Alpha Video Training

Thread: class - variable not found, or subelement not found

Real Name
    Nate Marler

Default class - variable not found, or subelement not found

I've been developing a class over the past week or so and things have been going well, now this morning while debugging I'm receiving "variable not found" and/or "subelement not found" errors when the class functions attempt to use private members. Anyone else ever come accross this problem?

- sometimes, but not always, I can get it to work by restarting the Alpha IDE
    - does this indicate that Alpha has some sort of caching mechanism?

Weird part is that these are basic elements of the class that have been working without error for over a week, and it's also occuring with small test-case classes like in the attached screenshot

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Rich Fulham

Default Re: class - variable not found, or subelement not found

Does your source file have a "define class global YOUR_CLASS_NAME" at the beginning and a "END class" at the end?

https://documentation.alphasoftware....ic%20Class.xml

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

If that's actually your xbasic class code... then something doesn't look right. Assuming, as Rich points out, that your class is properly defined, it's your Payment2 function that looks wrong.

When I create a class with a function like your Payment2, I get a "Missing or invalid keyword" when I try to save the class. It's the line continuation stuff that looks in error. Try this...

Code:
    	function Payment2 (uxName as c,compID as N,userRecID as N,userID as c,userShortName as c)

'uxName : Name of the UX...
    		'compID : CompanyID of the...

m_UXName = uxName

end function

Real Name
    Nate Marler

Hi Guys, thanks for taking a look, but I'm afraid this whole thing might be a red herring. In my full class I had a function that returned a P variable with a return statement (e.g., "return myPvar"). When I changed it to instead use the assign-to-function-name syntax (e.g., "myFunc = myPvar") things started working again (after restarting the IDE). It was all very odd... that simply having those return statements in the source code and running through the debugger put the IDE into some sort of weird state.

For what it's worth

- yes, the class was defined properly; the debugger just doesn't display those parts
    - the line continuations are fine, I've used that style for a very long time throughout the project, it's never been a problem

So all that being said, the root problem appeared to be the return statement. It was my understanding that the return statement is interchangeable with the assign-to-function-name syntax... is that true?