Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

List Control Fill container & Client-side Show/hide expression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

List Control Fill container & Client-side Show/hide expression

Build 6232_5386

I am attempting to use the Fill container property of a list control, while also using a client-side show/hide expression for the same list control.

A sample UX is attached.
    It has a simple list control using sample static text. The list is inside a container.
    There is a text control named ShowHide, and a button to toggles the value of the ShowHide control to "Show" or blank.
    The client-side show/hide expression in the list control is: ShowHide = 'Show'
    Initially the Fill container property is unchecked.

Run the UX as is and it works as expected. The list is rendered and it is hidden or shown when the Toggle Show/Hide button is clicked.

Next, in the list control field properties, check the Fill container checkbox. Now the list populates but Toggle Show/Hide button has no effect.

So I thought I could use the same show/hide expression in the container instead of the list control.
    I removed the show/hide expression from the list control and put the same expression in the show/hide expression in the container.
    Now the Toggle Show/Hide button works but the list populates the header only. No rows are populated.

TestListShowHide.zip

Re: List Control Fill container & Client-side Show/hide expression

without looking at it, my guess is that there is a different container wrapping the list control. Use dev tools in chrome to find it and add the same same code to toggle it referencing the additional container.
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

I can go after the container like this.

Code:
      $('DLG1.V.R1.CONTAINER_1').style.display='none';
      $('DLG1.V.R1.CONTAINER_1').style.display='inline';
      But it should be easier.

Comment

Two options I use are.

Add a specific List Refresh
        var _x = {dialog.Object}.getValue('ShowHide');
        if(_x == '') {
        {dialog.Object}.setValue('ShowHide','Show');
        }
        else if(_x == 'Show') {
        {dialog.object}.refreshListData('LIST1');
        {dialog.Object}.setValue('ShowHide','');
        }
        or a parent container as placeholder for the child (list) to perform the show/hide, without clearing the data as a result of the hide instruction.

Capture_ShowHide.PNG

Cheers Pete
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
        Albert Einstein, (attributed)
        US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Leave the Show/Hide expression on both the List control and the Container. Now you should get the results you want.

This looks like a bug. If you take the expression off the List control (keeping it on the Container) and render the component... and then "show" the List... you will see only the header, as you've reported. Now, resize the browser window... or Inspect the page. Or... if you are already inspecting the page, adjust the Inspection window a bit. You'll find the List now displays.

You should report this.

Comment

I never thought to try putting the Show/Hide expression on both the List control and the Container. It kinda makes sense.

I will send a bug report.

Thanks again David.

Comment

I really think it comes down to a timing issue on the rendering or "paint" as I have seen a similar issue with panel footers wherein it will show correctly on resizing of the window. Either way, it's a great conversation and perhaps you'll clear up a timing issue that deals with this as well.
              NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

What was the result of the bug report you sent regarding the panel footers?

Comment

I sent a bug report yesterday.

Selwyn's response:
                  put your show/hide on the container and it will work as expected.
                  i have changed the help text for the show/hide expression

Pic.png

Me:
                  Actually, if the Show/Hide expression is in both the list control and the container, it behaves correctly. So saying that you cannot use a Show/Hide expression might be overshooting the mark.

Selwyn:
                  the show/hide in the List does nothing. it is only working because you have a show hide on the container.

Me:
                  What I am seeing in my test UX is that with the Show/Hide expression on the container and not on the list, is when the list is initially shown, the header displays, but not the rows. Resizing the browser causes the rows to display.
                  I have tested in Chrome and Edge with the same result.

Selwyn:
                  if it is a columnar list, then you have to call the list's refresh() method. if it is a free-form, then you don't have to do anything.

That is where the emails ended. The last message about using list's refresh() method is the key. It causes the list to render correctly.

Interesting that the refresh() method is only needed for columnar list.

I am wondering what event is best to use to fire the refresh(). If I use the onChange event of the ShowHide control, it requires a timeout, but it works.

Comment

Like I said... it's a bug... but now it's a bug that Selwyn won't fix. There's no indication anywhere that would lead to the conclusion that a Refresh() is required on a columnar List. And, you're right, a setTimeout is required. I'm afraid you got a half thought out, half answer. Did you send the component with the bug report?

Sorry, not a bug, an unintended, undocumented behaviour. I'm shaking my head again.

Why does it work when the expression is placed on both the Container and the List? I'll bet there's a Refresh() going on in there somewhere.
                    Why does he say it will work only on the Container... when clearly it doesn't?

I would suggest leaving the expression on the List... because it works... but... I wouldn't be surprised if Selwyn added code to disable a List Client Show/Hide expression.

Further, if the List Client Side Show/Hide Expression property has no effect... why does it show up in the property list?

It's this kind of stuff that kills the Rapid in Rapid Development. Any time you save elsewhere is sucked dry by these bugs.

Finally, check your console... are you seeing the 26 console errors I'm seeing?

Comment

I've become accustomed to using the lists's resize() method when ever I encounter list rendering issues. It's always worked out for my instances. I attached a sample component.

I set the container show/hide to false (list's show/hide remains empty). The list to fill that container. The button now toggles the display of the container then fires the resize().
                      Attached Files
                      Mike Brown - Contact Me
                      Programmatic Technologies, LLC
                      Programmatic-Technologies.com
                      Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

Yes I did send the component with the bug report. I suspect that Selwyn may not have looked at the component.

And I am seeing console errors.

Mike - I will definitely look at your sample. I seem to have list rendering issues that have cropped up recently.

Comment

Not surprised. It seems Alpha is paying as much attention to bug reports as to internal quality control and testing.

Comment

Just do what he said - use the refresh and move on. It woks.
                            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                            Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                            US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

This absolutely worked before the update.

Comment

Working...
                              X