Alpha Video Training

Thread: hideWaitMessage firing too soon

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Chris Tappan

Default hideWaitMessage firing too soon

I have a list in a UX that persists data, and I have Javascript that refreshes the list data when the UX is opened. The list has lots of data so it can take a several seconds to refresh.

Per the javascript, the showWaitMessage fires before the refreshListData, and then a hideWaitMessage is used the onListReady event of the list.

The hideWaitMessage consistently disappears before the list is totally rendered or refreshed (or something). Users will see the message disappear, click on a record and start interacting with it, and then the list actually finishes refreshing and changes what they've worked on or execute show/hide or enable/disable Javascript that's confusing.

I've tried putting the hideWaitMessage in several of the list events and haven't had any better success. Is there a better way to tell that the UX and list data are truly finished loading so I can keep the wait message up until it's safe to start working?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: hideWaitMessage firing too soon

This is another example of how bad, and wrong, the Alpha documentation is.

A good tip that works for some methods, and does work for showWaitMessage, is to create Action Javascript... and then turn that action into code. The action has a property for "Auto close after how many milliseconds". Fill that in and when you turn the action into code you'll see how it's used...

Code:
    {dialog.object}.showWaitMessage('container:CONTAINER_1',{useCSSAnimation: false,message: 'Wait...',icon: 'css/A5System/Images/wait.gif',waitMessageAutoCloseDelay: 10000});
    In the in-line help for this action, in the milliseconds property, you'll see a reference to {dialog.Object}.waitMessageAutoCloseDelay. This is a dialog property you can set in your Javascript code.

Set a long wait message time and then your hideWaitMessage() will close the message when you run it.

Code:
    {dialog.Object}.waitMessageAutoCloseDelay = 65000;
    {dialog.object}.showWaitMessage('container:CONTAINER_1',{useCSSAnimation: false,message: 'Wait...',icon: 'css/A5System/Images/wait.gif'});

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Try following the action javascript we have in the image below. It works well for several applications. In this case, we are requesting the user click a button to refesh, but you don't have to do that. Use any event you want to trigger it.sync_process.png

Make sure to check the box "run actions synchronously" at the bottom.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Gregg Schmidt

It's been a long night, so I'm not going to try the correct terminology.
    JavaScript by default does not wait for one command to finish before executing the next command.
    I believe the solution is to wrap the code to refreshListData in a function.
    This link explains it much better than I do https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/ja...-1cc090ddad99/.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Which List events have you tried? In my UX, refreshing a 35,000 row list take approx. 12-15 seconds. Using onListDraw seems to work well - I put the .hideWaitMessage() in there.

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Your issue is common and that is why Alpha has an action that fires once the sync is complete. You can use that along with what I mentioned. What we have instituted works really well, but it does add a layer of control on top which prevents the user from clicking on the list until it's been refreshed. You could use the server side "after sync" event as well as the "after save confirmation". Both are in the list detail properties. I think there are a lot of built in options it just depends on your specific use case and requirements.

You could also take full control of the sync process if you want...and handle it all programmatically and remove most of the javascirpt calls. We did that on one project and it was a pain - but it did work. We had to do that for a different reason though.

Good luck.