Alpha Video Training

Thread: wireframe, mockups

Real Name
    Paul Ammoun

Default wireframe, mockups

hello,
    does anybody uses a wireframe or mockup tools before building the app in alpha?
    I have read a lot about the benefit of making mockups before starting the development.
    I am wondering how useful it is when using a rad tool like alpha.

I get a lot of complaints that the user interface I make is not "pretty". I usual use the standard components of AA

Thanks for any input.

"Certified" Alphaholic mikeallenbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Brown

Default Re: wireframe, mockups

If you want "pretty" UX design then getting to know and understand HTML and CSS is a must. I'm not an artist nor an UX design wizard so this is something I struggle with too. I often look around the internet (google searches) for design, color, layout, etc. inspiration. Out of the box Alpha isn't going to get you that look you're after in my opinion.
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant

"Certified" Alphaholic glenschild's Avatar
    Real Name
    Glen Schild

I have used Flairbuilder to create wireframe's but it does involved a fair amount of work so the project needs to be of a decent size to justify the time spent. Having said that by mocking up the required flow and getting client sign off before even starting the build in Alpha can save a huge amount of time down the road.

The other challenge as Mike has mentioned is the html/css skillset. In a perfect world the wireframe style would be what you can replicate during the actual build.
    Glen Schild

My Blog

Real Name
    Paul Ammoun

Hi,
    Thank you for the answers.
    I have fair knowledge with adobe xd, the main issue is that to replicate what was done in the mockups in alpha is time extensive.
    in order to tweak the grid or list to have the look and feel of the standard wireframe kits is tedious and do takes a lot of time and knowledge in css and html.
    I was wondering if there were some wireframe kits that have a look close to alpha components.
    That would be an easy way to make wireframes that are easily doable in alpha.
    The problem with starting directly in alpha, we have to link the lists and grid to the tables, then after looking at it, if we need to change something in the functionality. We have to start again, either merging component of using another control etc..

Real Name
    Daniel Binns

I used to create mockups for user buy in but honestly I found that it was almost as quick and far more useful to create these mockups right in Alpha. Keep in mind these are all mobile PGB apps.

That way we could go through the flow and layout on a real device. Basically just setting up panels, layout and navigation no connection strings or save functions or anything.

Real Name
    Matthew Shoemate

A great tool is codepen, there is a ton of CSS, HTML, and JS markups out there to up your CSS/HTML design. There are hundreds of examples of about anything you want and you can make your own markups as well. I use it quite often if I want to mess around with CSS.

I don't know if that helps/remotely answers your question, but it certainly helps me accomplish what I want for user interface/design..