Alpha Video Training

Thread: Access a Desktop Application thru RD

Real Name
    Luis E Rodriguez-Galvan

Default Access a Desktop Application thru RD

Please advise if it is possible to run a Desktop Alpha Five Application and access it from different users in different areas of the contry thru Remote Desktop as it were used with Runtime?

Thanks

Luis R

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Default Re: Access a Desktop Application thru RD

If it is running on the remote computer, logging into that computer is JUST YOU operating as if you were there - so yeah, you can do anything with RD as though you were there so unless there is something I am missing in what you are asking it should work fine
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Real Name
    Robin

I don't think more than one user can access a PC remotely using RD.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Kenneth

Obviously there are web server based solutions for Windows servers that can bypass RDS and so there is no need for extra RDS CALS when running desktops applications.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Gregg Schmidt

There's a couple options being tossed around here.
    There is the option of an RDP server, which requires CALS but lets multiple users access their own session on the server.
    There is RDP on a PC, which allows one user at a time to use that PC from a remote location (I use this option all the time).
    Finally, there is the web-based remote access Kenneth referred to. This is the first I've heard of, but it does exist. With any
    luck Kenneth will elaborate on this option.

Real Name
    Bob Whitaker

Quote Originally Posted by madtowng View Post
    There is the option of an RDP server, which requires CALS but lets multiple users access their own session on the server.
    There is RDP on a PC, which allows one user at a time to use that PC from a remote location (I use this option all the time).
    Finally, there is the web-based remote access Kenneth referred to. This is the first I've heard of, but it does exist. With any
    Try looking at a solution called Thinstuff.
    We have used it with great success to create a wan using simple windows pc as a server.
    Bob Whitaker

Real Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by madtowng View Post
    I think this option (bold above and in MS servers) is just for server maintenance and the license does not allow to use installed (for example Alpha developer) applications like in normal PC.

Kenneth

Real Name
    Luis E Rodriguez-Galvan

Thank you all for the help.
    I will take a look at the different options suggested.

Best regards

Luis R

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Gregg Schmidt

I'm pretty sure Microsoft intended people to be able to use their pc from remote locations as if they were right in front of their pc.
    This article references windows 7, but they have improved things for the remote user since that time.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...top-connection

"Certified" Alphaholic Tom Henkel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tom Henkel

We use logmein to access our desktops remotely.

Many times I need to make changes during off hours, and I really have no desire to drive 30+ miles to the office to do this. Logmein allows me to control my office machine from a remote location. This past year, while on vacation, we had an emergency, and I was able to bring up and control my office machine from Florida.

We have numerous employees outstationed and they access their office machines in the same way.

Tom

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Hi Tom,
    It seems to me that TeamViewer would be a much better deal with that many users than LogMeIn. I have used TeamViewer for years between a friend and myself so not commercial, and my experience is TeamViewer is significantly better than Logmein was. Educate me.
    Mike W

"Certified" Alphaholic Tom Henkel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tom Henkel

Mike,

I haven't had much experience with teamviewer, but we've been using logmein for years. Not my decision, but it has worked very well for us. One of our vendors does use teamviewer when they need to fix things, and it seems to be fine. The decision to go with logmein was just a choice we made years ago, and we have stuck with it.

Tom

Real Name
    Roland Santiago

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Henkel View Post
    Mike,

I haven't had much experience with teamviewer, but we've been using logmein for years. Not my decision, but it has worked very well for us. One of our vendors does use teamviewer when they need to fix things, and it seems to be fine. The decision to go with logmein was just a choice we made years ago, and we have stuck with it.

Tom
    Aeroadmin is another option. It works great. https://www.aeroadmin.com/en/

Real Name
    Paul Hunter

A late reply:
    Remote Desktop, Team-viewer, PC anywhere, VNC, etc. would only allow one user on one computer, so two computers for each user being one at company central location and the second at remote location which in my mind makes no sense.

If you are looking at or currently running an application that uses many desktop connections/users with a (main computer/server database) on the local network at central location, you could use a VPN connection through the internet on remote computers, launch the application at the remote location and it would work like it is on the local network at central location. You can have dozens of computers logged in using VPN connections only limit is company servers locations internet upstream bandwidth since remote computers will be pulling data from the main location. Remember that local networks (LAN) are now gigabyte bandwidth and the internet (WAN) is limited to what you can afford to pay for bandwidth, so the remote users might notice difference and then maybe not depending on what data gets pulled from remote users if graphics, video, pictures, etc.

Just my two cent worth of thoughts!

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by datacaster View Post
    A late reply:
    Remote Desktop, Team-viewer, PC anywhere, VNC, etc. would only allow one user on one computer, so two computers for each user being one at company central location and the second at remote location which in my mind makes no sense.

Just my two cent worth of thoughts!
    TSPlus does allow multiple external simultanious users into a single desktop (not server OS - but I'd suggest it)
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Paul Hunter

From an application standpoint, would they be able to be isolated to run multiple instances of the same Alpha application so it appears they are accessing many desktops?
    I like to learn new things if I can and this sounds interesting.

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

From an application standpoint, would they be able to be isolated to run multiple instances of the same Alpha application so it appears they are accessing many desktops?

Thanks!
    Yes
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Kenneth

Thanks!
    Interesting is also that if you use xdialog with Chrome control you actually can build responsive desktop applications which act very similar like web applications but has advantages of desktop.

This above and TSPlus (or similar) and runtime and node intergration makes AA Desktop a Beast.

Kenneth

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

We have used Microsoft Terminal Services for years, successfully.
    I use Teamviewer to remotely support clients,and Logmein to invite people to my computer
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Quote Originally Posted by kkfin View Post
    Interesting is also that if you use xdialog with Chrome control you actually can build responsive desktop applications which act very similar like web applications but has advantages of desktop.

This above and TSPlus (or similar) and runtime and node intergration makes AA Desktop a Beast.

Kenneth
    Gosh,
    If I only knew what all that meant. It seems Kenneth is leveraging AA Desktop to capabilities that I certainly could not conceive, but sure would like to see.
    Mike W

Real Name
    Kenneth

Here are some old examples:

Xdialog responsive layout and JQuery,

Xdialod and KendiUI-Spreadsheet and Spreadsheet upload to AA Was server and download back to filesystem and spreadsheet open again locally,

Xdialog and Nodejs.

This all of course works also with TSPlus.

Kenneth

Real Name
    John

Kenneth, Good stuff! You seem to be one of the few posters that has been using the desktop web components option. If you could help with some questions regarding the examples because the documentation barely explains any of this.

1) The responsive layout form. Did you create the form as a UX then use the create Xdialog genie...or use an Xbasic script to open the UX...or just create from scratch?

2) Using Kendo in a desktop app. Where do you place the 3rd party js libraries and how do they load into an xDialog?

3) Xdialog and Nodejs. Are you using the Alpha built-in Node server and if this is a runtime app where are you hosting that server. Or can you use an independent server on a remote machine?

Thanks

Real Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by menehune View Post
    Kenneth, Good stuff! You seem to be one of the few posters that has been using the desktop web components option. If you could help with some questions regarding the examples because the documentation barely explains any of this.

1) The responsive layout form. Did you create the form as a UX then use the create Xdialog genie...or use an Xbasic script to open the UX...or just create from scratch?

2) Using Kendo in a desktop app. Where do you place the 3rd party js libraries and how do they load into an xDialog?

3) Xdialog and Nodejs. Are you using the Alpha built-in Node server and if this is a runtime app where are you hosting that server. Or can you use an independent server on a remote machine?

Thanks

I am actually not using any UX components. I use xdialog and Chrome control.

1) This is made with Bootstrap3(2017) and JavaScript and css and xbasic in xdialog. That's all.
    For example css is loaded
    Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="a5file://C:\alphatesting\budget\assets\css\site.css" />
    bind event to submit (DOM):

Code:
    dim mapping as c 
    mapping = <<%txt%
    b1|click|event1
    b2|click|event2
    %txt%
    cp.AddEventListeners(mapping)
    and fire event:

Code:
    if a_dlg_button = "event1" then 
        a_dlg_button = ""
        dim scr as N
        scr = cp.GetValue("totalhours")
        ui_msg_box("Development hours:",scr)
    2) Everything runs in Xdialog. You make first Chrome Control available
    Code:
    dim cp as helper::Chrome
    Then there is two option how to load external js. You can use local filesystem (maybe the best option) or from web (CDN).
    There is two option from local filesystem (a5file: of file:) For security reasons you have to disable chrome control security:
    Code:
    cp.flag_web_security_disabled = .t.
    but in my opinion just a5file currently actually works but in old version of Chrome control both did work.

3) I am using Alphas Node and xdialog. It is basically just a xbasic function you have created (with node and xbasic) and then you just run it. But you can do whatever. Nothing is impossible.

Kenneth

Real Name
    Kenneth

By the way here is one nice example more what one can do with Alpha Anywhere Desktop.

In left there is a web browser and in right there is Xdialog and THEY COMMUNICATE TOGETHER IN REAL TIME.

Note the web page is running in Amazon AWS S3 and so the web page is just a static web page.

Here is the link.