Alpha Video Training

Thread: Do you use TabbedUI for your apps, or different menu systems?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

Default Do you use TabbedUI for your apps, or different menu systems?

Hi
    I'm looking at maybe using an UX with menubars and flyingout menus, instead of the TabbedUI. What do you guys use?
    Tried playing with ExpandingMenu control a bit, but it's a pain (if almost impossible) to adapt it to Right-to-Left environment...

Thanks
    Jaime

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Default Re: Do you use TabbedUI for your apps, or different menu systems?

I use BOTH depending on what the user chooses. have a look at https://www.nwcopro.com
    username: owner@owner.com
    PW: qazwsx

I am sure you will recognize the layouts and parts I might have used to produce the layouts. Basically if your on an ipad or mobile phone you'll want to choose the field app instead of the desktop app (which is the tabbedui)
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

That's nice Charles. I see what you did. I am a little scared to use a ux with panels, it becomes slow quite fast when adding many panels that run grids and ux each

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

It can. I would recommend building it as compartmentalized as possible, in other words build a stage to house embedded components with delayed render. Also keep the number of fields down to the absolute minimum. Another thing you can do is load a list without a detail view, then open an editing component to select only the one record your editing. Also, and probably most important is to index the database table on the filtering criteria and move that field or fields to be first in order - this seems to make a huge difference in timing. Beyond that, you can use a view for that initial list with ONLY the fields you will display in the list and that will load much faster than a full table, like I said, to edit just make another component that will load the single row.
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"