Alpha Video Training

Thread: (help) change return value 'undefined' in FormView field using lookup

Real Name
    Marlon Rotty

Default (help) change return value 'undefined' in FormView field using lookup

I build a formview with lookup value in every field because I want to display name value rather than id value (data source is numeric type)
    12-09-2019_215648_CaptureImage.jpg

my problem is when the data source value is empty, it looks like the lookup will return with 'undefined' as a value.
    how to make the field display no value or still empty instead of undefined? it that possible?
    12-09-2019_215604_CaptureImage.jpg

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Default Re: (help) change return value 'undefined' in FormView field using lookup

please send a test case and we will show you how to do it, or if it is not possible now, we can add a feature to the formview to make it possible

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Default Re: (help) change return value 'undefined' in FormView field using lookup

Quote Originally Posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
    please send a test case and we will show you how to do it, or if it is not possible now, we can add a feature to the formview to make it possible
    thanks for sending in your test case
    we have made a change to the way lookups are implemented in the FormView.
    in your case, you have a lookup field, that is empty (in your case the lookup value appears to be "0" for the missing data) and currently the lookup logic returns 'undefined' if a lookup match was not found.
    the change we made is that if the lookup field is empty we now return a value of blank (rather than undefined).
    undefined is now only returned if the lookup value is not empty and the lookup source does not have a match

however, you can get the result you want with the existing build you are using by changing the lookup type to "function" (from the current setting of "list")
    once you do this you have complete control over how the lookup works.
    here is a sample of how you might define the lookup function for one of your lookups

function lookup3(data) {
    if(data == 0) return '';
    var _d = {dialog.object}.getControl('listcaptain')
    for(var i = 0; i < _d.lenth; i++) {
    if(_d[i].ID == data) return _d[i].Fullname

}

return 'undefined'

}

Real Name
    Marlon Rotty

Glad to hear this feature will be in the next build, will more helpful and easier if this function is set in the lookup properties. Thank you very much Selwyn!

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

i am afraid i don't understand the point you are making. the lookup feature offers two options. 1) use a list as the lookup source or 2) a custom option where you can write you own javascript function and completely control how the lookup is performed and what data is returned by the lookup.

are you saying that if you choose the custom option you would like to be able to define the custom javascript function in the form builder ? if so, then you can. the form builder has a "javascript" tab.