Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Build 6232-5386 Memory Leak - How to fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build 6232-5386 Memory Leak - How to fix

Hi Everyone,

I am just passing this along, Alpha might have a different opinion on this but it worked for me. The is for the classic application server, not IIS.

The latest release 6232-5386 has a bug fix for a memory leak:

Application Server - Memory Leak - Fixed a memory lead the property_recurse_assign() function. Since this function is used in both the UX and Grid components, web applications that used these components could see server memory increasing over time.

However, when I installed the latest release today and turned it on the memory leak problem was still there. My server went up 400 mb in memory in about 90 minutes. So I took one extra step and ran the bulk operation below:

UX Component - Bulk Operation - Starting with Build 5982, an internal change was made to the internal stored format for UX Components. While no change is needed on your part to run UX components build before 5982 with build 5982 or higher, you can optimize performance of these older UX components by editing them and resaving then with build 5982 or higher. When you resave the component, the internal stored format is updated to the newer format. You can also do this conversion using a Bulk Operation by selecting Edit, Bulk Operation, Update UX Components to V4.6.1. format.

It is recommended (but it is NOT required) that you perform this bulk operation and then republish your site.

After doing this bulk operation and republishing the components, the memory leak problem appears to be solved. So it appears that to fix this memory leak problem you do need to run the bulk operation to update your UX components. Maybe the memory leak bug fix only applies to the later V4.6.1 format, but that is just speculation on my part.

The bulk operation was very quick for 260 UX components so its easy to do.

Thanks,

Scott

Re: Build 6232-5386 Memory Leak - How to fix

Can you really fix the memory leak?

In my understanding just a pure html page is enough for WAS and memory will go up in long term (few days).

Kenneth

Comment

Hi Kenneth,

Good point, I should have clarified a bit more.

There is still a very slow memory creep over the day that requires a restart each night or every couple of days depending on usage (I use always up). But this has always been the case and in my view the nightly restart is not an issue. But the memory leak I encountered was jumping by hundreds of MB per hour and would have required multiple restarts throughout the day, so not an acceptable situation.

Cheers,

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by ssmoore1 View Post
        Hi Kenneth,

Good point, I should have clarified a bit more.

There is still a very slow memory creep over the day that requires a restart each night or every couple of days depending on usage (I use always up). But this has always been the case and in my view the nightly restart is not an issue. But the memory leak I encountered was jumping by hundreds of MB per hour and would have required multiple restarts throughout the day, so not an acceptable situation.

Cheers,

Scott
        In the end the memory leak will end to the fact that the server is unresponsive.
        So nightly restart is de facto but it should not be.

Kenneth

Comment

Thank you for this Scott. I finally had a chance to do this yesterday and watch memory usage today. Definitely did the job, and so far no new problems that may be unintended from the bulk operation.
          -Steve
          sigpic

Comment

I tried this Bulk Update and got a file copy error on about 95% of my 179 components.
            The really annoying part is that I had to click OK to acknowledge every single error that popped up.

BulkUpdateError.png

In my case, I have no idea what, if anything this bulk operation did behind the scenes.
            Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Did the last edit date change in your UX components? All of mine updated to the date/time I ran the update.
              -Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
                Did the last edit date change in your UX components? All of mine updated to the date/time I ran the update.
                No, looks like they did not update Steve.
                Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Well, no one's an expert on this point. I did this using build 6232_5386. If you are earlier than this, consider updating and trying again?

Send a bug report with a single UX in a workspace that behaves this way.

I'll be glad to try running an update on that as well if you want to send it to me. [email protected]
                  -Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes, I was on Build 6232_5386 when this didn't work. I always have the build that I'm running on in my signature.

So, I just updated to today's Official release Build 6315_5397, re-ran the bulk update and now it ran fine without any errors.
                    The timestamp on all 179 of my UX components now show the date/time I ran the bulk update.
                    Last edited by iRadiate; 12-10-2019, 12:11 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                    X