Alpha Video Training

Thread: Conditionally filter a list

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Default Conditionally filter a list

In this list on a UX, records will be filtered by a login variable, clientid. Specifying the filter as Clientid = :CLIENTID works fine. But I would also like to have a super user that can see all records. The filer building box does not have an editor that evaluates the filter, but this certainly does not work.
    if( :CLIENTID = 0 , '', Clientid = :CLIENTID )

Is there an approach that will let me either filter the list by clientid or not?

Bill.

Real Name
    Steve Workings

Default Re: Conditionally filter a list

A couple ways Bill.

First, you can populate the list from an Xbasic function. I've taken to doing this almost by default these days because people keep asking for more changes, more considerations, more filters. Keep in mind that the JSON generated by Xbasic needs to match the field definitions in the list -- including case sensitivity.

A second way is to use the onDialogExecute event where you can change the e.tmpl like this:

Code:
    if eval_valid("MyVariable")
    	if MyVariable <> "0"
    		sqlTemplate = <<%a%
    			CustomQueryHere
    		%a%
    		e.tmpl.page_fields[21].v.LIST1.sql.sqlstatement = sqlTemplate
    	end if
    end if
    You'll need the correct array index and name of course - you can find this by choosing the Xbasic tab at the very very bottom of your UX designer.
    -Steve

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Lee Vasic

Bill, does this list have a detail view associated with it?

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Steve, at first blush, populating via xbasic sounds attractive.

Lee, I'll show my newness to this. I do have an OnDblClick event that opens a UX detail parent-child view of the record. But the list itself does not have a "detail view" does it?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Lee Vasic

I was hoping you'd say that. There is an easy way to do this. In the list control, you can use the Custom/Xbasic function. It runs before the lists loads.

Real Name
    Steve Workings

Bill - one of the most popular genies in Alpha is the list building genie. Add a new control, but while still in the Add dialog, click the "List Control - Quick Setup Genie" at the bottom of the dialog. It's not everything, but it's pretty helpful and makes the building of a list control with detail a lot easier.
    -Steve

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Thanks guys. Off to explore.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Alpha gives you an easy way of doing this. But I have to make the assumption that your login variable is a session variable. If it's not a session variable then post what it is and how you set it.

If it is a session variable then, in your List Control, Data Source tab, "Server side beforeQuery event", add the word checkUser. This will be an XBasic function that Alpha will call. If you click the Builder for this event you'll see how you can create it. The function can be named anything you like... I named it checkUser.

In the XBasic functions section of the UX... add this function... which, except for my code, was created by Alpha.

Code:
    function checkUser as v (e as p)

'debug(1)	
    'Fires before the query to retrieve List data is executed. You can use this event to authorize the query
    'If the query is not authorized, it will not return any data
    'The e object that is passed in includes:
    'e.tmpl = UX definition
    'e.sql - the SQL statement that will be executed
    'e.arguments - SQL argument values to be passed to the SQL statement
    'e.listProperties - properties of the List control

'Your code can set these properties:
    'e.authorized - set to .t. or .f.. If you do not set e.authorized, it is assumed to be .t.. If e.authorized = .f., the query will not return any data.

'Your code can modify the SQL and the arguments used in the List query. For example:
    'e.sql = "Select id, firstname, lastname from customers where id = :whatid "
    'e.arguments.add("whatId",23)

if session.clientid = 0 then
    	e.sql = "SELECT PersonId, Clientid, FirstName, MiddleName, LastName, Address1, City, St, Zip, Latitude, Longitude, ChargeAmount, AdjustmentAmount, PaidHereAmount, OnholdAmount, OnholdDate, CurrentBalance, Addr_Quality FROM Person WHERE Clientid IS NOT NULL"
    end if	

end function
    My code is the "if" statement. If your session var clientid is 0, then your e.sql statement will include WHERE Clientid IS NOT NULL... which should pick up everything.
    If your clientid is, for example, 12, then your List's SQL Statement will not change. This is assuming your List has the filter Clientid = :CLIENTID

The nice bit about all this is that there is no extra callback. Your List is going to get data... and we're just taking a quick detour to either change the SQL statement... or not.
    Last edited by Davidk; 05-09-2019 at 05:59 PM.