New call-to-action
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets do what we can do in the in-place editing

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Default Lets do what we can do in the in-place editing

I notice that I can't find the previous in-place editing, so I'm starting a new one. But please, no complaining.

I'm starting to implement this in-place editing in an application that will be released in the fall, so I'd like to concentrate on what does work, or where we can implement work-arrounds. The goal is a working app, and I consider that my responsibility, not Alpha's.

I'm keeping up with the pre-releases and working with the new list every day. I'll report my successes. Also, I know that IADN is devoting some meetings to in-place editing to share the experiences and I'll be attending those. If you are interested, please join.

Here's what I want my list to look like
    EquipList.png

My first task will be to get the CSS set. When I turn on editing, both the text and the background are white. Ought to be simple.
    Second task is making the "check boxes" work. Shown are SVG icons and don't they look pretty? I don't see a checkbox control on the list of controls and don't see a logical control type, so I'll play with buttons and images. If that fails, I'll go back to 1's and 0's. I know that works.

Stay tuned.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Rich Fulham

Default Re: Lets do what we can do in the in-place editing

Yeah, in-place editing; I had to abandon the Grid's implementation of it because of slow performance on Grids with conditionals and custom controls. But if I could use a LIST with in-place editing and if it worked very fast, my customers would be very happy. The one thing in-place editings needs to have for my customers is automatic saving of data when: 1) The user navigates to a new row, 2) the user sits idle for X number of seconds, 3) user tries to close the window, 4) user clicks a button to save changes.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

I don't think the List Control has a data Checkbox... but I've implemented one and I believe it can be found in the forum. Maybe the List Control will also get a new Control Type... which would be good.

If you want to use a Column Layout, then you can use the <In-placeEditingIcons>, but if you want to use a FreeForm Layout, then you need to wait until <In-placeEditingIcons> is implement there. It's use results in an error right now.

The data Checkbox, the way I implemented it, is always available for editing. If you want it to behave the same as the other fields, I'm sure editing can be turned on and off for it as well.

As I said originally in the post that was deleted, this in-place editing is a great step forward. The Detail View is great, but sometimes brings too much moving around. A List, on a tablet, with in-place editing, will be excellent.

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Rich, thanks for your comment. But, like I said, I need to focus on what works now or can be made to work so I have a chance to finish this component in a reasonable time. There are a lot of things that we can wish for, but if they don't work now, then I can't afford to wait.

David, thanks, I'll look for the checkbox you implemented today. You work is always great. Yes, I'm going to stick to the columnar layout for this component. One less thing to worry about.

I've fixed the white on white editing problem. Developer tools pointed to a listSelected css statement line 1057. I haven't learned to use the Alpha style builder, so I went in with notepad, whcih numbers the lines, and fixed it in both developer and webroot by changing color from #fff to #000.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Pat, I wasn't sure from your original post if you were having a problem or not. Remember that you can override css in the UX Local CSS property... and in the List CSS tab. You may be better off correcting it there instead of the main css file since that file may be over-written on the next update with the same code as before.

When you turn on text editing, are you saying that while editing a textbox, the background is white... and the edits you're making are also white? I don't what what style you're using, but the Alpha Style has a blue background for the selected row. The edited text is white on a blue background.

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Thank you David. I'm using Alpha-green as the style. I moved that style to a local style and have already made some other changes, so this was just one more. For example, although I set the compact checkbox, some fields still had 14px of padding. I have a lot of data to show, so I reduced that to 5px. The sales people all have laptops, so I don't have to show this on tablets or phones.

I looked for the checkbox you described, and found the one about fixes to the checkbox control, but that had to do with selected rows. Is that the one you mean? In my case, I have 4 checkboxes in the same row and want them to toggle unchecked to checked and back when clicked. In the SQL table, the fields default to 0 so I don't have to deal with NULL.

The checkboxes shown are conditional images based on hidden fields. When the image is clicked, I want to toggle the hidden field from 1 to 0 or 0 to 1, then update the row. I don't know if I should also change the image in the code or if updating the row will take care of that.

As you know, my JavaScript is poor, but I'm going to give it a shot today.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Do a search in this section for checkbox and my user name there are a few posts. Here is probably the latest and contains the most information...

https://forum.alphasoftware.com/show...light=checkbox

The List Checkbox Select Column feature is different and now works but the List data shifts the first time anything is checked.

I would probably wait a bit and see if Alpha implements a real, updateable, checkbox control for In-Place editing.

Alpha currently implements CheckBoxButtons as a control type for logical checkbox data. It's a solution but takes up a lot of space.

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

David,
    Thanks for the tip on using Local CSS definitions. Turns out in the Alpha-Green (and I'm sure the other Alpha-color styles) there is a file in the Alpha-Green folder named styleInherit.json. An entry in that file was changing my edit back to white. So, I loaded the Alpha-Green style.css file in Notepad++ (because it numbers the lines) and copied line 1057 and pasted into the component Local CSS definitions on the properties tab, modified #fff (white) to #000 (black) and solved my problem.

No such luck with the checkboxes. I tried:
    Using Switch. It works, but the graphic is so large my component runs off the screen. In the future, I'll try to find a smaller switch.
    Using the OnClick event for my Dynamic image to see if I could toggle the hidden value then refresh the row. That event does not appear to fire.
    Tried a radio button and the checkboxes and they also took up too much space.
    Tried a dropdown of the two images, checked and unchecked, with a stored value of 1 or 0 but the feature where you use two values in the select statement does not appear to work, The first vaue was inserted, not the second.

Next, I'm going to try a button to do the toggle and change the image on the button. If that doesn't work, then Ill go back to the dropdown and show the options of "Yes" and blank. I'm sure I can get that to work. If the checkbox control becomes available in the future, it shouldn't take much to implement that.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Also, I know that IADN is devoting some meetings to in-place editing to share the experiences and I'll be attending those. If you are interested, please join.
    Pat, a quote from your first post. Yes I have it on the webinar event schedule for September 20. That is tentitive because I want the feature to be in normal release and have at least a few developers with some work to showcase so we can see it in place. Everyone, go register for here on Sept 20 event as a place holder so you will get an email for the meeting (and if I have to change the date).

Register here: https://iadn.com/events.a5w

If you dont already have an account at IADN, register here: https://iadn.com/register.a5w
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bremkamp View Post
    Rich, thanks for your comment. But, like I said, I need to focus on what works now or can be made to work so I have a chance to finish this component in a reasonable time. There are a lot of things that we can wish for, but if they don't work now, then I can't afford to wait.

David, thanks, I'll look for the checkbox you implemented today. You work is always great. Yes, I'm going to stick to the columnar layout for this component. One less thing to worry about.

I've fixed the white on white editing problem. Developer tools pointed to a listSelected css statement line 1057. I haven't learned to use the Alpha style builder, so I went in with notepad, whcih numbers the lines, and fixed it in both developer and webroot by changing color from #fff to #000.
    I changed my UX Property Style to Alpha-Green and do not see the white on white problem you encountered. The edit row has a green background and the edited text is white...

Further, you don't need to live with the size of the Switch control. Add this css to the List Control CSS tab to style the Switch control to half its default size...

Code:
    .switch {
        height: 22px;
        border-radius: 11px;
    }
    .switchInner {
        margin-left: 11px;
        margin-right: 10px;
    }
    .switchLeft {
       padding-right: 12px;
        line-height: 21px;
     }
    .switchButton {
        margin-left: -10.5px;
        width: 19px;
        height: 19px;
        border-radius: 11px;
    }
    .switchRight {
        padding-left: 12px;
        line-height: 21px;
     }

"Certified" Alphaholic peteconway's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Conway

It's white on white alright.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Thanks Steve, David and Pete for your input. This is starting to look really good now! I showed it to the client and they are excited about it.

My task for today is to figure out where the editing icons are located. The icon for deleting the line and the one to cancel editing are the same and that caused confusion for my client.

Pat
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

David,

That works great! I cut your css in half again, and now it looks like:
    In-place 8-30.png
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

That looks good. I'd adjust a little bit... you're a bit short on the bottom.

Real Name
    Peter Conway

Nice work.
    Change Icons
    Icons.PNG
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Pete,
    Thanks...that's very helpful. I've looked at that screen three times but didn't see that until you pointed it out! Hiding in plain sight.

David,
    I see what you mean so I've done a little and it is a little better. I'll do more when I get a bit more time. I appreciate that you are a perfectionist; it's what makes you such a good benefit to this board.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Real Name
    Peter Conway

List switch now works well in Build 6077 5356 01 Sep-2019 - 10:45 PM
    Click Image

Capture.PNG

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

I haven't seen a problem. Was it not working well in some other release?

Real Name
    Peter Conway

None of my previous tests using the in-place editing switch worked correctly until this build, anyhow works well now and submits the data to the database on switching.

Cheers.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

There isn't a Switch Control Type for In-Place Editing. There is the List Switch Control Type... which has always worked... and continues to work when In-Place Editing is used.

The List Switch Control Type is always available for editing... as opposed to the Control Types available for In-Place Editing which allow edits only when In-Place Editing is activated.

There must have been something else wrong with your UX or List Control or your database if the List Switch Control Type wasn't working for you.

Cheers.

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Thanks Pete and Dave. To me, the most important point is the switch can now be used with confidence. I didn't test it prior to finding out how to resize the switch, so I don't know the history. The on/off values are set right in the switch, so I use a tinyint field, default value of 0 and on value of 1. In my testing, it is working great.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

I sent a bug report about the icon name field for the cancel icon field. The correct icon shows in the list and you can select an icon and it will show correctly, so it is just the display in the property sheet.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Wow! Fixed and enhanced with bubble help in 18 minutes... Those are two new records for response to a bug report and for an enhancement request.
    Last edited by Pat Bremkamp; 09-03-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

I hear you Pat... I know what you're saying... 18 mintues... that's excellent. But... yes there is a but... and I don't want to start anything... but... if just a bit of testing was done... it would have saved your time and more of Alpha's time.

As for the List Switch control... I'm not sure what Peter is talking about... maybe a problem with his List specifically. The List Switch Control type has been good the day it came out.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Beware pre-release build labelled as 6082. It's actually 6081 and produces some really weird results when using in-line editing... and when trying to sync.

Under working preview, a new row is white on white regardless of your style. A row error appears... and this error is the result of a sync.

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html><head>
    <title>500 Internal Server Error</title>
    </head><body>
    <h1>500 Internal Server Error</h1>
    <b>Script Error</b><br />Error:Script:a5DialogHelper_ListViewData() line:799<br/>
    Exception executing XBasic LOOP instruction
    <p>
    <hr>
    <address>Alpha Anywhere Development Server/12.0 Build/6081-5356 at SKULLCANYON Port 1580</address>
    </body></html>

Real Name
    Peter Conway

Might have been my local build, but I have noticed the presentation and the submit process just feels more solid, all positive steps.

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

David, I get that error on 6077 as well, but I can still use Working Preview and keep working on my app.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Real Name
    Peter Conway

I reported this and was told it was me, and that I must have changed the css, not so, anyhow the fix (I figured for now) is to copy the css for the style from the root css in the program directory into the local directory css folder and set the properties of the ux to use it. Not ideal but it lets you keep developing.

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

I am already using a local css, one of the Alpha-xxxx css, and I do have other css libraries that are being used, but I think they are all old like grblue.

On my machine, the "LOOP..." error talks about the extended user security info, which I don't use.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

The loop error no longer affects me in release 6085
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting