New call-to-action

Thread: Display Issue in a set on a network

Real Name
    Patrick Buono

Default Display Issue in a set on a network

I have an application with a set, the parent is has a control number field (auto incremented) related to the child table via the control number. When two users are entering records in the child table at the same time the records from one show on the others table . This is only a display issue because if I refresh the table the records not related drop from view. I'm using version 12.6.1.2 build 6012

Any ideas why this is happening? Does the Shortcut parameter for the Start in have anything to do with it? Or perhaps the users are using the same temp files?

Any help would be welcome

Thanks
    Pat

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Default Re: Display Issue in a set on a network

The only 100% and most simple solution to this kind of issues is having users enter data into xdialog and then to tables and not use forms.
    Mike W

Real Name
    Patrick Buono

I agree but the client wants it in a a browse/column form

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by sicomputerguy View Post
    I have an application with a set, the parent is has a control number field (auto incremented) related to the child table via the control number. When two users are entering records in the child table at the same time the records from one show on the others table . This is only a display issue because if I refresh the table the records not related drop from view. I'm using version 12.6.1.2 build 6012

Any ideas why this is happening? Does the Shortcut parameter for the Start in have anything to do with it? Or perhaps the users are using the same temp files?

Any help would be welcome

Thanks
    Pat
    The short answer is that is the way it was designed to work for autoincrement.

ie - Look at the largest value on file and then increment it by 1 for predisplay.

Then at save time, re-evaluate to see if something changed in the interim and adjust accordingly to avoid duplication issues. (ie pick a higher number)

Another option has its draw back in that a partial entry maybe abandoned and a missing number could occur.

The third option is to write a custom incremental system that records the abandoned numbers and uses them prior to adding to the maximum value. Of course its drawback is sequential numbers might not chronological.

So pick one of these options or design another.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Patrick Buono

Al

Thanks for the reply. The issue isn't the duplication of the control number as I save the parent record before any child records are entered. The child records that show under the wrong control number have the correct control number on them. refreshing the browse corrects the problem

Pat

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by sicomputerguy View Post
    Al

Thanks for the reply. The issue isn't the duplication of the control number as I save the parent record before any child records are entered. The child records that show under the wrong control number have the correct control number on them. refreshing the browse corrects the problem

Pat
    I didn't say the control number would duplicate, it's the pre-save display that can get confusing.

I'd suggest posting an example app or show a video of what you are seeing to help us diagnose it and suggest a solution.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.