Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Error after rolling back from Pre-Release to Official Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error after rolling back from Pre-Release to Official Release

I had been using Official Release 6012 5338.

A few days ago I installed Pre-Release 6058 5350, to check out the new weather control, which is excellent and a great addition.

Then I did some extensive work on a UX while still in the pre-release, and published to my local development server.

I found that list controls were behaving strangely. Being a pre-release with modifications to the list control, I just figured I would roll back to the official release.

But then in the official release, when I try to save the UX I had been working on, I get this error:

Untitled.png

I have not been able to track down the cause.

Anyone else run into this?

Re: Error after rolling back from Pre-Release to Official Release

Did you restore that component back to a state before your pre-release edits? You said you did extensive work in a UX before rolling back so I'd presume that work isn't backwards compatible.
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

Yes, I restored a version prior to the edits made in the pre-release and no error. I should have mentioned that.

Comment

Did you try a "Recalculate all controls" on the UX?

Remember that there are sweeping changes being made to the List Control right now.

It may also depend on what changes you made to the List Control. E.g. I added In-Place Editing to a List Control under 6062. Under 6012 the List Control saves without error, but I still have the List Property "In-place editing settings".

I do this a lot when testing new releases and pre-releases. You must always be prepared with backups when moving between "official" releases and when moving from pre-releases to "official" releases.
        Last edited by Davidk; 08-27-2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
          Did you try a "Recalculate all controls" on the UX?

Remember that there are sweeping changes being made to the List Control right now.

It may also depend on what changes you made to the List Control. E.g. I added In-Place Editing to a List Control under 6062. Under 6012 the List Control saves without error, but I still have the List Property "In-place editing settings".

I do this a lot when testing new releases and pre-releases. You must always be prepared with backups when moving between "official" releases and when moving from pre-releases to "official" releases.
          I always have trouble finding this tool and as I looked around again, I couldn't find it.
          It seems the Recalculate UX controls is now replaced by Update UX Components genie???
          ... https://documentation.alphasoftware....components.xml
          Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Yes I recalculated all controls.

I have backups. Worst case for me is I have to re-create about 6 hours of work.

Comment

I always, always, make little test changes in pre-releases and new "official" releases... then save... then run and test.
              While I'm making significant changes I save the UX and then back up that UX outside of Alpha about every 10 to 15 minutes... or at a logical time, e.g. code completion. I do not trust internal Alpha backups. I date and number the backups as I go. This takes a little more time, but far less than your 6 hours... plus... your code is never the same the second time around. My expectation is that the UX will fail at some point... and I want to be ready for it. When it doesn't I'm pleasantly surprised and move on.

Comment

No doubt it was a mistake to make extensive edits in the pre-release. Guilty as charged.

This demonstrates that backwards compatibility is questionable.

Lesson learned.

I have tried a number of things to try and identify if maybe a control is causing this. I deleted the lists from the UX. Still get the error.

So I sent a bug report. Granted that pre-releases have bugs, but I think that Alpha tries to maintain backwards compatibility, so maybe it can be addressed..

Comment

You can even get burned in ways that you might not expect when dealing with pre-releases.
                  As an example, when the SQL Audit feature was introduced in a pre-release, I tried it out and created the associated table and it was working fine.
                  When the next official release came around, I updated and the audit feature stopped working. Why ... because Alpha added an additional field to the SQL audit table and that field wasn't present in the previous table. I think it was David who actually figured it out.

Needless to say, you have to be super careful with pre-releases, they can be quite risky indeed.
                  Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Sorry i didn't notice this thread before. I've been bitten by this one too.
                    What i did for the problematic ux was :
                    - create a new ux
                    - in the old ux select all controls, copy and paste them to the newly created one
                    - copy and paste al javascriptm xbasic functions and events
                    - refresh data binding - add the tables, then automatically binding brings back all the field bindings
                    - save the newly created ux and test. When succesful, rename the offending ux as backup and give the new ux the old name (after setting component security as well)

Comment

More self-inflicted than bitten. Always remember that pre-releases are essentially untested code. You don't know what's going to happen until you install a pre-release as a separate install and test it yourself... far away from your production system.

Comment

Working...
                      X