Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Lets do what we can do in the in-place editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets do what we can do in the in-place editing

I notice that I can't find the previous in-place editing, so I'm starting a new one. But please, no complaining.

I'm starting to implement this in-place editing in an application that will be released in the fall, so I'd like to concentrate on what does work, or where we can implement work-arrounds. The goal is a working app, and I consider that my responsibility, not Alpha's.

I'm keeping up with the pre-releases and working with the new list every day. I'll report my successes. Also, I know that IADN is devoting some meetings to in-place editing to share the experiences and I'll be attending those. If you are interested, please join.

Here's what I want my list to look like
    EquipList.png

My first task will be to get the CSS set. When I turn on editing, both the text and the background are white. Ought to be simple.
    Second task is making the "check boxes" work. Shown are SVG icons and don't they look pretty? I don't see a checkbox control on the list of controls and don't see a logical control type, so I'll play with buttons and images. If that fails, I'll go back to 1's and 0's. I know that works.

Stay tuned.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Re: Lets do what we can do in the in-place editing

Yeah, in-place editing; I had to abandon the Grid's implementation of it because of slow performance on Grids with conditionals and custom controls. But if I could use a LIST with in-place editing and if it worked very fast, my customers would be very happy. The one thing in-place editings needs to have for my customers is automatic saving of data when: 1) The user navigates to a new row, 2) the user sits idle for X number of seconds, 3) user tries to close the window, 4) user clicks a button to save changes.

Comment

I don't think the List Control has a data Checkbox... but I've implemented one and I believe it can be found in the forum. Maybe the List Control will also get a new Control Type... which would be good.

If you want to use a Column Layout, then you can use the <In-placeEditingIcons>, but if you want to use a FreeForm Layout, then you need to wait until <In-placeEditingIcons> is implement there. It's use results in an error right now.

The data Checkbox, the way I implemented it, is always available for editing. If you want it to behave the same as the other fields, I'm sure editing can be turned on and off for it as well.

As I said originally in the post that was deleted, this in-place editing is a great step forward. The Detail View is great, but sometimes brings too much moving around. A List, on a tablet, with in-place editing, will be excellent.

Comment

Rich, thanks for your comment. But, like I said, I need to focus on what works now or can be made to work so I have a chance to finish this component in a reasonable time. There are a lot of things that we can wish for, but if they don't work now, then I can't afford to wait.

David, thanks, I'll look for the checkbox you implemented today. You work is always great. Yes, I'm going to stick to the columnar layout for this component. One less thing to worry about.

I've fixed the white on white editing problem. Developer tools pointed to a listSelected css statement line 1057. I haven't learned to use the Alpha style builder, so I went in with notepad, whcih numbers the lines, and fixed it in both developer and webroot by changing color from #fff to #000.
        Pat Bremkamp
        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat, I wasn't sure from your original post if you were having a problem or not. Remember that you can override css in the UX Local CSS property... and in the List CSS tab. You may be better off correcting it there instead of the main css file since that file may be over-written on the next update with the same code as before.

When you turn on text editing, are you saying that while editing a textbox, the background is white... and the edits you're making are also white? I don't what what style you're using, but the Alpha Style has a blue background for the selected row. The edited text is white on a blue background.

Comment

Thank you David. I'm using Alpha-green as the style. I moved that style to a local style and have already made some other changes, so this was just one more. For example, although I set the compact checkbox, some fields still had 14px of padding. I have a lot of data to show, so I reduced that to 5px. The sales people all have laptops, so I don't have to show this on tablets or phones.

I looked for the checkbox you described, and found the one about fixes to the checkbox control, but that had to do with selected rows. Is that the one you mean? In my case, I have 4 checkboxes in the same row and want them to toggle unchecked to checked and back when clicked. In the SQL table, the fields default to 0 so I don't have to deal with NULL.

The checkboxes shown are conditional images based on hidden fields. When the image is clicked, I want to toggle the hidden field from 1 to 0 or 0 to 1, then update the row. I don't know if I should also change the image in the code or if updating the row will take care of that.

As you know, my JavaScript is poor, but I'm going to give it a shot today.
            Pat Bremkamp
            MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Do a search in this section for checkbox and my user name there are a few posts. Here is probably the latest and contains the most information...

https://forum.alphasoftware.com/show...light=checkbox

The List Checkbox Select Column feature is different and now works but the List data shifts the first time anything is checked.

I would probably wait a bit and see if Alpha implements a real, updateable, checkbox control for In-Place editing.

Alpha currently implements CheckBoxButtons as a control type for logical checkbox data. It's a solution but takes up a lot of space.

Comment

David,
                Thanks for the tip on using Local CSS definitions. Turns out in the Alpha-Green (and I'm sure the other Alpha-color styles) there is a file in the Alpha-Green folder named styleInherit.json. An entry in that file was changing my edit back to white. So, I loaded the Alpha-Green style.css file in Notepad++ (because it numbers the lines) and copied line 1057 and pasted into the component Local CSS definitions on the properties tab, modified #fff (white) to #000 (black) and solved my problem.

No such luck with the checkboxes. I tried:
                Using Switch. It works, but the graphic is so large my component runs off the screen. In the future, I'll try to find a smaller switch.
                Using the OnClick event for my Dynamic image to see if I could toggle the hidden value then refresh the row. That event does not appear to fire.
                Tried a radio button and the checkboxes and they also took up too much space.
                Tried a dropdown of the two images, checked and unchecked, with a stored value of 1 or 0 but the feature where you use two values in the select statement does not appear to work, The first vaue was inserted, not the second.

Next, I'm going to try a button to do the toggle and change the image on the button. If that doesn't work, then Ill go back to the dropdown and show the options of "Yes" and blank. I'm sure I can get that to work. If the checkbox control becomes available in the future, it shouldn't take much to implement that.
                Pat Bremkamp
                MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Also, I know that IADN is devoting some meetings to in-place editing to share the experiences and I'll be attending those. If you are interested, please join.
                  Pat, a quote from your first post. Yes I have it on the webinar event schedule for September 20. That is tentitive because I want the feature to be in normal release and have at least a few developers with some work to showcase so we can see it in place. Everyone, go register for here on Sept 20 event as a place holder so you will get an email for the meeting (and if I have to change the date).

Register here: https://iadn.com/events.a5w

If you dont already have an account at IADN, register here: https://iadn.com/register.a5w
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Bremkamp View Post
                    Rich, thanks for your comment. But, like I said, I need to focus on what works now or can be made to work so I have a chance to finish this component in a reasonable time. There are a lot of things that we can wish for, but if they don't work now, then I can't afford to wait.

David, thanks, I'll look for the checkbox you implemented today. You work is always great. Yes, I'm going to stick to the columnar layout for this component. One less thing to worry about.

I've fixed the white on white editing problem. Developer tools pointed to a listSelected css statement line 1057. I haven't learned to use the Alpha style builder, so I went in with notepad, whcih numbers the lines, and fixed it in both developer and webroot by changing color from #fff to #000.
                    I changed my UX Property Style to Alpha-Green and do not see the white on white problem you encountered. The edit row has a green background and the edited text is white...

Further, you don't need to live with the size of the Switch control. Add this css to the List Control CSS tab to style the Switch control to half its default size...

Code:
                    .switch {
                        height: 22px;
                        border-radius: 11px;
                    }
                    .switchInner {
                        margin-left: 11px;
                        margin-right: 10px;
                    }
                    .switchLeft {
                       padding-right: 12px;
                        line-height: 21px;
                     }
                    .switchButton {
                        margin-left: -10.5px;
                        width: 19px;
                        height: 19px;
                        border-radius: 11px;
                    }
                    .switchRight {
                        padding-left: 12px;
                        line-height: 21px;
                     }

Comment

It's white on white alright.
                      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                      Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                      US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Thanks Steve, David and Pete for your input. This is starting to look really good now! I showed it to the client and they are excited about it.

My task for today is to figure out where the editing icons are located. The icon for deleting the line and the one to cancel editing are the same and that caused confusion for my client.

Pat
                        Pat Bremkamp
                        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

David,

That works great! I cut your css in half again, and now it looks like:
                          In-place 8-30.png
                          Pat Bremkamp
                          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

That looks good. I'd adjust a little bit... you're a bit short on the bottom.

Comment

Nice work.
                              Change Icons
                              Icons.PNG
                              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                              Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                              US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Working...
                              X