Alpha Video Training

Thread: Send email only works in Grid Builder

"Certified" Alphaholic Rich Hartnett's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Hartnett

Default Send email only works in Grid Builder

I'm scratching my head on this one. I have a simple grid that is used to send email notifications to a group of people. I have one field in the grid that will be sent with the email, and the email send function is supposed to fire when the Submit button is pushed.

It works fine when I test it in the grid/component builder, but when I save it as a web page and test it from there, the record is saved but the email does not send. Any idea what would be stopping it when it is submitted from a web page?

It works here:
    Screen Shot 10-11-19 at 02.47 PM.JPG

Screen Shot 10-11-19 at 02.57 PM.JPG

Doesn't work here:
    Screen Shot 10-11-19 at 02.53 PM.JPG
    Sergeant Richard Hartnett
    Hyattsville City Police Department
    Maryland

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

Default Re: Send email only works in Grid Builder

Do you have your default email client properly setup on the server? You are not including any settings in your call to email_send, so it will try to use either the default from the server (right click on the running server icon and select email) or from the default settings in the project. (I think.)

Either way, if these are set up locally, but not on the server, the email won't send. Even if they seem to be setup, you might want to send a test email to make sure they work properly.

"Certified" Alphaholic Rich Hartnett's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Hartnett

Quote Originally Posted by lgrupido View Post
    Do you have your default email client properly setup on the server? You are not including any settings in your call to email_send, so it will try to use either the default from the server (right click on the running server icon and select email) or from the default settings in the project. (I think.)

Either way, if these are set up locally, but not on the server, the email won't send. Even if they seem to be setup, you might want to send a test email to make sure they work properly.

Hello lgrupido,
    Yes I have the server set up to send emails and I can click on the "Test" button and it sends a sample email from the Alpha 5 Server. As I said, when in the grid builder, I can click on the "Submit" button and it will not only save the record, but it sends the email as it is supposed to, it's just when I do it on the live .a5w page that it only saves the record. (No email is sent.) So I know the SMTP email server is working, it's not working when used on the web.

Now on the other hand, if I create an action button to send the email it works fine on the web, I just can't get it to send as part of the Submit process.
    Sergeant Richard Hartnett
    Hyattsville City Police Department
    Maryland

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

You can put a JavaScript action into the appropriate client side event (like, perhaps, afterGridsubmit).