Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

I have tried EVERYTHING (I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I have tried EVERYTHING (I think)

as opposed to the REMOTE site I logged onto for the test during lunch

Comment

John,

are you using A5V11 or A5V12 ???

Comment

A5V11

Comment

Nope, you are using Alpha over a network. That is your problem.
          Check you have permissions to change the folder where the V11 installation is.
          By location, I meant the actual computer.
          If V11 is loaded in Programs folder you may have issues with changing things like adding indeces.
          Try running the Alpha icon on your DT in Admin Mode. Right click, run as admin.
          See our Hybrid Option here;
          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

So,

It's another day...

Headed to A5V11. Uninstalled. Ran antispyware. Rebooted. Re-installed A5V11. Ran, Says A5V11 is not licensed for this operating. I'm running Windows 10 64 bit

?????

Uninstalled. Re-installed A5V12. Ran
            Same problem as past few days. Can't build an index over a set.

Any ideas ???

Comment

Create a new Folder in your C drive, away from the Progam Folders.
              Install V11 in that folder.
              Do NOT accept the standard installation setting.

With V11 installed, run the compatability check. Choose Windows 7.
              Then, run I as Administrator.

Comment

So, this morning, still with the error but, I decided to try an "old" database tghat is on my laptop and has been dormant for a few years.

I opened the database, found a SET, right clicked, and... created an index !

I then decided to BACKUP the database and upload. I wanted to check one final time before upload, and... ERROR. Would NOT create an index over the exact same SET I just created it over 3 minutes ago !

What ???

I printed a directory in descending date order and printed the screen. Attached.

Any ideas ???

Medstar.pdf

Comment

Check Task Manager. You may have "hidden" version of Alpha that didn't close down properly. If there are any, shut them all down and try again.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

So,

I had an older database on this laptop that has not been touched in a few years.
                    Decided to try this one re: creating an INDEX over a SET.
                    Opened just fine. Index created JUST FINE over a set.
                    Decided to upload.
                    Went back in to check - one final time before upload.
                    DOES NOT WORK NOW - 3 minutes since original open.
                    Printed a directory of the folder, descending format by date.
                    Any clues ?

Lar

Medstar.pdf

Comment

A mistake I have made in the past is to think that the Alpha launch icon was for the development version, when it had been overwritten by the RunTime version.
                      When you find you cannot create an index, can you edit a form?

Comment

Out of curiosity, why would one choose to try and create an index for a set at all? Because you don't know the set's primary table name? Or is there a way to see the child tables (like when you choose to edit the field rules for the set)? You can tell that I've never done this - ever - so maybe I'm missing out on something fundamental. When I try to create an index for a set, my only field choices are fields from the primary table, so back to my question, why?

Now, if I was having this issue, my first step would be to be sure that I could index/reindex the primary table on its own. If I was having a problem with that, I would check to see if that table was open - which Alpha would probably tell me anyway - and investigate from there. That would clearly be a significant issue. If I could reindex the tables individually, I would delete the linking indexes in the child table(s) and open the set to make sure Alpha does its thing to automatically create the linking indexes for the set. If that worked, and my forms opened and any reports worked, I'd conclude that the set was OK, recreate the indexes on the tables and move on.

Just a thought.
                        Finian

Comment

Good thought Finian.
                          Creating an Index in the Primary Table in the Set should show up in the option to create an Index when right clicking a Set, and only the primary table indices as you say.
                          I believe the problem is not how to do it, but what was happening - or seems to be happening sometimes - is now not doing what Larry believes it should, and in fairness, works on Jon and my installations.
                          My versions V9, 10.5 and 11 running in Win10 64bit offer the option to create an index for the primary table when right clicking a set.

It's back to "Just 'cos you can do it, doesn't mean you should" so to speak.

Comment

Update on this thread...

I have reviewed and reworked the software and, I think the problem is now resolved.

It appears one of the PC's on the network was also at the incorrect level of A5

Thank you for all of the input !

:-)

Lar

Comment

Originally posted by nugget3825 View Post
                              I have reviewed and reworked the software and, I think the problem is now resolved.

It appears one of the PC's on the network was also at the incorrect level of A5

Lar
                              For the other travelers that follow and may run into a similar issue, please leave some details about how you fixed it.

Thanks.
                              Al Buchholz
                              Bookwood Systems, LTD
                              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Working...
                              X