Alpha Video Training

Thread: Show/Hide "Add New Record" hyperlink in Grid

Real Name
    Phil Samuels

Default Show/Hide "Add New Record" hyperlink in Grid

I hope someone can help. I have an older application that with a simple Grid (no detail view) that has only 6 fields. On the toolbar, there's a hyperlink where the User can enter Add a New Record (see image below):
    I want to control whether that option (hyperlink) is offered (show/hide) to the user, but I can't figure out how to conditionally, show or hide it:
    • I do know how to "hide" it (NOTE: if you use "<hide>" as a the New Record Button label, it's hidden);
    • AND, I can easily create a separate toolbar button/hyperlink to replace it (which I can conditionally show/hide);
    • BUT, I can't find a method or javascript action to "add new record" (except when you're using detail view, which I'm not using).

There are some conditions when I don't want the "Add New Record" option to appear to the user, but I can't figure out how to do it. If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

"Certified" Alphaholic Rich Hartnett's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Hartnett

Default Re: Show/Hide "Add New Record" hyperlink in Grid

Honestly I don't know if it can be hidden or not, but one thought to get around the problem is to create two (similar looking) grids, one for updating existing records, and one specifically for entering new records.

In the "Update/Edit Existing Customer Information" grid, the user clicks on an existing record on the screen, and the grid pops up like you have shown above, with no "Create Customer" link. The customer data is pre-populated in the fields and the user can edit the data as necessary. The user clicks the submit button and the data is saved and the window closes. At the same time you have another action button called "Create New Customer" and either display it at the bottom of this grid (like the other buttons you have on there now) or at the bottom of a list of customers, and when the user clicks on it, it opens a similar-looking grid, but this one has blank fields, and is a "Add Records Only" type of grid, which will never allow any editing of existing records, only entering a new record. To the user the pop up grids look the same, but they serve two different functions.

The advantage of doing this way is that if you add the "New Customer" action button yourself instead of using that "New Customer link," you can put some security on it and decide when it will be displayed by security group.

I have similar grid type lists of people, and to the right of each person row I will have a button called "Edit Information" (which opens a small pop up grid similar to yours), and at the bottom of the overall grid I have a button called "Enter New Record." As I said above, both of my button-activated pop up grids look similar, but they perform different functions and only certain people will see the "New Record" button.
    Sergeant Richard Hartnett
    Hyattsville City Police Department
    Maryland

Real Name
    Phil Samuels

Default Re: Show/Hide "Add New Record" hyperlink in Grid

Hi Rich-

THANK YOU for writing back. I LOVE creativity and your suggestion is "elegantly creative". I'm going to give it a try and see how it works for me. I can even think of several variations that will accomplish exactly what I want.

Thanks for the great suggestion and for taking the time to write. I appreciate it.

Phil