Alpha Video Training

Thread: eMail problem WIN10

Real Name
    David Boomer

Default eMail problem WIN10

I have been using A5 eMail successfully or a very long time... I recently switched some computers to WIN10 from WIN7...
    I have not changed anything in the database, which has been in use for over 10 years. I am using the A5 RunTime Plus Build that was current as of January this year (2019).

The application runs as usual on computers running WIN7... however, on WIN10 I have encountered problems with some eMail functionality...
    Specifically...
    I want to preview the report... then click on the PDF Icon in the top toolbar that sends the .pdf of the report via eMail. (The icon (to the immediate left) produces the .PDF as expected).
    I have configured the eMail icon to send the report using the default eMail client on the computer.

When the icon is clicked, the report is produced... and... frustratingly, Windows tries to load Outlook (not WINMail). I don't have Office or Outlook installed, so widows asks me to purchase Office, which I will not do.

I have tried specifying that the default eMail client is the current client being used on the computer (eg eM Client, or WinMail etc)

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Default Re: eMail problem WIN10

if you want a definitive, rock solid solution for email functionality out of A5 desktop, look here.
    https://forum.alphasoftware.com/show...server-session
    It's not for the faint of heart but it is rock solid.
    Mike W

Real Name
    David Boomer

Thanks for your reply... but sadly it will not work for me. I am running my app on a workstation / fileserver. I now believe that the main problem is not with WIN10 but with Gmail and AOL and other providers. They have placed security layers so that apps like A5 cannot login to an email account... I set my account security to 'Allow Less Secure Apps' but that did not work for Alpha5... it did work for a different client (eMClient). When I contacted the Google folk the answer I got was 'use another app'. Not too helpful!
    Does anyone know of a way to get Alpha eMail working again? I am willing to change eMail providers if there is a provider that will allow A5 to access the eMail account.

"Certified" Alphaholic Ted Giles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ted Giles

I don't use Gmail, but a client does, V12 running on a server.
    Like you, it required Less Secure Apps set, but it worked on Win7.
    You could try some of these
    https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/th...e-email-client
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

http://ec12.example-software.com//
    See our site for Alpha Support, Conversion and Upgrade.

Real Name
    Jon P Moody

We're seeing more and more email providers using STARTTLS instead of TLS or SSL which requires a registry update on the users email profile in Alpha as it's not an option on the email config panels. The registry path is similar to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alpha Software\Alpha Anywhere 12.0\init\email\profiles\profile1" and the key to change is "SMTPSecureConnectionType".

With gmail you also need to respond to any email sent to the user to confirm that it was a legitimate attempt to connect.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

We are still sending emails/texts successfully through Alpha/Gmail from Win 10 with "Allow Less Secure Apps" set. How long we will be able to continue this is a question as it looks like Google are doing a "housecleaning" to limit or eliminate this facility. I got an email from Google yesterday informing me that my text backup program (SMS Backup) will no longer work starting in a couple of weeks. Let's hope they leave Alpha alone.
    Finian

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Does anyone have an alternative or work around for the event Google squashes less secure apps from accessing their smtp mail? We are completely reliant on email through gmail through smtp. Our little company has already been effected from them discontinuing the capabilities for geocoding locations through the keyless API.
    Mike W

"Certified" Alphaholic Ted Giles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ted Giles

Mike, have a look at What3words for location stuff. More accurate then Google when used with Navmii -both free.
    I really don't like Google for mail, maps and searches.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

http://ec12.example-software.com//
    See our site for Alpha Support, Conversion and Upgrade.

Real Name
    Jon P Moody

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilson View Post
    Does anyone have an alternative or work around for the event Google squashes less secure apps from accessing their smtp mail? We are completely reliant on email through gmail through smtp. Our little company has already been effected from them discontinuing the capabilities for geocoding locations through the keyless API.
    Mike, Google have a rep for just discontinuing something, changing the interface beyond recognition or starting to charge for all but the most minimal usage of something. For this reason alone, I now avoid building anything that relies on a Google app/service.

For email, look for a well established company that does what you want and, if possible, has a free layer that you can experiment with until you're happy it does the job. We use a 'paid for' Sparkpost service for SMTP sends which is very simple to set up and use - especially if you're in the US as Alpha have already written a function to send an email.