Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Access a Desktop Application thru RD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access a Desktop Application thru RD

Please advise if it is possible to run a Desktop Alpha Five Application and access it from different users in different areas of the contry thru Remote Desktop as it were used with Runtime?

Thanks

Luis R

Re: Access a Desktop Application thru RD

If it is running on the remote computer, logging into that computer is JUST YOU operating as if you were there - so yeah, you can do anything with RD as though you were there so unless there is something I am missing in what you are asking it should work fine
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

I don't think more than one user can access a PC remotely using RD.
      Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Obviously there are web server based solutions for Windows servers that can bypass RDS and so there is no need for extra RDS CALS when running desktops applications.

Comment

There's a couple options being tossed around here.
          There is the option of an RDP server, which requires CALS but lets multiple users access their own session on the server.
          There is RDP on a PC, which allows one user at a time to use that PC from a remote location (I use this option all the time).
          Finally, there is the web-based remote access Kenneth referred to. This is the first I've heard of, but it does exist. With any
          luck Kenneth will elaborate on this option.
          Gregg
          https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Originally posted by madtowng View Post
            There is the option of an RDP server, which requires CALS but lets multiple users access their own session on the server.
            There is RDP on a PC, which allows one user at a time to use that PC from a remote location (I use this option all the time).
            Finally, there is the web-based remote access Kenneth referred to. This is the first I've heard of, but it does exist. With any
            Try looking at a solution called Thinstuff.
            We have used it with great success to create a wan using simple windows pc as a server.
            Bob Whitaker

Comment

Originally posted by madtowng View Post
              I think this option (bold above and in MS servers) is just for server maintenance and the license does not allow to use installed (for example Alpha developer) applications like in normal PC.

Kenneth

Comment

Thank you all for the help.
                I will take a look at the different options suggested.

Best regards

Luis R

Comment

I'm pretty sure Microsoft intended people to be able to use their pc from remote locations as if they were right in front of their pc.
                  This article references windows 7, but they have improved things for the remote user since that time.
                  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...top-connection
                  Gregg
                  https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

We use logmein to access our desktops remotely.

Many times I need to make changes during off hours, and I really have no desire to drive 30+ miles to the office to do this. Logmein allows me to control my office machine from a remote location. This past year, while on vacation, we had an emergency, and I was able to bring up and control my office machine from Florida.

We have numerous employees outstationed and they access their office machines in the same way.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
                      It seems to me that TeamViewer would be a much better deal with that many users than LogMeIn. I have used TeamViewer for years between a friend and myself so not commercial, and my experience is TeamViewer is significantly better than Logmein was. Educate me.
                      Mike W

Comment

Mike,

I haven't had much experience with teamviewer, but we've been using logmein for years. Not my decision, but it has worked very well for us. One of our vendors does use teamviewer when they need to fix things, and it seems to be fine. The decision to go with logmein was just a choice we made years ago, and we have stuck with it.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Henkel View Post
                          Mike,

I haven't had much experience with teamviewer, but we've been using logmein for years. Not my decision, but it has worked very well for us. One of our vendors does use teamviewer when they need to fix things, and it seems to be fine. The decision to go with logmein was just a choice we made years ago, and we have stuck with it.

Tom
                          Aeroadmin is another option. It works great. https://www.aeroadmin.com/en/
                          Create windows desktop applications using pure web components.

Visit https://a5wd.com and download our Alpha Anywhere Library.

Comment

A late reply:
                            Remote Desktop, Team-viewer, PC anywhere, VNC, etc. would only allow one user on one computer, so two computers for each user being one at company central location and the second at remote location which in my mind makes no sense.

If you are looking at or currently running an application that uses many desktop connections/users with a (main computer/server database) on the local network at central location, you could use a VPN connection through the internet on remote computers, launch the application at the remote location and it would work like it is on the local network at central location. You can have dozens of computers logged in using VPN connections only limit is company servers locations internet upstream bandwidth since remote computers will be pulling data from the main location. Remember that local networks (LAN) are now gigabyte bandwidth and the internet (WAN) is limited to what you can afford to pay for bandwidth, so the remote users might notice difference and then maybe not depending on what data gets pulled from remote users if graphics, video, pictures, etc.

Just my two cent worth of thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by datacaster View Post
                              A late reply:
                              Remote Desktop, Team-viewer, PC anywhere, VNC, etc. would only allow one user on one computer, so two computers for each user being one at company central location and the second at remote location which in my mind makes no sense.

Just my two cent worth of thoughts!
                              TSPlus does allow multiple external simultanious users into a single desktop (not server OS - but I'd suggest it)
                              Al Buchholz
                              Bookwood Systems, LTD
                              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Working...
                              X