David.
                  That sure explains my experience. I am new to this, so having to deal with the hard lessons. But having some confirmation is comforting.

Bill.

Comment

You're lucky in that you're just now having to deal with this property editor... and not had to live through it's buggy progression. It's about the only thing in Alpha you cannot trust... so... go slow... and be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Parker View Post
                      And Selwyn's component does for me as well. Just not mine, which is quite vanilla at this point. Guess I'll start from scratch and see if I can tell where it goes sideways.

One odd thing - when I was changing layout column widths from flex to fixed, it seemed I had to save the list after each column change, or the change did not "stick". We'll see how that goes on the rebuild.

Bill.
                      Hi Bill,

Can you describe specifically the steps to reproduce the issue where the column changes did not "stick"? If you can, I can report it to the team for you.
                      Sarah Mitchell
                      Director of Customer Success | [URL="https://www.alphasoftware.com"]Alpha Software Corporation[/URL]
                      [B]Get in the know! [/B] Join us for our Weekly Webinars: [URL="https://www.alphasoftware.com/weekly-transform-tuesday-webinar"]TransForm Tuesday[/URL] and [URL="https://www.alphasoftware.com/weekly-alpha-anywhere-overview-webinar"]Wednesday's Alpha Anywhere Demo and Q&A[/URL]
                      Connect with us: [URL="https://www.instagram.com/alpha_software_corp/"]Instagram[/URL] | [URL="https://twitter.com/AlphaSoftware"]Twitter[/URL] | [URL="https://www.facebook.com/AlphaSoftware/"]Facebook[/URL] | [URL="https://www.linkedin.com/company/alpha-software"]LinkedIn[/URL] | [URL="https://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaSoftwareInc"]YouTube[/URL]

Comment

Sarah,

In the "columns in list" I would click on a column, in properties change width from flex(1) to 75px. Then I would click on click on another field name, back to properties and change from flex(1) to 75px, etc. If I click back on a previously set column, the value may or may not be what I set. If I click OK to exit the property editor, then open the list again, the first column I set is likely the only change that remains.

I think what David is saying is to make width change, then put focus on another property for that column before changing to a different column.

I'll maybe do a video - after I deal with the other current crisis I am working on! :-)

Bill.

Comment

What David has stated is correct, you need to dirty a property mostly unrelated to your need for it to stick in my experience.
                          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                          Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                          US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                            What David has stated is correct, you need to dirty a property mostly unrelated to your need for it to stick in my experience.
                            I'll second that (or third it?)
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

What I find amazing is that there are a good number of people working with Alpha... inside Alpha. They must see these issues... they'd have to. Do they just live with them?

Comment

Working...
                              X