Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha server consuming large amounts of memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha server consuming large amounts of memory

I have recently updated a clients Alpha server to build 6012-5338 (non IIS version) and the server is continually increasing the amount of memory its using during the day to the extent that the service has to be stopped and re-started several times during the day.

Nothing has changed in terms of the applications being run or the number of users and prior to the server upgrade we did not have this issue.

Just wondered if anyone else has come across the same problem or has any advice as to how to track down the problem?

Many thanks
    Julian

Re: Alpha server consuming large amounts of memory

Julian
    It sounds like their is a memory leak in one of your component. If would be very helpful if you could identify which component or .a5w page is leaking and then send us the test case.

Comment

Hi Julian/Selwyn,

I ran into the exact same problem with the current release. I ended up having to roll back to a previous version. The memory kept increasing to the point that the application crashed (PetSitClick).

A few years back this issue used to happen to me all the time, but the releases since about 2014 have been rock solid from this perspective, I was very surprised to see it was back. But much worse because the memory creep would occur over about 4-5 hours vs. 24 hours in 2013/2014.

My plan was to wait for the next release and try using that new batch feature to recalculate all of UX components. Selwyn, any chance that could solve the problem?

When I next try to upgrade what log would be the best to capture the issue?

Cheers,

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
        Julian
        It sounds like their is a memory leak in one of your component. If would be very helpful if you could identify which component or .a5w page is leaking and then send us the test case.
        How would someone identify which component or .a5w page was leaking? What is the process for doing this?

Comment

Maybe this helps, seems pretty complex to me to actually determine what is causing a memory leak .. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-a-memory-leak

I too would like Alpha's recommendation on how to go about this.
          Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Me three! I'm wondering if there is some sort of unpublished tool Alpha has to detect such an instance. Or does one have to monitor the task manager and open pages one by one and take an educated guess?
            Mike Brown - Contact Me
            Programmatic Technologies, LLC
            Programmatic-Technologies.com
            Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

Well there is a tool, I used it some years ago, (jerry brighthill from alpa gave it to me) can’t remember the details but it found whenever there was a data refresh using the timer in the UX, the memory would leak, so it does exist, there was also a toll the made the server logs actually useful. Screwed without it really.
              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
              Albert Einstein, (attributed)
              US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

From what I understand there isn't any tool. You need to turn on all logs and run each component, one at a time, until you see the leak. It's a bit of a slog, but there's no other way to do it.

Comment

Sorry David, I didn’t imagine this, it was some years ago in Nevada When the tool was made available, I no longer have access and simply don’t Remember the name of the application back in 2015, I still recommend contacting Jerry.
                  Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

It doesn't make sense that there is a tool and Selwyn doesn't know about it. Why would he post "identify which component or .a5w page is leaking and then send us the test case" without offering some kind of hint of how to actually identify where the leak is coming from?

Comment

Well, I know I had to fight hard to get the utilities back then, so who knows.

Comment

Not sure I understand. The tool was made available... and you got it from Jerry... but you had to "fight hard" for it... and you no longer have it... and there is no name for it.

Comment

At one time, Alpha had a internal use only tool that could analyze the data in the Raw HTTP Logs to find the time between a request and a response, and the memory used after a response for the standard server. The format of the logs changes slightly over time, and the tool was never updated.

However, the data still exists in the Raw HTTP Log.

To find the time for a request to response, find the request in the log by looking for the header record such as

08/Aug/2018:09:32:45 -0400
                          Thread Name: AppServerWorker5
                          Thread ID: f248d9a99efa4b6ba8866703ec544570
                          Request Sequence: 22
                          Socket Handle: 4444
                          KeepAlive Sequence: 1
                          **HEADERS**

POST /myapp/aComp.a5wcmp?__virtualPage=__a5RunDialog.a5w&__dialogFilename=AComp&__alias=DLG1&__unsaved=no HTTP/1.1

The POST or GET will show the page and / or component requested, such as the component "AComp" above. To find the response, look for a match using the data in Thread ID, Request Sequence, and Socket Handle

Such as:

08/Aug/2018:09:32:45 -0400
                          Thread Name: AppServerWorker5
                          KeepAlive Sequence: 1
                          Sessions/Tables/Variables/Exceptions|Memory/Peak/PageFaults: 11/2/4033/0|142848000/180813824/187133
                          **RESPONSE**

If you compare the times in the header and response, you will see it took effectively 0 seconds. You can also find the time to build the body by looking for the **BODY** record. The Response record also has other useful information such as

Sessions/Tables/Variables/Exceptions|Memory/Peak/PageFaults: 11/2/4033/0|142848000/180813824/187133

By tracking the Memory, and the Peak memory, you can often find what requests caused memory to go up

Comment

Thanks Jerry. David you really can go to far.. - could be the reason contributors to the Message Board no longer bother.

Comment

Still not sure I understand. Alpha had an internal use only tool... but gave it to users... but no longer have it.

So now, in order to find a leak, you must search through hours of a log for every .a5w page and component used in an application, then find and compare the request and response each time that UX was accessed. Needle in a haystack time. This just doesn't sound right.

Comment

Working...
                              X