Alpha Video Training

Thread: I love Alpha, but just asking...

Real Name
    Scott Binger

Default I love Alpha, but just asking...

First and foremost, I have been a dedicated Alpha user for quite a while now. The platform has exceeded my expectations in so many ways. That being said, we can't (and shouldn't) keep our heads in the sand when it comes to alternatives. At the very least, we need to be educated about what's out there, right?

4D has come up in multiple conversations over the past week. On one occasion, a client asked about how it compares to Alpha and on the two other occasions, clients indicated that software they currently use was built in the 4D environment. So, I am taking this as a sign and need to pose the question. Has anyone used 4D and, if so, how does it compare to Alpha?

Again, please don't interpret this as a challenge to Alpha. Just trying to gain some knowledge so I can speak intelligently on the issue.

"Certified" Alphaholic mikeallenbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Brown

Default Re: I love Alpha, but just asking...

Talking about competitors here will get your post deleted. Just an observation of mine. Can't blame Alpha really. It is their forum for their product.
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant

Real Name
    Scott Binger

All I am doing is trying to encourage an open and healthy conversation about competition. It would be to our detriment as developers if we cannot have such a conversation. I believe we would also be doing a disservice to the incredibly hard working team at Alpha if we don't offer feedback on pros and cons of other dev environments.

If the forum moderators see it fit to delete this post, so be it. I hope this is not the case, but I will respect that decision and will not post like messages again.

Oh, and for what its worth, I downloaded a free trial of the aforementioned platform and played around with it for a day. My assessment: not even a contest. Alpha blows it out of the water.

Real Name
    Kenneth

Hi Scott,

I do not think Alpha has anything against talking about 4D.
    I am sure it is fun to develop with 4D (graphical interface :) )but very soon when time is to deploy a 4D application you will miss Alpha.

Alpha server can handle 40-80 application users and maybe more. This deployment cost with 4D would be 15436 dollars (40 users) to 30872 dollars(80 users) plus 4120 dollars for maintenance.

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

If the forum moderators see it fit to delete this post, so be it. I hope this is not the case, but I will respect that decision and will not post like messages again.
    It's not the moderators who will delete this thread (if it is, ultimately, deleted), it will or would be Alpha or senior Alpha staff.

Real Name
    Scott Binger

Ken and Peter, thanks for your replies.

Ken, this is indeed what I discovered as well. Only reinforces my commitment to Alpha!