Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Garbage at end of zip file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garbage at end of zip file

Hi,

We zip files at close of business every day. Friday night every attempt to zip the files we were getting the same error message, garbage at end of zip file ignored. Never had this before, the file size is only 40,580kb as opposed to earlier zip files which are over 500,000 KB. Does anyone know how I can correct this?

Thank you

Re: Garbage at end of zip file

Opsys?
    Zip engine?
    Users out?
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Thanks for your help Ted, but your cryptic words are lost on me. I'm not strictly a database person, just self taught on alpha over the years. I have resorted to 7zip to back up our data.

Comment

Apologies. Opsys = Operating System/version of Windows. What are you using?
        Zip engine =which one you are using?
        Users out = are all users logged off and all forms closed before zipping?

What rubbish are you getting?

Comment

Dupe.
          Last edited by Ted Giles; 08-06-2019, 11:30 AM. Reason: dupe

Comment

Hi Ted,

Thank you for coming back to me. We use the zip workspace that's in the Tools menu on Alpha, we have used it for years without problem. We always check that everyone is logged out before zipping. The message is that 'garbage at end of zip file ignored'. The file names all seem to be there but a much smaller file size than it should be. I can't see what the garbage could be.

Comment

Aaah! You zip the whole work space then?
              I assumed -my stupidity - that you were zipping tables.

Suggestions;
              Try unzipping the workspace to a test area and see if anything is missing.
              Try using Backup and Restore instead of zipping the whole workspace.
              I haven't tested rubbish file extensions in the zipping process, so are there any unusual file extensions? AS does create some odd files.

Msoft are messing about with all systems, from Win 7 up. Causes me no end of grief slowing and interfering with processes. That could be a problem.

Comment

I have found nothing reliable other than a full cut and paste of all the files in the application folder to a folder on a backup drive. We use a USB SSD drive dedicated to backups. All folders in the application are subfolders under the application folder. After all the files are copied, the folder is zipped. Our application and data at this point is 37 GB.
                Mike W

Comment

Hi
                  Thank you everyone, I have gone through the folder looking for any obvious rogue files. I will unzip the back up to a local folder on my computer and see what happens. I think my best option is Mike's suggestion that we copy and paste to a USB SSD drive.

Comment

Hi Ted,

I zipped the database and unzipped to a folder on my local drive, everything is there no data missing at all. We are still getting the error message and no idea why.

Comment

So when you create a backup, the zipping process says there are still spurious data present?

As this is a commercial application, I suspect you may require a more robust method of backing up your data and application.

The problem with Alpha is that it's easy to mix up the data and the application engine, so, suggest you look at some free backup software where you can separate the two - because the engine changes little - and the data changes constantly.

If you google the error message that might give some comfort and you have satisfied yourself that even with the error message, the data integrity is intact.

Might just be something you have to live with.

However. If the data is sensitive and/or essential, I would purchase a decent backup drive and take the whole lot, data and app, and save it there until you get a clean zip.

If you want me to test it here - and I have no interest in your data whatsoever - I will create a folder on my server so you can upload it and I will run my zipping software.

Comment

Thanks Ted, our server is backed up every night. It is just and extra preserve that we back up to a local drive so that if the server went down we could access a copy straightaway.

Comment

Judith, I would still use the usb ssd drive as a local backup space. I use a wd 2 terabyte for the purpose. Yes, there is also one on the server for nightly backups as well. I think I paid about 80.00 for the wd drive. Best use is with USB3 for speed, but a USB2 will still work.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                          X