Alpha Video Training

Thread: Browse not opening on form

Real Name
    Malcolm Campbell

Default Browse not opening on form

I have a number of forms where there is a browse of the table for the form that should open when the form is opened.

When I try to create a new form with a browse on it, or I edit a form when It has an existing browse and then open the form I get the following messages in sequnce

'Could not load that saved layout occurred while trying to start application' then 'script05_layout view generic0 line 313 Object is not defined"

Happens on all of my databases. Can reinstate proper operation by restoring a prior version of theform.

Ant suggestions how I can fix?

Real Name
    Robin

Default Re: Browse not opening on form

Hi Malcolm,
    Welcome to the middle (sorry couldn't resist)

How does the default form for the table/set behave? Try modifying that and see if it is Ok. It could be the saved form is corrupt. Which a compact on the database may (or may not) fix.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Malcolm Campbell

Hi Robin
    default form works OK.
    I have tried compacting with no effect.
    Existing forms with browses on them work OK UNTIL I edit the form and then I get the messages in the original post and form will not open. I have a number of applications using alpha5 version 12 that I have developed over many years. The same problem arises with at least two other applications.

I am trying to use a browse on a form based on a single table. The browse is intended to show all the records in the table so that I can select one that I want. This has always worked perfectly for me until today.

Given that the problem now shows on different applications and on all forms in the application it seems to me that it is not associated with the form I am working on but is some sort of issue with Alpha 5 - some sort of corruption or resetting of a function.

"Certified" Alphaholic Ted Giles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ted Giles

Al B mentioned that if you edit a form when the form was open but the record had not been saved, that will cause this error.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

http://ec12.example-software.com//
    See our site for Alpha Support, Conversion and Upgrade.

Real Name
    Robin

I recently discovered a similar issue in working with an older database in v12 - my sets cannot be edited...
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

"Certified" Alphaholic Tom Henkel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tom Henkel

We've had similar issues. Some of the v12 updates can really make a mess of forms, reports and browses.

My machine is using build 4491, addin 4932.

Another developer in the office is using a different build, and cannot edit calc fields on a report, so this needs to be done with my build.

Many of the updates pertain to the web version, and I fear that they may inadvertently be breaking things in the desktop.

Tom

"Certified" Alphaholic Ronald Anusiewicz's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ronald Anusiewicz

Shortly after issuing Build 4269, Alpha changed the Microsoft C Compiler from version 1800 to 1916. I have found Build 4269 to be very stable. I have tried numerous different builds after 4269, and they all contain bugs. I have submitted numerous bug reports and a co-developer has a bug report in right now. It's very important to list your Build when posting to the board. Your issue may require submitting a bug report to get it resolved.
    Alpha Anywhere v3.5
    Version 12.3, Build 2999
    MySql56 & DBF's

Alpha 4, 5, Anywhere

Ron Anusiewicz

Real Name
    Robin

Many of the updates pertain to the web version, and I fear that they may inadvertently be breaking things in the desktop.
    Which is the reason the desktop needs to be a separate entity!
    Robin