Alpha Video Training

Thread: Build 6232-5386 Memory Leak - How to fix

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Default Build 6232-5386 Memory Leak - How to fix

Hi Everyone,

I am just passing this along, Alpha might have a different opinion on this but it worked for me. The is for the classic application server, not IIS.

The latest release 6232-5386 has a bug fix for a memory leak:

Application Server - Memory Leak - Fixed a memory lead the property_recurse_assign() function. Since this function is used in both the UX and Grid components, web applications that used these components could see server memory increasing over time.

However, when I installed the latest release today and turned it on the memory leak problem was still there. My server went up 400 mb in memory in about 90 minutes. So I took one extra step and ran the bulk operation below:

UX Component - Bulk Operation - Starting with Build 5982, an internal change was made to the internal stored format for UX Components. While no change is needed on your part to run UX components build before 5982 with build 5982 or higher, you can optimize performance of these older UX components by editing them and resaving then with build 5982 or higher. When you resave the component, the internal stored format is updated to the newer format. You can also do this conversion using a Bulk Operation by selecting Edit, Bulk Operation, Update UX Components to V4.6.1. format.

It is recommended (but it is NOT required) that you perform this bulk operation and then republish your site.

After doing this bulk operation and republishing the components, the memory leak problem appears to be solved. So it appears that to fix this memory leak problem you do need to run the bulk operation to update your UX components. Maybe the memory leak bug fix only applies to the later V4.6.1 format, but that is just speculation on my part.

The bulk operation was very quick for 260 UX components so its easy to do.

Thanks,

Scott

Real Name
    Kenneth

Default Re: Build 6232-5386 Memory Leak - How to fix

Can you really fix the memory leak?

In my understanding just a pure html page is enough for WAS and memory will go up in long term (few days).

Kenneth

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Hi Kenneth,

Good point, I should have clarified a bit more.

There is still a very slow memory creep over the day that requires a restart each night or every couple of days depending on usage (I use always up). But this has always been the case and in my view the nightly restart is not an issue. But the memory leak I encountered was jumping by hundreds of MB per hour and would have required multiple restarts throughout the day, so not an acceptable situation.

Cheers,

Scott

Real Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by ssmoore1 View Post
    Hi Kenneth,

Good point, I should have clarified a bit more.

There is still a very slow memory creep over the day that requires a restart each night or every couple of days depending on usage (I use always up). But this has always been the case and in my view the nightly restart is not an issue. But the memory leak I encountered was jumping by hundreds of MB per hour and would have required multiple restarts throughout the day, so not an acceptable situation.

Cheers,

Scott
    In the end the memory leak will end to the fact that the server is unresponsive.
    So nightly restart is de facto but it should not be.

Kenneth

Volunteer Moderator Steve Workings's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steve Workings

Thank you for this Scott. I finally had a chance to do this yesterday and watch memory usage today. Definitely did the job, and so far no new problems that may be unintended from the bulk operation.
    -Steve

"Certified" Alphaholic iRadiate's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stephen

I tried this Bulk Update and got a file copy error on about 95% of my 179 components.
    The really annoying part is that I had to click OK to acknowledge every single error that popped up.

BulkUpdateError.png

In my case, I have no idea what, if anything this bulk operation did behind the scenes.
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.1.5 Build 6315-5397 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Real Name
    Steve Workings

Did the last edit date change in your UX components? All of mine updated to the date/time I ran the update.
    -Steve

Real Name
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Workings View Post
    Did the last edit date change in your UX components? All of mine updated to the date/time I ran the update.
    No, looks like they did not update Steve.
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.1.5 Build 6315-5397 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Real Name
    Steve Workings

Well, no one's an expert on this point. I did this using build 6232_5386. If you are earlier than this, consider updating and trying again?

Send a bug report with a single UX in a workspace that behaves this way.

I'll be glad to try running an update on that as well if you want to send it to me. steve@workings.com
    -Steve

Real Name
    Stephen

Yes, I was on Build 6232_5386 when this didn't work. I always have the build that I'm running on in my signature.

So, I just updated to today's Official release Build 6315_5397, re-ran the bulk update and now it ran fine without any errors.
    The timestamp on all 179 of my UX components now show the date/time I ran the bulk update.
    Last edited by iRadiate; Yesterday at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo