Alpha Video Training

Thread: Export to excel adding extra columns

Real Name
    John Berry

Default Export to excel adding extra columns

Hello again,

I'm following Selwyn's video for advanced Excel export. I create a simple test report, convert it to layout and then from the grid I have a button that uses the advanced Excel export. When the spreadsheet opens there is a blank column between every cell.

Here is how it looks in design view:

Excel1a.jpg

Here it is if I print it to the screen:

Excel1.jpg

and here it is when exported to Excel

Excel2.jpg

Does anybody know why there are blank columns? It happens even if I try to export to Excel from the preview screen.

Thanks.

-John

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

Default Re: Export to excel adding extra columns

Just used an existing list, an existing report and added a button to export to excel and it worked with no blank columns.

The thing that stops me using this feature is the apparent lack of conditional formatting and word wrapping of cells available.

With fear of getting this post wiped, just tried the same in Filemaker and got a similar result to Alpha, although I did not have to add the buttons for excel or pdf they were already there in preview mode.

Real Name
    John Berry

It appears that it is adding columns if you start the report initially as a freeform report, save it, then convert it to a layout. On both my home PC and my work PC it adds the blank columns. If I create the report directly as a layout report then it works. Would somebody be kind enough to just double-check that for me on your PC.

I just had a simple test table with some random numbers, IE:

ID, Males, Females

Created a Freeform report (in projects) [ID][MALES][FEMALES] (no spaces) and then converted it to Layout. From a button on a grid I used Advanced Export, nothing fancy, and I always get blank columns.

Then I created a Layout report {ID}{MALES}{FEMALES} and From a button on a grid I used Advanced Export, nothing fancy, and it shows in Excel with no blank columns.

Thanks

-John

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

Hi John,

I tested this and do get the same as you are seeing, but I believe it is part of the conversion from a freeform report to a layout table report.

It seems no matter how close together your fields are in your freeform report (even overlapping which throws up a warning) once it is converted to a layout table report there is a column inserted between them in the layout. You can select and delete these columns in your layout, but be careful because some cells can be merged to make the layout table look as close to the freeform layout as possible, best to have visible gaps between your fields in your original freeform report, and then when exporting to excel you do not get the rogue columns appearing.

Real Name
    John Berry

Hi Lance,

Thanks again. At least I now know I'm not imagining it. Funny enough, I didn't even notice those rogue columns, now you pointed them out, it seems so obvious.

-John