Alpha Video Training

Thread: listObject.updateListFromUXControls vs {dialog.object}.saveListEdits

Real Name
    Peter Johnston

Default listObject.updateListFromUXControls vs {dialog.object}.saveListEdits

Hi,

I thought I had a good handle on this, until release 5864 and a client request.
    Can someone clarify something for me, or tell me I need to change a setting somewhere.

I have an MS SQL DB and a PhoneGap App which has been working fine in connected/disconnected mode for 5 plus years.
    I use listObject.updateListFromUXControls to take the data from the detail view and write back to the Device List data which uses local storage
    I am using {dialog.object}.saveListEdits('<LIST_NAME>') to then synchronize these back to the Server.

All good so far

Use Case: A client has asked me to delay sending updates back to the server, even when the device is connected, because they are impatient.

So I started breaking my code down into smaller chunks and holding the saveListEdits until a later event.
    Now I discover that the listObject.updateListFromUXControls is actually sending data back to the server. I found this by checking the DB and adding alerts into my code, eventually I found the afterSynchronizeList detail event is triggered with the updateListFromUXControls.

Am I wrong in my thinking that the updateListFromUXControls should not actually do the synchronize?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: listObject.updateListFromUXControls vs {dialog.object}.saveListEdits

It depends on how you've set up your List.

Do you have List, Detail View, Synchronization policy, Client-to-server synchronization turned on?

Real Name
    Peter Johnston

Default Re: listObject.updateListFromUXControls vs {dialog.object}.saveListEdits

Thanks David, exactly what I wanted......
    As soon as I read your reply I remember reading something a few years back about this in the release notes.

All working as I want now..... (once the other item I is resolved)