Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help with Filtering Lists using currentUser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Filtering Lists using currentUser

Hi All

I am very new to Alpha Anywhere and am currently in the process of building my first application.

By searching and reading through documentation I have been able to get my app working almost perfectly but i think I have now just read to much and ended up confusing myself so I have one last thing I need to get right and that is filtering the data in a SQL table by the current logged in user.

Now this is where the confusion start I have read so much about variables and arguments I am now not sure which one to use or how to use the correct one. From what I have read and if I understand correctly I should be doing it with Arguments.

I have a standard mobile login UX that then I have embedded my other UX component into that I have designed that contain a couple of MSSQL list and this all works except for the filtering part, all of the records contain a email address that then matches the email address I have setup for user login.

So the question I ask if some one can please point me in the direction of a video or a document that can assist me with this it would be greatly appreciated. I have tried so many different things and just cant seem to understand why it is not working.

Please let me know if there is any additional information that you would require. I am currently running V12 build 6296

Thanks

Re: Help with Filtering Lists using currentUser

So many way to do this. One of the simplest is to use the List Control features.

In the List Control, set up an Argument... e.g. ARGCURRUSER. In the property "Get argument value from" select "Get value for current logged in user". A property should now be shown named "Current Logged-in User". For Value there are many choices available in a dropdown... e.g. CurrentLoggedInUserName.

Now change your List sql statement, or add a filter... based on your Argument.

If there is documentation on any of this... it is very well hidden.

Comment

Hi David

Thanks for the quick reply I also thought it would be as simple as that and was the first thing I tried as it seemed to be the easiest unless I missed something I have attached some images maybe I have missed something thought it may have to do with delayed rendering so switched that on also thought that persist to local strage may be causing a problem so I have turned this off.

Below is the setup of my argument which has been done on the UX that gets focus after login

Argument.png

Then this is the filter that I have put on to the List

Filter.png

Just thought I would also include the user list and a snip of the SQL table just in case

userlist.png
      sqltabledata.png

Thanks Warren

Comment

There's lot of stuff going on in Alpha... using variables server-side and client-side... so it's important to ensure you know what a thing is when you see it. You set up an Argument... LOGGEDUSER. Stick 'ARG' in front of it... then you know what is it when you see it. Doing this throughout an application makes things easy to understand... not only for you... but for anyone wandering through the app. And... it's not really a LOGGEDUSER. You're not maintaining a Log for that user. LOGGEDINUSER explains fully what it is.

I'll assume Address1 is a Login Username. If so... and if you can... change the field name. Address1 is a postal address - it always has been - and always will be.
        Change it to UserName or something else definitive... not a name that could mean several things.

When you set up the filter... Address1 = :CURRENTUSER... did you type it in? I'm assuming you did because there is no Argument CURRENTUSER. You have a button in that dialog... "Insert Argument". Use it. Not only do you not have type in your filter... but you also don't have to remember something that you're bound to get wrong the first time. Click that button and choose the only Argument you set up... LOGGEDUSER.

Your filter will then be Address1 = :LOGGEDUSER.

Since you'd already had all this set up, your first post should have included all this information. I wouldn't have had to explain something to you that you already had done, and you would have had your answer.
        Last edited by Davidk; 12-06-2019, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Hi David

Thanks alot for the input I will makes some design changes as soon as I am back at the office and revert.

Apologies about the original post will in future provided additional informations

Regards

Warren

Comment

Hi David

Thanks for all you help I made all the changes to the database as you suggested and it now look alot better but on intial test I still cound not get this to work then after reviewing everything I was doing and your reference you made to server-side/client-side I realised the really silly mistake I was making.

When publishing I was only publishing the updated build to phonegap for the mobile app but was not publishing the update to my alpha anywhere application server setup in azure as soon as I published the update to the app server everything started to work as expected.

Have a great day and thanks for the guidance

Regards

Warren

Comment

Glad it all worked out. Yes... that server publishing has bit all of us... more that a few times.

Comment

Working...
              X