Alpha Video Training

Thread: Prevent the first value in a text field from being a blank space

Real Name
    Joe

Default Prevent the first value in a text field from being a blank space

Hi All...

Been searching around and I'm trying to figure out how to do this...

I have UX that users enter Insured information in (Company Name, Address, City, State, etc.). For the Company Name users either copy and paste it from somewhere or type it in. When they do so they sometimes put a blank space in as the first character.

Ex. " My Company Name" instead of "My Company Name"

This cause problems as the value that is entered gets used on the systems that read from the database that is used for the Alpha application. That space causes all sorts of problems from filing documents automatically to generating policy documents.

Is their a way to prevent or scrub that blank space before the user submits the UX?

Thanks
    Joe
    Never take a ride to the edge of your mind unless you've got a ticket back - Jon Oliva - Savatage.

"Certified" Alphaholic mikeallenbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Brown

Default Re: Prevent the first value in a text field from being a blank space

Try this JS in the onBlur client-side event...

Code:
    var companyName = {dialog.object}.getValue('CompanyName');

{dialog.object}.setValue('CompanyName',companyName.trim());
    Should trim both the leading and trailing spaces. The code executes when the user leaves (tabs off or clicks some other control) the company field.
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant

Real Name
    Joe

Awesome...thank you!!! I can see me using that everywhere that that is occurring.
    Never take a ride to the edge of your mind unless you've got a ticket back - Jon Oliva - Savatage.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

If this is a SQL database, you could also write similar code into a trigger statement. That way it would be active for every save/edit on every form and you could write all the code in one place.

"Certified" Alphaholic TheSmitchell's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by cavj1 View Post
    Hi All...

Been searching around and I'm trying to figure out how to do this...

I have UX that users enter Insured information in (Company Name, Address, City, State, etc.). For the Company Name users either copy and paste it from somewhere or type it in. When they do so they sometimes put a blank space in as the first character.

Ex. " My Company Name" instead of "My Company Name"

This cause problems as the value that is entered gets used on the systems that read from the database that is used for the Alpha application. That space causes all sorts of problems from filing documents automatically to generating policy documents.

Is their a way to prevent or scrub that blank space before the user submits the UX?

Thanks
    Joe
    Hello Joe,

The Client Side Propertes > Client side formatting can be used to strip out those spaces.

Enable the "Client side formatting" property and specify the Format type is "Custom". Then, add this to the format definition:

Code:
    data = $u.s.aTrim(data)
    That should do what you want without needing to add anything to the client-side events. Bonus: Works if you set the value programmatically; onBlur does not execute if you set the value with code.

formatRemoveSpaces.png
    Alpha Anywhere latest pre-release