Alpha Video Training

Thread: Does Commented Out Code Still Require Resources

"Certified" Alphaholic iRadiate's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stephen

Default Does Commented Out Code Still Require Resources

This is just a general question about whether it is generally better to remove unused code versus commenting it out.

I'm sure we all do this now and again:
    Say you create some code in an event handler someplace. You then decide for whatever reason you no longer want to use it.
    So you comment it out (in case you might want to re-use it again down the road .. you might not).

I'm assuming that the browser still needs to actually read that code to determine that it needs to ignore it?
    If so, is it better practice to actually delete the unused code rather than simply comment it out?
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.1.2 Build 6012-5338 IIS v8.5 on Windows Server 2012 in Hyper-V

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Default Re: Does Commented Out Code Still Require Resources

I believe that when you publish a component, it removes the commented code, especially if you select pre-render. So it does not affect published components. So, commented code only makes the publish process a bit longer....probably not noticeable.

If you look at the source code for a running page, you will not see any commented code.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

"Certified" Alphaholic iRadiate's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stephen

Thanks Pat, I didn't know that but it makes sense.
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.1.2 Build 6012-5338 IIS v8.5 on Windows Server 2012 in Hyper-V

"Certified" Alphaholic TheSmitchell's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by iRadiate View Post
    This is just a general question about whether it is generally better to remove unused code versus commenting it out.

I'm sure we all do this now and again:
    Say you create some code in an event handler someplace. You then decide for whatever reason you no longer want to use it.
    So you comment it out (in case you might want to re-use it again down the road .. you might not).

I'm assuming that the browser still needs to actually read that code to determine that it needs to ignore it?
    If so, is it better practice to actually delete the unused code rather than simply comment it out?
    Hello Stephen,

Code comments do require space in the file, but they're not computed when the code is interpreted.

If you are resistant to deleting code but don't want to execute it in your scripts, I highly recommend that you use a source control system, such as Git or Subversion, with your projects. Source control systems will track the changes to your files, allowing you at any time to roll back or check out past revisions. This makes it very easy to retrieve code you previously deleted. Using source control is also a recommended best practice when building software systems.
    Alpha Anywhere latest pre-release